Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
When I plug my Kobo into my computer the card shows up as another USB drive letter. I used Calibre to load it up. No problems.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
... I called Kobo support and they said that I can't just drag a drop the files onto the card, that I have to use digital editions (which actually doesn't work for some reason when I have the Kobo plugged in) to transfer.
I just realized the ADE does not see my pdf files on the card. Weird.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just loaded my SD Card by putting it in my laptop and copying the files to it, then I put it in my Kobo and turned on the reader.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
ComingOfShadows
ComingOfShadows began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
...I called Kobo support and they said that I can't just drag a drop the files onto the card, that I have to use digital editions (which actually doesn't work for some reason when I have the Kobo plugged in) to transfer...
That's very strange, I have never used ADE to load my card, I am not even sure if it can see it. The only reason you should need to use ADE is if the ePUB files have DRM on them. Most of the ones on My card are ePUB comics I made myself.

The only issue I've had with the card is the initial load processing time when adding 1,000s of files and the Fact that the Kobo desktop App resets the DB each time it syncs.
ComingOfShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingOfShadows View Post
That's very strange, I have never used ADE to load my card, I am not even sure if it can see it. The only reason you should need to use ADE is if the ePUB files have DRM on them. Most of the ones on My card are ePUB comics I made myself.

The only issue I've had with the card is the initial load processing time when adding 1,000s of files and the Fact that the Kobo desktop App resets the DB each time it syncs.
Then could it be my card that's the problem? The woman I talked to said that it only loaded pdf's and only acted as an extended memory.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #21
ComingOfShadows
ComingOfShadows began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Then could it be my card that's the problem? The woman I talked to said that it only loaded pdf's and only acted as an extended memory.
When you attach the Kobo with the card inserted does it show up as an additional USB drive on your Computer? i.e. 1 drive letter for the Kobo Reader and a second removable USB drive letter for the card?

If it does not show up there but does work OK in a card reader, then I suppose it’s possible that there is a compatibility issue with your card and the Kobo. If this is the case you can try a different brand card, though I would also recommend emailing Kobo support to let them know of the issue so they can possibly correct it in the future. Also, you can try loading a PDF on it to see if that works.

If it does show up as a drive correctly while connected via the Kobo, you may want to check the format of your SD card to make sure it has not been formatted to something non-standard like ext2 or exFat that the Kobo may not be able to read.
ComingOfShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
You people sound like you know what you're doing and I am computer illiterate so excuse the dumb question but why do you need more than the 1000 books that the reader will hold without a card?

I don't want to miss out on something. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
You people sound like you know what you're doing and I am computer illiterate so excuse the dumb question but why do you need more than the 1000 books that the reader will hold without a card?

I don't want to miss out on something. :-)
I don't think it's a capacity issue, I think it's a mobility issue. Maybe they have a PDA or other devices they read on?

Alternatively, perhaps they're preparing for the apocalypse or judgment day? lol
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
What file-system is your card formatted to? (plug it in to the computer, right click on the drive in my computer and go to properties. FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc)

I just tried with a NTFS formatted card and unsurprisingly it doesn't work. FAT and FAT32 both do.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-11-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #25
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
What file-system is your card formatted to? (plug it in to the computer, right click on the drive in my computer and go to properties. FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc)

I just tried with a NTFS formatted card and unsurprisingly it doesn't work. FAT and FAT32 both do.
Thanks for trying to help be but surprise, surprise, Kobo support was wrong. There was just something about that card that it didn't work. I had a 125MB card (same brand) and it worked just fine.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote