Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
recover sony ebooks

I used to have a Sony PRS-505 a while ago which I do not have it anymore. Now I am using a Kindle Keyboard. I had spent quite a while on ebooks for my Sony back when I had it, a couple of hundred EUR. Is there any way to get these ebooks? They where in epub format if I remember correctly and Kindle is managing this or if not then perhaps I can convert them using Calibre.
It would be a shame not to be able to get somehow the ebooks since I have already paid the copyright.

Thanks!
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Install "Calibre", if you don't have it already, and then Google for "Apprentice Alf". Alf is your friend in these matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Aprentice Alf seems to be about removing the DRM, but first how can I download the epub books for which I have paid in the past on my computer?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you not keep a backup of them when you bought them?

If you don't have a backup, you MAY be able to re-download them from the bookstores that you bought the books from, but the bookstore is certainly under no obligation to store books for you indefinitely.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Well, sorry but I didn't keep any backup. It should not be a backup of my files online, it's something that I paid for already, the epub files are anyway on Sony ebookstore website. I just want to be able to download them again. It's not something illegal, it's something I paid for. On amazon I can anytime re-download a book which I already purchased. That is why I am now using a Kindle. I am wondering if there is any way to re-download my ebooks from the Sony ebook store.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not being familiar with the Sony bookstore, I don't know if they allow you do re-download your books or not. Typically at ePub bookstores there's something like a "My Account" section of the store where you can see your past purchases and re-download them. Does the Sony store have nothing of that nature?

A hint for the future: keep backups of EVERYTHING. You are the only one who can guarantee to keep your files safe. As soon as you buy a book, strip the DRM and keep the file somewhere safe. That's the only way to make sure that you'll have it in the future.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

I have installed the Sony Reader software on my computer and after logging in to my Sony account I am able to download my files. Sorry for the trouble. Now I will try to figure it how to convert them for use on my Kindle.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's good to hear. Pleased that you were able to retrieve them. Remove the DRM, and then for goodness sake copy them somewhere safe!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by codrutoctavian View Post
I have installed the Sony Reader software on my computer and after logging in to my Sony account I am able to download my files. Sorry for the trouble. Now I will try to figure it how to convert them for use on my Kindle.
I was just going to suggest this. Once you bought something from Sony's ebook store, they keep it in your account, you can always log back in and re-download there.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I was just going to suggest this. Once you bought something from Sony's ebook store, they keep it in your account, you can always log back in and re-download there.
Supposedly.

And so far, yes.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Supposedly. And so far, yes.
Well, yes. I regularly back up the contents of my 950 to my Box account, just in case.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote