Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I feel it should be lowercase for internets in general (any network of networks) but the global Internet should be capitalised since it's a singular thing.
The earth is also a singular thing. It is usually not capitalised.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I use an initial cap to signify an entity. Hence, 'the internet' vs Multivax (Asimov's 'internet' AI). And, for that matter, 'the sky' vs 'Blue Sky Mining' The sky is singular, if experientially subjective (but then, you could argue that the internet is experientially subjective, too, depending on your physical location and your technical expertise) - it is NOT an entity.

My opinion? When I start thinking of the internet as having its own personality, I will capitalise it. I've been on the net for 15 years and I've NEVER called it the Internet.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #18
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Why dont we just get it over with and ask Al Gore?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I think both the Internet and Earth should be capitalised.

They're both proper nouns, and are the name of a specific thing. The Internet refers to one particular global network, Earth is the name of one particular planet in our solar system.

But both are used in non-caps enough that I guess it doesn't really matter.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grammar, internet, lowercase