Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
delcimai
delcimai began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Smile how to use both sony ereader software and calibre at same time

Hello: This is my first post on any kind of forum so forgive me if use the wrong terms. I am an avid reader with books overflowing our bookcases so my husband got me the PRS 600 for Xmas. I connected it to my laptop and the Sony ereader store was immediately downloaded. I have since read that Calibre is probably a better ereader software ( forgive me if i don't use the right terms as I am a novice at all this). I want to use Calibre but I read in their manual that I have to make it so the sony software does not automatically start. How do I do that? I want to keep both the sony ereader software program and use the calibre too at least for now to see which one I like. My laptop has vista 64 bit premium home edition.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
delcimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
They can both be installed but do not have both open at the same time, especially when trying to transfer books to the Reader. If using Calibre or Sony software, make sure the other is not running in the background. You can always do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to check the running processes.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
To stop Sony library from automatically opening when your Reader is connected, you need to go to start. Type msconfig in the search box (space at the bottom). When the dialog opens up, click on startup. Scroll till you find Reader Library and uncheck it. Hit apply and you are done. The Sony library will no longer startup automatically when the Reader is connected.
By the way, welcome to Mobileread and I hope you enjoy your new Reader. Don't forget to check this site for great PD books uploaded by the members.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
They can both be installed but do not have both open at the same time, especially when trying to transfer books to the Reader. If using Calibre or Sony software, make sure the other is not running in the background. You can always do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to check the running processes.
There's absolutely no problem with having the Sony eBook Library software and Calibre running at the same time - I do it all the time. The only thing you must avoid doing is transferring books to the Reader with more than one of them in the same "session".

Personally, I transfer all my books using EBL, and there's no issue at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
It's true, I'm also guilty of having both open at the same time with no adverse effects. I prefer calibre by far, but I need the sony software to check for firmware updates and to view my notes (I don't think calibre can do that).

Welcome to Mobileread and to the world of ebooks, Delcimai! I hope you have a lot of fun with you new 600 and love it as much as I do mine!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
OMG, Thank you so much BeccaAnn - I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to stop Sony library opening up every time I plug in my USB cable!!!!

Thank you!

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
To stop Sony library from automatically opening when your Reader is connected, you need to go to start. Type msconfig in the search box (space at the bottom). When the dialog opens up, click on startup. Scroll till you find Reader Library and uncheck it. Hit apply and you are done. The Sony library will no longer startup automatically when the Reader is connected.
By the way, welcome to Mobileread and I hope you enjoy your new Reader. Don't forget to check this site for great PD books uploaded by the members.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #7
delcimai
delcimai began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Thanks all for your prompt suggestions and input. I did try BeccaAnn's suggestion but the sony library still opened automatically when I connected the Reader. I found another thread (posted by Zelda) that said to open "computer", find the Reader, go to hardware and disable "sony prs xxx launcher usb device. A little nervous about doing that. What do guys think?
delcimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the fact that the eBook Library is opening a problem for you? Just ignore it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote