Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Barnes & Noble to sell own electronic reader-WSJ

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Bookseller Barnes & Noble will soon sell its own electronic reader, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday, in a move that could further heat up the competition in the nascent market currently dominated by Amazon.com Kindle.

The wireless touchscreen device could be sold as soon as next month, said the newspaper, citing sources briefed on the matter.

In July, the company unveiled an online digital bookstore that it touted as the world's largest, with over 700,000 titles that could be read on devices like Apple's iPhone.

It also said then that it would be the exclusive provider of digital content on the Plastic Logic e-reader, due in early 2010.

The Wall Street Journal did not cite a retail price for the new Barnes & Noble device.

The company could not be reached immediately for comment.

Barnes & Noble received approval from the Federal Communications Commission for its device in September, the newspaper reported." (Reporting by Alexandria Sage)

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0091008?rpc=44
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I'm really excited about this and it's holding me back from a kindle 2 right now...
speculated to have a 6 inch touchscreen with wireless just like the kindle.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Isn't this the IREX?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It also said then that it would be the exclusive provider of digital content on the Plastic Logic e-reader, due in early 2010.
If this is actually true, then it means that the specs of the Plastic-Logic are wrong.

• PDF
• DOC
• DOCX
• XLS
• XLSX
• PPT
• PPTX
• JPEG
• PNG
• TEXT
• HTML
• BMP
• RTF
• ePub

No place does it mention PDB (eReader) which is what B&N sell. Something is rather fishy here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If this is actually true, then it means that the specs of the Plastic-Logic are wrong.

• PDF
• DOC
• DOCX
• XLS
• XLSX
• PPT
• PPTX
• JPEG
• PNG
• TEXT
• HTML
• BMP
• RTF
• ePub

No place does it mention PDB (eReader) which is what B&N sell. Something is rather fishy here.
I thought B&N was going Epub as well?

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Isn't this the IREX?
The I-Rex will offer B&N content, but will be sold through Best Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

• PDF
• DOC
• DOCX
• XLS
• XLSX
• PPT
• PPTX
• JPEG
• PNG
• TEXT
• HTML
• BMP
• RTF
• ePub

I'm pretty sure that list is old and has been on their site for a long time. Doesn't look like their site gets updated much.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Isn't this the IREX?
The Irex will be supplied by the B&N bookstore but they're also B&N is also coming out with their own e-reader.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Isn't this the IREX?
I don't think it's the iRex DR-800 because iRex apparently wanted to brand that device with B&N but B&N turned them down. And this is probably why . . .
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
sforce
Connoisseur

Further news...

Gzmodo is out saying that the B&N device *might* run Google's Android OS.

That would be neat. Think of all the fun developers would have creating applications.

An eReader with an open-standard operation system, running open-standard apps, for open-standard eBooks. You want folders? How long would that take an even modestly creative chap?

From Gizmodo:

"It's not certain, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best idea I've heard in a while: Barnes & Noble's rapidly-approaching eReader will be an Android piece, according to our source. And it really should be, according to me.

The leak came from someone who (quite convincingly!) claims to work for B&N developing mobile apps-his background knowledge of their app projects was startlingly deep, at any rate-and makes quite a bit of sense as an alternative to the brutally dumb software of current ebook readers.

Think about it. At six inches, it's a smallish device, and we've seen Android on similarly-sized screens already. Wireless connectivity is built into the OS. Extraneous, inappropriate software and settings could be easily stripped out and replaced with relevant ones. A custom-designed interface could be easily dropped in. Apps-oh, sweet apps-could be a huge boon. And hey, E-Ink Android drivers have already been demonstrated on video. Not to mention the fact that B&N has conveniently skirted releasing an Android app, despite putting quite a bit of effort into iPhone and BlackBerry versions of the mobile ebook sofrware.

Simply put, this would be pretty fantastic, and it's eminently plausible. And from the looks of it, we won't have to wait long to find out."

http://gizmodo.com/5377516/rumor-bar...yline=true&s=i
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Color!?!? This video with a B&N rep claims their device will be color (http://tinyurl.com/yh87d9p).

Mashable is reporting it will be color and developed by Plastic Logic. This seems unlikely though because Plastic Logic has already demonstrated their device and haven't mentioned color and e-ink doesn't support color well yet (http://tinyurl.com/m38nax).

Plus the WSJ article is referring to B&N having their own reader, what is this guy talking about?
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Xerxes
Addict

I'm thinking it'll be some sort of... MID is it. That's what the kids are calling it right?

It's funny for them to make it seem like that other company is the only one to worry about.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
juj1n
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Color!?!? This video with a B&N rep claims their device will be color (http://tinyurl.com/yh87d9p).

Mashable is reporting it will be color and developed by Plastic Logic. This seems unlikely though because Plastic Logic has already demonstrated their device and haven't mentioned color and e-ink doesn't support color well yet (http://tinyurl.com/m38nax).

Plus the WSJ article is referring to B&N having their own reader, what is this guy talking about?
What the heck?! Color?! I have no idea what this guy is talking about! What happened to the WSJ rumor of a B&N ereader early next month? If they do come out with a color reader it will be so expensive since the technology is brand new... I didn't even think that the technology was going to be available for at least a few more years. It's so hard to hold back on not buying the kindle 2 right now... I wish there were some real answers.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
sforce
Connoisseur

Well, he gave his name, said color, said Plastic Logic and repeated both color and Plastic Logic a few times--and he seemed quite lucid.

Since B&N wouldn't confirm even the WSJ story's version, I can't imagine we'll know for some time, unless PL coughs up some news.

Last edited by sforce; 10-09-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #14
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
What the heck?! Color?! I have no idea what this guy is talking about! What happened to the WSJ rumor of a B&N ereader early next month? If they do come out with a color reader it will be so expensive since the technology is brand new... I didn't even think that the technology was going to be available for at least a few more years. It's so hard to hold back on not buying the kindle 2 right now... I wish there were some real answers.
It's not going to be color e-ink. I don't think anyone thinks it will be. Does sound like B&N is putting it's eggs in all sorts of baskets though.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
sforce
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's not going to be color e-ink. I don't think anyone thinks it will be.
The Barnes and Noble guy said Plastic Logic a few times. I have never heard about PL working on anything other than e-Ink. Sounds like they may have had a breakthrough...