Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Official Harry Potter e-books, thanks to the Amazon Kindle?

Better late than never, right? We all know that Harry Potter's J.K. Rowling and her publishers are way behind the times on the e-book wave, but they're aiming to catch up - that is, if you want to believe Tony Glover of The Independent:

Quote:
Harry Potter and his wizarding chums may be about to make a digital publishing leap. Online bookseller Amazon has plans to unveil a wireless electronic book reader, a kind of literary iPod, which already has UK publishers scrambling to digitise their entire range of titles.
Quote:
A source close to Bloomsbury, the publisher of the Harry Potter novels, said the company was also keen to adapt literary works to the new technology.
Follow this link to read the full article.

So, at least, after years of delay, there seems a real prospect of bringing good ol'Harry to the digital age.

via TeleRead
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So, at least, after years of delay, there seems a real prospect of bringing good ol'Harry to the digital age.
If it happens, it'll be interesting to see how many of the people who now have illegal eBooks of the series go out and buy the entire series as legal eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The article wasn't available for my perusal. According to the extracts you quote this journalist does not seem to know about other devices now available. Maybe we should send him an MR URL.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can sum this up in one word... HYPOCRITES. That did not want to release the Harry Potter books in electronic form when we wanted them. Now they will after it's too late. Well, all I can say is I hope they sell very poorly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't, that would send an ... unfortunate signal that they were right.

However, if it comes out Mobi-only, then I suspect that they'll sell more poorly than they would otherwise.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that they'll sell very well, Jon. Look at all the people who've said here "I would have bought one if it had been available". Hopefully the chance will soon arise for all those people to "put their money where their mouth is" (as we say in this country) and prove it by retrospectively buying them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I, for one, would purchase them, assuming a format I can use, of course.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Like I've said before; marketing sold you the books and when sales start to decline sell you the ebooks. I'm in!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd probably pick up one or two. Prisoner of Azkaban, at least (still my favorite). Maybe Deathly Hallows, just to make the point. Depending on the cost, I probably won't be able to re-purchase all of them -- I paid a premium to get the last three volumes on recycled paper in hardcover, and I'm not feeling especially generous toward the franchise at the moment.

Now that Mobi has a decryption method available, it won't bother me any if they are only available in that format.

Edit: if they have a discounted set of all 7, I might go for that, depending on the price. Since they're all out now in paper, it would make sense to offer them this way, and by the time they're likely to have ebooks ready, they'll all be available in paperback, so hopefully there will be no silly hardcover pricing involved.

Last edited by nekokami; 09-10-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: discount
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that they'll sell very well, Jon. Look at all the people who've said here "I would have bought one if it had been available". Hopefully the chance will soon arise for all those people to "put their money where their mouth is" (as we say in this country) and prove it by retrospectively buying them.
The problem is, if they only provide it in mobi format, that doesn't help anyone who is using the Sony Reader, or the Rocket Ebook, or the Fictionwise ebook device, or ....
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
... or ....
... doesn't have the mobi DRM breaker ....
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Well, an '05 article from USA Today (among many, many other sources) imply if-not-directly-state that the rights control for the Potter series is directly in Rowling's hands.
USA Today article link

And even more sources suggest that Rowling is quite anti-eBook oriented. And let's not forget that Bloomsbury holds many other titles (none, of course, with Potter's impact.) The TeleRead article suggests that if there's enough money in it, it'll happen. And maybe. I'm happily prepared to eat crow on this.

But I'm more than half tempted to say that Tony Glover is letting a sensational title, with little to nothing behind it, sell his article. Bloomsbury may indeed jump on the eBook bandwagon with the Kindle release - but that ain't even close to saying we'll see Harry Potter come to eBooks. *sad*
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I suppose the USA Today article implies it, but the only quotes they have are from the publishers, who seem uninterested in ebooks for "kids" because the ones they've tried so far haven't matched Michael Creighton's ebook sales (never mind the appeal of the HP books to adults as well as kids, or the fact that they are possibly the most heavily and notoriously pirated ebook titles ever).

Note USA Today's caption next to Rowling's image: "J.K. Rowling has been tight lipped about her lack of desire to license her Harry Potter books to purchase online." "Tight lipped," or perhaps she hasn't expressed an opinion on the subject at all? I've yet to see a direct quote from Rowling or her agent on ebooks, and her interviews are generally pretty well archived and indexed by her many rabid fans.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I suppose the USA Today article implies it, but the only quotes they have are from the publishers, who seem uninterested in ebooks for "kids" because the ones they've tried so far haven't matched Michael Creighton's ebook sales (never mind the appeal of the HP books to adults as well as kids, or the fact that they are possibly the most heavily and notoriously pirated ebook titles ever).
But it is true what they said back in June, 2005 that lack of a good portable reading device was a problem. Kids don't want to sit at the computer and read a book. But now that we have good devices and new devices coming out it makes sense to publish kids ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #15
pskopp
pskopp began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim
They should have been released as ebooks at the same time as they were released in hardcover. They would have been able to offer them at the same price as they were selling the printed books and people who wanted them as ebooks would have paid the asking price. I would have. But I have a copy of all of them in hardcover and I will not even consider purchasing them in ebook format now (and they will probably release them in some format that is so locked up you will not even be able to change the font size).
pskopp is offline   Reply With Quote