Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
rexall
rexall began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Flier
Question PlusTek OpticBook 3600 Plus & Win 7

Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this issue, but I have been to PlusTek and all over the internet, and no one hits this on the head. Strange because it is probably a common problem. PlusTek has not responded to help request.

I have been using PlusTek Opticbook 3600 Plus on Win XP for more than a year with no problems, except that we could not install the bundled Abbey Fine OCR software, even with professional help. OK. There are alternatives, and we decided to live with it. It works as advertised for scanning books (relatively) non-destructively and we have no complaints about performance.

Just installed a new motherboard, 4GB RAM and upgraded to Win 7. . . and now cannot install the scanner or the installation software/driver. Plug in the scanner into the USB, click on "install" and get a message "Cannot find scanner." Same on two different Win 7 computers. Get a few other error messages, but all down the same thing; driver installation will not run unless the it recognizes the USB connection, which it doesn't.

This sure was a nasty surprise as we were anticipating improved use of the scanner, not failure

Suggestions and wisdom greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-13-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: pseudo-signature deleted
rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexall View Post
Just installed a new motherboard, 4GB RAM and upgraded to Win 7. . . and now cannot install the scanner or the installation software/driver. Plug in the scanner into the USB, click on "install" and get a message "Cannot find scanner." Same on two different Win 7 computers.
This may be a silly question, but you have got the latest (version 4.2.2.2) driver from the Plustek site, haven't you?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
rexall
rexall began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Flier
Smile Found fix!

Sat 11 Aug 2012, 7:10 am

Hi Pdurrant,

Thanks for yours. Yeah, of course, I downloaded the latest driver from the Plustek site.

However, I found a fix on the internet shortly after I posted here. Maybe it will help some others. I have no idea why it should work, or why it works this way, or why installing directly form the CD doesn't work. But this does work.

1. Plug scanner into USB. Turn on scanner
2. Put installation CD in drive
3. Go to Device Manager > Imaging devices
See the falied USB device with an exclamation (!) point.
4. Right click on the device, select "Update Driver Software"
5. Navigate to the the installation CD, click OK.

Now the installation runs perfectly, where as starting at the CD, you get "cannot find scanner."

Cheers!
rexall is offline   Reply With Quote