Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Question Xoom, Honeycomb, ereader app that works

Got a new Xoom on release in Australia a few days ago, excellent, apart from the fact that i cannot read or download my ebooks to it, have tried apps such as Alkido, Ireader, Moon plus , etc. These all download, but for some reason will not recognise my books and I cannot work out how to transfer them from the laptop. Incidentally Win 7 recognises Xoom as a device not as a driver, but apart from this the problem is one of recognition. only one out of approx 500, has been recognised this was a DRM epub, bought from Borders Australia.

Kobo is installed on the Xoom but wont let me access my books because I am not in USA (my partners Ipad2 has no problem) I cannot download my Sony books because the Sony app will not download to Australia, the same applies to the Borders USA site, the Australian Borders site does not download the app to Xoom; but it is coming soon? they say (because they are in liquidation I seriously doubt it) in spite of the fact that Sony, Borders and Kobo download full versions to my laptop (Win7/64). All i need is a magic app that will allow me to access my books on the Xoom.

Any suggestions

All I need is for some benign, intelligent genius out there to solve my problem for me, pleeeeese

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Your magic app is MarketEnabler. It will let you download US only apps.

Or a US VPN, of course. If you have a Windows 7 laptop you can also set up a VPN there and then share your connection via your WiFi.

Last edited by HansTWN; 06-11-2011 at 03:45 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Yea it works, at least sufficiently to enable me to transfer the books I am currently reading, I used the Market Enabler combined with Calibre Library transfer.

Thanks heaps. I did not really understand the last paragraph of your help, but all's good.

Eventually the Australian branches of Borders and Sony, might get around to honeycomb apps, but i wouldn't hold my breath

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
VPN stands for "virtual private network". What it means is that you first connect to another computer (called server) and get your further outgoing connection through that server. So if that server is in the US, then websites will think you are in the US.

There are many free VPN services, but also fast and stable ones you have to pay for.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
Got a new Xoom on release in Australia a few days ago, excellent, apart from the fact that i cannot read or download my ebooks to it, have tried apps such as Alkido, Ireader, Moon plus , etc. These all download, but for some reason will not recognise my books and I cannot work out how to transfer them from the laptop. Incidentally Win 7 recognises Xoom as a device not as a driver, but apart from this the problem is one of recognition. only one out of approx 500, has been recognised this was a DRM epub, bought from Borders Australia.

Kobo is installed on the Xoom but wont let me access my books because I am not in USA (my partners Ipad2 has no problem) I cannot download my Sony books because the Sony app will not download to Australia, the same applies to the Borders USA site, the Australian Borders site does not download the app to Xoom; but it is coming soon? they say (because they are in liquidation I seriously doubt it) in spite of the fact that Sony, Borders and Kobo download full versions to my laptop (Win7/64). All i need is a magic app that will allow me to access my books on the Xoom.

Any suggestions

All I need is for some benign, intelligent genius out there to solve my problem for me, pleeeeese

John
Most convenient way:
Install "WiFi File Explorer Pro" from the market.
Via web browser on PC or Mac you can copy your books to the Xoom. For now obviously to internal memory, but working flawlessly.
For "Aldiko", put the books in the folder "eBooks/import". Then import them.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
Try Mantano ebook reader, its cost about 6 usd, but worth every penny, there is a 7 day trial available that i used before i bought it.
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Have you tried FBReader? I'm using it a bit more these days since the last release, it's getting better and better.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
marino.DV
Groupie
marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.marino.DV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Had the same problem in Europe and the VPN advice is the one to go. It does give you a little headache but after making it happen it's worth the effort
marino.DV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
wsoomro
wsoomro began at the beginning.

Device: none
I Think
Komik Reader Is Best For Honeycomb
See Market Link:
market.android.com/details?id=com.komik.free
wsoomro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAL604622 View Post
Try Mantano ebook reader, its cost about 6 usd, but worth every penny, there is a 7 day trial available that i used before i bought it.
There's a free version supported by ads now. The trial version is no longer available.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperbVPN View Post
Hello everybody,
I am using Australian VPN with Superb VPN Services and I am very satisfied. Speed is fine and connection is reliable.
And it just happens to share your username, wow how cool is that?

And you found it for your first and only post to this forum, amazing!!

Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My thought exactly! And first post as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote