Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Pascual
Pascual began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best eReader for getting UK Newspaper subscriptions?

I’m looking to buy my first eReader and the thing that appeals most to me is the ability to get newspaper subscriptions. I’ve read a bit about the kindle but it looks a lot less appealing outside the US. So what would be the best choice for someone living in the UK and likes to read a lot of news papers?
Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle currently allows you to subscribe to "The Guardian", "The Independent", "The Times" and "The Daily Mail". Works pretty well, although you don't get any pictures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Calibre has a facility to download newspapers which works quite well. I get the Guardian Times, Telegraph and Economist on my Sony 600, but Calibre's compatible with other devices. The subscription list includes the Daily Mail but not the Independent.

I would imagine that support for the service from Amazon is more reliable (it being commercial and all) but Calibre is well thought of here.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Calibre does this extremely well. The benefit of the Kindle is that it's all totally automatic - you wake up in the morning and your newspaper is there, waiting for you.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
If you want a paid subscription, the DR1000 will work with all newspapers in the PressDisplay selection, includes most newspapers UK and international. It basically allows you to download the newspaper (as sold on the street) and then read it. THe only drawback is the Mac application doesn't llow you to transfer the papers from Mac to DR1000, whereas the PC version does.

You can also select clips as pdfs which allow the DR1000 to do the crosswords quite succesfully

If they'd ever get the MAC version to do what the PC version does, I'd go back to usuing it.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Pascual
Pascual began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the help so far guys, how is the book selection for the Kindle outside the US? I’ve heard that it’s a little weak. In your opinions does the Kindle not displaying images kill it for you or is it not really a big deal? Also with the DR1000 do the newspapers downloading directly to the device?

Any more help would be much appreciated.
Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The DR1000 does not have any sort of wireless communication. You run a program on your PC which downloads the newspaper and transfer it to the DR1000 via USB.

You can see for yourself what newspapers are available for the Kindle: go to the Amazon web site and look. Whether or not lack of pictures matters is, I suppose, a personal decision. I don't think it would be terribly important to me for a newpaper, although it would probably be more important for a magazine.