Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
srascal
Epubs for Cylons
srascal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Unhappy Image Size CSS for Sony Reader epub?

When I downloaded Reader Apps and tested my epub on it, the images in the book were all oversized and expanding past the page.

The images are indeed large, most 1200px W x 1800px H, but I use a CSS property of max-width: 600px. This fixes a similar oversized image problem on the Nook, but not when I preview the epub on Sony Reader Apps.

img {
max-width: 600px;
}

Does anyone know of a CSS property that will allow Sony Reader to shrink the images to scale?

Or, does anyone know if the Reader Apps software is accurate in displaying images? When I expand to full screen in Reader Apps, everything looks perfect. When Reader Apps is in compact mode, the images are blown up.

When I preview in ADE, the images are perfect, but of course ADE does not give you a good preview of how images will actually appear on a device.

I do not have any other CSS properties put on the images. I do not use Calibre or Sigil, only HTML and CSS. The images are sized so large in order to accomodate Kindle Fire HD 8.9; resizing each one is not an option.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Amy
srascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Have you tried:
img {
max-width: 100%;
max-height: 100%
}
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
neufsix
Connoisseur
neufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheeseneufsix can extract oil from cheese

Device: Archos A70 eReader, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T2
The safest way seems to be a SVG wrapper.
neufsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Agreed. SVG seems to work well. Anything else is just begging to run into CSS compliance bugs.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I thought there were still some devices that did not support SVG?? Is that still true???

I haven't had any problems with img {max-width:100%;max-height:100%}...that limits the image to the screen size and keeps the proper ratio. For future devices that support CSS3 you could use the "contain" property which basically does the same thing.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is a difference in support. SVG as image wrapper is supported on all ePUB devices as far as I know. However, a real SVG image is something different. The support for the SVG language is not consistent across all readers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
srascal
Epubs for Cylons
srascal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Update: the max-width: 100% and max-height: 100% worked great. The images now display correctly in Sony Reader App and Nook for Mac. Thank you very much, Turtle91!

I have stayed away from SVG tags in the past because of compatibility issues and my own general lack of knowledge. If you know of a good reference to learn about SVG in epub and mobi, please let me know.
srascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, epub, image, preview, sony reader