Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Old news: Sony PRS-505 wins international red dot design award - 2008

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I've seen no mention of it in any search.

I realize there has been a lot of innovation since 2008, but I thought this award was worth a mention, as does SONY @ Sonystyle.ca. I like my PRS-505 and this is just my way of proudly showing it off.
(The design competition for the 2009 awards is still open, maybe another eBook reader will win again.)

Quote:
About red dot design award

With more than 11,000 submissions from 61 countries, the international “red dot design award” is the largest and most renowned design competition in the world.
Quote:

PRS-505
Portable Reader System

Award "red dot: best of the best" in the category Entertainment technology and cameras

red dot award: product design 2008
red dot: best of the best
Sony Corporation
Quote:
A bookshelf for the pocket
The book market booms and against all predictions people barely read less in the digital era than before. Many attempts have already been made to offer an alternative to the printed medium by digitising the “written word” and creating a sensible and easy-to-use reading system. The PRS-505 is a digital portable reader system that can be carried around in the pocket just like a small book and which, against this background, offers many innovative features. It is housed in a compact and very slim body that is only 7.8 mm thick, but since aluminium is very robust, this device is nonetheless highly impact resistant, long lasting and suited for everyday use. The design boasts several other interesting features: first of all its the storage capacity – though compact and lightweight, the built-in memory can hold up to 160 volumes worth of eBook data. Secondly, its improved display has a clearly laid out intuitive graphical interface which is comfortable and soft on the eyes even during long hours of reading. This display is also reader-friendly through its technology: The 6” display is high contrast with eight instead of four grey scale levels; the high resolution of the display is almost comparable to an actual piece of paper. Unlike LCD screens, the display does not need an internal light source; instead, it reflects the light of the surroundings to display the text and in doing so offers a very wide viewing angle. And, as if this highly interesting device did not entirely want to leave behind the characteristics of a book, the design features a specially provided cover with hooks at the inside of the spine – enabling the unit to be encased like a loose-leaf binder.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote