Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #151
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Mutations killed the eReader, radiation, chemicals and environmental effects. They could no longer propagate themselves. Ever one was different, different formats, different fonts, different screens and languages.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #152
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What I'm saying is that identical twins start with the same genome. If you claim something different you are welcome to provide proof.
That isn't what you said, you said "Ummm, identical twins genome is identical."

Which is why I responded: "Possible, but not guaranteed.
They start identical, but are then subject to random mutations."

I don't know enough to agree or disagree with what you are saying now. I would have thought that you are right.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #153
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Greed killed the eReader, Ever one was different, different formats, different fonts, different screens and languages.
But the worst Lockin and DRM.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #154
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That isn't what you said, you said "Ummm, identical twins genome is identical."

Which is why I responded: "Possible, but not guaranteed.
They start identical, but are then subject to random mutations."

I don't know enough to agree or disagree with what you are saying now. I would have thought that you are right.
Right it's not, and true to your nature you had to make a big deal out of it even though you knew exactly what I meant and that I was right.

Now, about those mutating ereaders....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
Greed killed the eReader, Ever one was different, different formats, different fonts, different screens and languages.
This really isn't true. The vast majority of readers on the market have, for many years, used the "Adobe Reader Mobile" firmware to read ePub-format books, and will perfectly happily share content. And they all (with a very small number of exceptions) use the same screens, made by the same company - eInk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #156
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
I still have hope we can get beyond that as we did with music....and video....we did get beyond it with video didn't we?

Still some issues with games I guess.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #157
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Right it's not, and true to your nature you had to make a big deal out of it even though you knew exactly what I meant and that I was right.
You started the whole argument by disagreeing with a statement you now seem to agree with. Not sure how that is my fault, or why personal attacks are necessary.
What you said was wrong, and I disagreed with it. What you now say is (I think) right, but does not contradict the post you originally complained about.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #158
kennyc

Ah see you want to carry on now with a meta argueing. How apropos.

Objecting to my objecting to a post that was not even yours. So you see, I didn't start it, you did.

BTW once the genome changes due to environmental factors they are no longer identical.

I'm still awaiting fjtorres response about them Not Being Identical before splitting. I'll await judgment on that. I suppose it's possible that 'junk dna' might not be considered part of the genome but hey I'm no genetics expert nor do I play one on the internet.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-09-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #159
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
What I'm saying is that identical twins start with the same genome.
Right, they *start* identical as a single cell.
Then a mutation in one cell, usually at the two or four cell stage causes the cell clusters to identify as "self" and "other" (yes, we are tribal down to the cellular level) and continue to develop independently with the variance (and others that accumulate) spread throughtout every cell of the resuting organism.
They *start* identical but once the variance emerges they develop and end up differently. The end-result genomes are different.

Don't want to go too far off-topic but recent full-genome studies are discovering that we are a very unstable species. So far nobody has found a Metagene or X-gene but what they are finding is that the "non-coding" regions are at least as important as the genes. The biggest surprise of the Human genome project was how small the gene count is given that were are such complex organisms; well, it turns out that the complexity starts out with how the information is stored and expressed.

The tradition 19th/20th century view of genes was akin to a pictographic writing system with each gene (symbol) representing one trait (or idea). The emerging picture is more of an alphabetic writing system where location and context changes the expression (meaning).

And that is about as far as I can take it heading back to the more familiar reading/writing territory. At least until we start using DNA to store encoded information for epub9 ebook readers.

(Whis is to say, I fully expect the dedicated reader category will persis. Doesn't mean eink will, though.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #160
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ever one was different, different formats, different fonts, different screens and languages.
Yet at the same time they weren't different enough; the all competed in the same ecological niche instead of looking for adjacent/overlapping but distinctive environs.

So we end up with one well-developed market segment with a dominant leader surrounded by a bunch of underdeveloped/underserved markets that are practically ignored.

(Ecology applies, too.)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #161
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yet at the same time they weren't different enough; the all competed in the same ecological niche instead of looking for adjacent/overlapping but distinctive environs.

So we end up with one well-developed market segment with a dominant leader surrounded by a bunch of underdeveloped/underserved markets that are practically ignored.

(Ecology applies, too.)

Survival of the fontiest!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #162
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I suppose it's possible that 'junk dna' might not be considered part of the genome but hey I'm no genetics expert nor do I play one on the internet.
There is no such thing as junk DNA. It turns out the non-coding regions are very important. That is why even the slightest mutation will either kill the embryo or split it. And statistically "kill" is the usual outcome and "split" (aka, Twin) is rare.

And no, I don't play an expert anywhere, but I've been tracking developments in molecular biology since I took BioChem in college (notgoing to admit just how long ago). It's one of the top three technologies that will mold the 21st century along with materials science and cybernetics. There's wonders ahead.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #163
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Survival of the fontiest!
Indeed!
Even Kindle has yielded! No more tyranny of Caecillia! Georgia runs everywhere!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #164
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There is no such thing as junk DNA. It turns out the non-coding regions are very important. .....
That's exactly why the quote marks around it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Death of E-Readers thread (or is that eReaders or ereaders or e_Readers???)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #165
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reading's always been a minority interest; that's not going to change.
How depressing. I keep forgetting this, Harry T. I like hanging around with the minority.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote