Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #31
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Mackx,

On my DR800S beta firmware 2.0r3 (0629). Xournal 0.6 freezes the DR800S completely after only a few lines / scribbles. I can usually scribble about 4 to 5 lines before it freezes.

Only a reset of the DR800S helps. Using the original _v9b version does not have this behavior and the app is very usable.

Any ideas?

Regards Bran
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi Bran,

I know that there is a problem that can cause a hangup (it has always been there also in the old versions). It seems to be related to a full screen refresh combined with a scribble update. On the DR1000 they normally happen when one of the keys is pressed, causing the next page (and thus a full screen update) to be shown. So normally I enable key-lock when scribbling. I do not know what is causing the problem on the DR800.

Are there more people using this version on the DR800? Do they see the same problem?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #33
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Hi Bran,

I know that there is a problem that can cause a hangup (it has always been there also in the old versions). It seems to be related to a full screen refresh combined with a scribble update. On the DR1000 they normally happen when one of the keys is pressed, causing the next page (and thus a full screen update) to be shown. So normally I enable key-lock when scribbling. I do not know what is causing the problem on the DR800.

Are there more people using this version on the DR800? Do they see the same problem?
FYI I'm using the DR1000 uds hack with DR800+ from Iņigo.

What is key-lock? On the DR800S there appear to be few full-screen refreshes. In the notes application I sometimes have create a full refresh to get it to display the latest lines scribbles. Often pressing the menu key, and pressing it again helps. In notes its annoying as you are drawing a picture. and 50% or more of the lines disappear and only a full refresh helps. That is why I started look at Xournal and the 'paper'lines really help.

I gather you only have a DR1000, so you cannot really test. I'm willing to test trial builds from you on my DR800S. I also have the dev environment setup but that does not act exactly like the device. The dropping of lines in notes never happens there.

Regards bran.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Key-lock is a DR1000 specific thing. I do not think that the DR800+ hack will do anything when xournal is running, so that is probably not the cause. Lets see if others also see the problem.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #35
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
Key-lock is a DR1000 specific thing. I do not think that the DR800+ hack will do anything when xournal is running, so that is probably not the cause. Lets see if others also see the problem.
OK, will do.
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Hi Bran,

I haven't been able to reproduce it on my DR800S.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I haven't been able to reproduce it on my DR800S.

Iņigo
Iņigo,

my DR800S

- ext2 filesystem on sd card
- DR800+ full version with DR1000 UDS
- RC3 firmware
- Xournal 0.6

Xournal 0.6 freezes DR800S very soon after start of app
Xournal _v9b does not freeze my DR800S

Regards bran
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #38
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
Iņigo,

my DR800S

- ext2 filesystem on sd card
- DR800+ full version with DR1000 UDS
- RC3 firmware
- Xournal 0.6

Xournal 0.6 freezes DR800S very soon after start of app
Xournal _v9b does not freeze my DR800S

Regards bran
The only difference with my machine is that my SD card is formatted with vfat, not ext2, but this should not be a problem.

Have you observed the same freeze on qemu? Try to copy your <sd>/Programs/_xournal there to check it.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #39
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Have you observed the same freeze on qemu? Try to copy your <sd>/Programs/_xournal there to check it.
Also some files from Programs/_base are needed!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #40
Mackx
Guru

Xournal-dr-0.7

I updated the first message of this thread with a new update for Xournal with:
- The last page is now saved when a file is closed.
This used to work for the old firmware and is not re-activated again.
- Using sysSetBgBusy/sysResetBgBusy to prevent sleep mode (idle) of the device. This improves handling of big documents.
When no activity is detected by the firmware, the reader goes to idle-mode to save power. This can cause problems when a lot of 'background-processing' is used. A mechanism is now used to prevent idel-mode from starting when loading new files and when exporting/merging to pdf.
- Some minor bug fixes from the original distribution are taken over.
- Key processing changed:
- - focus is restored to the 'canvas' more at more occasions
- - holding middle on one side (L/R) and taping on up/down on the other side jumps to first/last page
This should improve the behaviour of key handling a lot. Until now keys where missed or the page-entry widget was selected causing the keyboard to pop-up.
- Screen update mechanism changed, using the new display_control-functions. The screen is now much less often updated leading to a better writting experience.
The screen is now not updated anymore after one second of inactivity, which was very unpleasant when writing.
As always, please keep giving your feedback.
Marcel.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #41
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for the update Marcel. I appreciate your work for the community.

A (very) quick test ran smoothly on my DR1000, except for one thing. If I want to insert text through the text tool, the on-screen keyboard does not show up. I remember this worked in a previous version, but I don't know if I also tested this in 0.6. At least it does not appear to work in 0.7.

Xournal is still a very valuable addition to the DR1000 though!

Thanks,
Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #42
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
A (very) quick test ran smoothly on my DR1000, except for one thing. If I want to insert text through the text tool, the on-screen keyboard does not show up. I remember this worked in a previous version, but I don't know if I also tested this in 0.6. At least it does not appear to work in 0.7.
I did not test that, it could be that my new 'refresh disabling'-code prevents the keyboard from showing. Unfortunately I forgot my DR at home this morning, so I cannot check myself. I will check this weekend and try to solve it. (Maybe the screen is properly updated when you show and remove the (DR-)menu, as a work-around)?)

PS: It is possible to have version 0.6 and 0.7 both 'installed'. Rename the old executable from the 0.6-zip-file and copy it to the xournal-bin-folder (\Programs\_xournal\bin\xournal), make a copy of the .desktop-file (\Programs\xournal.desktop) and change the Name and Exec line. (Assuming 0.7 is already installed.)
Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #43
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Dear Marcel,

It also installs and works well on my device with two caveats: the keyboard indeed does not show up and when used in landscape mode, which can be useful for a better support of the writing hand, the text does not appear where one writes it, but in the other corner as if it still was in portrait mode. (I believe that with the old version, it appeared at the place of writing after a couple of seconds, but in the current one, it stays in the other corner).

Thanks for a great application!
G

Last edited by fekhner; 11-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #44
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Marcel,

The writing works perfectly now! I wanted to let you know that the keyboard comes up when setting the zoom and when you execute a "save as." I still have to press the battery status to get Xournal to display a 10-page .xoj file I created.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #45
Mackx
Guru

Hi Glenn and Thomas,

Thanks for giving the feedback, it seems that the new update policy makes writing work much better, but it has also broken some features. I will search for a solution as soon as possible.

If there are more problems please post them here.

Marcel.

Tags
xournal