Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #451
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't understand why all the libraries aren't the same. I still have the "You are user 2 out of 4 on the waiting list" information on my books on hold. I also have not had to log in with each book as some others have.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I haven't had these problems! but you'd think all the Overdrive libraries would be the same.
Mine still says x of y on the waiting list. However it doesn't say if your library has one copy or ten copies. You have to go into book details to see that. Therefore you can't easily calculate your wait time like you could before.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #452
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Mine still says x of y on the waiting list. However it doesn't say if your library has one copy or ten copies. You have to go into book details to see that. Therefore you can't easily calculate your wait time like you could before.
Ah - I see what you mean now.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #453
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I don't understand why all the libraries aren't the same. I still have the "You are user 2 out of 4 on the waiting list" information on my books on hold. I also have not had to log in with each book as some others have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I haven't had these problems! but you'd think all the Overdrive libraries would be the same.
On the Overdrive blog, they pride themselves with a list of libraries that have adopted the new design. Maybe there are librarians out there who dislike the redesign.

Out of all four libraries I have a card to, only one is left with the old design. I am banking on them being too broke to "upgrade", or the librarians too feisty.

Last edited by xendula; 02-01-2013 at 10:59 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #454
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Out of all four libraries I have a card to, only one is left with the old design. I am banking on them being too broke to "upgrade", or the librarians too feisty.
For some reason, I don't think the libraries were given a choice. Might be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that all libraries would be converted by end of 1Q2013.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #455
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the Overdrive blog, they pride themselves with a list of libraries that have adopted the new design. Maybe there are librarians out there who dislike the redesign.

My library (NC) does have the new design, it just doesn't have the specific problems I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't understand why all libraries with the new design don't have the same problems.

You are lucky to have a library left that still has the old design!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #456
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For some reason, I don't think the libraries were given a choice. Might be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that all libraries would be converted by end of 1Q2013.
Oh no, there goes my hope ...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #457
xendula
eBookworm

Unhappy

Quote:
My library (NC) does have the new design, it just doesn't have the specific problems I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't understand why all libraries with the new design don't have the same problems.

You are lucky to have a library left that still has the old design!
Not for long, by the sound of it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #458
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Oh no, there goes my hope ...
Sorry, found the Overdrive Blog post that said the "Next Generation" garbage would be rolled out to ALL libraries in 1st quarter 2013.

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...-on-christmas/

It's the last sentence of the post by our "friend" Michael from Overdrive.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #459
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Sorry, found the Overdrive Blog post that said the "Next Generation" garbage would be rolled out to ALL libraries in 1st quarter 2013.

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/20...-on-christmas/

It's the last sentence of the post by our "friend" Michael from Overdrive.
Thanks, Fizzy, I added a comment, partly in order to to get librarians who frequent their to start thinking. It's awaiting moderation, so here's hoping they'll let it go through despite its critical tone. I'll copy it below just in case.
I realize I was rambling, though it was supposed to just be one short paragraph. I giess I feel very strongly about the redesign.

Quote:
Xendula
February 3rd, 2013 at 13:41 | #3
Reply | Quote
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Since many users dislike the redesign, as documented in the below Mobileread.com link, could you please add an option for “CLASSIC VIEW”?
We’d like to continue being able to see a series name, installment number (!!) format options, publication date, patrons on wishlist, and copies owned when browsing on the overview page, instead of just the chopped book title and author name.

Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198713

The new design makes browsing very difficult, and I am now wasting so much time just trying to figure out the reading order of series, or even finding out the title of a book. To have titles be chopped off by graphics is unforgivable, really – please get some usabilty experts on board.

Also, please let me see ALL formats on my iPad. You are welcome to add a disclaimer that WMAs cannot be downloaded onto tablets and phones, but please let me see them and check them out – I promise I’ll use my PC to download them!! Why hide 60% of all audiobooks from users?

Additionally, I can now now longer download ebooks from a tablet, because I have to select the format from a drop-down from a PC first, which automatically downloads a copy. Isn’t the whole point of a redesign to make things easier?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #460
4691mls
Wizard

Yesterday I received an email notice that a book I had on hold is available. Went to the library site today to check it out. However, it's not actually available - under my Holds, it still says I am #2 of 15 on the waiting list.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #461
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Yesterday I received an email notice that a book I had on hold is available. Went to the library site today to check it out. However, it's not actually available - under my Holds, it still says I am #2 of 15 on the waiting list.
Could it be a different library? I have been known to put same book on hold at two places and forget about it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #462
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I had this happen; got a notification email, went to the site, and could not not see the download link. Turns out the new design would not let me download from any of my tablets, iPod or Android phones:
When there is more than one choice of format, I have to log in from a PC, select the format, then click download (it on't keep the selection until you click the download link), whether I want the book on my computer or not (and I never do, unless it's a WMA and I have no choice), and only after THAT can I download it from my portable devices.

Way to go, Overdrive! Way to go!

Last edited by xendula; 02-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #463
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Could it be a different library? I have been known to put same book on hold at two places and forget about it.
I belong to only one library, so that's not the issue. I've never had this happen before, with either the old or new site design. Guess I'd better keep checking my holds every couple days in case the site doesn't send me an email when the book actually does become available.

I hope that when it is available, I won't have the problem Xendula reports with downloading!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #464
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I have to check my holds list frequently. Last Friday I noticed that a book was available (finally) from my local library and they had sent me an email that morning. When I checked (new mail, old mail, spam mail) I didn't see it, but went ahead and downloaded the book anyway. Then, yesterday afternoon I finally got the email (3 days had gone by) and this particular library has a hold time limit of 48 hrs.

The library says they emailed me Friday morning and my ISP says the email wasn't sent until yesterday afternoon (and has a date/time stamp).

Had I not been checking my holds at that library, I'd have missed the book - so now I make it a habit to check my holds lists at each library at least once daily.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #465
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
I too had the same thing happen, so I contacted Overdrive. The following is their reply

We had a strange system hiccup. Unfortunately, we prematurely communicated to users that their hold was available when it was not. If you signed in to retrieve the title, you would have found that the title was not available to check out. You will receive another notification when the title is available for check out. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote