Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
braver
Enthusiast
braver has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Kindle Lobby

Over the last 10 years, I've bought thousands of dollars worth of books on Amazon. Now that I've got the Kindle, I thought I'd be able to upgrade some of the heavier and more used ones to digital.

Alas, the "digital upgrade" feature only allows you to read page images on the Web.

To my request for Kindle versions of the books I own, when available, Amazon replied that currently they "don't have plans" to provide such.

I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee -- sharing the OCR and distribution costs, as well as transfer. Heck, I'd pay $5. Max. OK, $10... for some.

Now this won't happen unless we all self-organize and enlist journalists and congressmen in order for this to happen. In fact it applies to the whole ebook arena. What do you guys think? What is already done or being done on this front?
braver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I am afraid I don't agree with you, as nice as it would be. If you bought a hardcover book, that would not entitle you to a free paperback version, so I can see why Amazon has that stance.

I assume it is not only Amazon, but the publishers also who feel this is not warranted.

Nice try, however.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Now this won't happen unless we all self-organize and enlist journalists and congressmen in order for this to happen.
Journalists, fine. Congresspersons, no, sorry. The very LAST thing we need is governmental involvement in ebook pricing.

Sure, I'd love to get a free digital copy of all my past print purchases. I'd also love to get CD copies of my vinyl LPs and mp3 versions of everything I've bought in one format or another. But I don't feel entitled to such...
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee
You do huh? To bad your belief doesn't equate to reality.

Did you get a free DVD of every movie you have on VHS? (I didn't) Heck, that would be really nice eh? Or, to get a free Blu-Ray version of every SD DVD movie you have.

You technically already paid for the "content" right... Yea, if only.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
The music industry has profited for years by selling and re-selling the same songs over and over again in different format: LP, 8-track, casette, CD, MP3. I'm sure that the publishing industry is eager to follow in their footsteps!

On the other hand, maybe some publishers will get together with Amazon and decide it would spur demand and bring in some extra dough if they offered substantially-discounted electronic copies (with DRM no doubt) of books that were purchased by a reader through Amazon.com that are now available on Kindle. But I agree with the various respondents that we as users have no "right" to it.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Over the last 10 years, I've bought thousands of dollars worth of books on Amazon ... I believe that as owners of paper books, we have every right to get the Kindle versions for free or only a nominal fee ...
I don't feel that Amazon is under any ethical obligation to offer free or reduced-price Kindle versions of previously purchased p-books, but it could, perhaps, be a winning marketing strategy for them; should they ever decide to do it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote