Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
mobyak
mobyak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app (pc,Mac,Android)
Multi-device work flows (pc,Mac,Android)

Hello!

I am not yet a Calibre user but I am looking for solutions to manage ebooks and edocs and Calibre seems highly recommended.

Most of my ebooks are from either Amazon (Kindle) or O'Reilly (variety of formats). I like to read the books on my Android tablet but need to be able to manage them better. Kindle book management - e.g. sorting the library in various ways or making notes to choose/keep track of the next read - is very poor.

I can get the books auto-downloaded to the tablet direct from Amazon, of course, (O'Reilly books are sent auto to Amazon and then to my tablet).

Then there are various other books and docs (mostly pdf) that it would be nice to corral as well.

The library management I would expect to be done on the Mac and not the tablet (necessarily).

I am looking for anecdotes from others as to what workflows work really well for them in keeping control of devices, book sources, software, folders of book files, etc.

Thanks!
mobyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For a start,once you start to use calibre you need to accept that calibre manages the folders etc where the books are stored on your Mac. Sure you can browse the directory structure and see things, but you are restricted to the naming standard and structure that calibre imposes.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mobyak - In addition to using calibre on your Mac you might want to consider using Calibre Companion on your Android tablet.

And calibre has many useful plug-ins ==>> Index of calibre plugins

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, management, workflow