Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
HI these screen shots I posted are not actually my device it was the show Harry how far one can get away from the stock KF look
without rooting

I am aware of all of the screen customization option of Go launcher
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
While I get and appreciate the point, I must say those examples look a lot more cluttered and distracting than Amazon's customized Fire look.
If that's suggestive of what a 'standard' Android tablet looks like, I can see why so much of the consumer market waited for Amazon's 'non standard.'
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"While I get and appreciate the point, I must say those examples look a lot more cluttered and distracting than Amazon's customized Fire look.
If that's suggestive of what a 'standard' Android tablet looks like, I can see why so much of the consumer market waited for Amazon's 'non standard.'"
You are right those are not very interesting screen set ups
I googled them rather hastily in response to Harr-Y's comment about the stock interface

I have attached some photos of a few of my Kindle Fire screens
the only thing that identifies my device as a kindle is the obvious "Anabran's kindle" title in the upper left corner.

And btw I disagree the consumers were waiting for a Look different from android interface
it seems most were waiting for a tablet that did not start at $500 USD for the base model and required itunes to synch content.
only us 'tinkerers" or existing android users actually care that much about the interface IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot1-.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	85894   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot2-.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	85895  

Last edited by Anabran; 04-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
But I can still run pretty much any app that works on Windows 3.1 beyond on Windows 8, which is my point. They needed to completely ditch the backwards compatibility which makes Windows prone to security issues in the first place. The fact that Windows Mobile and Windows Phone use Windows Embedded instead of just Windows makes them much more secured.

WinRT will be ditching that old framework, but the versions that run on Intel won't.
And DOS
It's called emulation or WoW (windows on windows) and, now, i guess, windows embedded. I'm a fan. Backwards compatability in any form preserves the value of my software library.

To make these more secure, simply run in a sandbox/vm and isolate from the rest of the system.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Very tasteful.

Quote:
And btw I disagree the consumers were waiting for a Look different from android interface
True enough, I'm sure.
Quote:
only us 'tinkerers" or existing android users actually care that much about the interface IMHO.
Well, except in the sense that the mass market, I think, wants appliance-like UIs that "just work."
In addition to other factors, the fact that Amazon used a GUI that that a barely-pc-literate consumer could quickly intuit to make use of the device's primary functions, had to help.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
HI these screen shots I posted are not actually my device it was the show Harry how far one can get away from the stock KF look
without rooting

I am aware of all of the screen customization option of Go launcher
I will admit it took me about a day to find that.

But then again it was my first taste of android
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"Amazon used a GUI that that a barely-pc-literate consumer could quickly intuit to make use of the device's primary functions, had to help."
I agree completely
the stock interface is very user friendly for non techy laypeople who are exactly Amazon's target audience.

Smart marketing/branding move by them for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
HI these screen shots I posted are not actually my device it was the show Harry how far one can get away from the stock KF look without rooting
Quote:
You are right those are not very interesting screen set ups
I googled them rather hastily in response to Harr-Y's comment about the stock interface

the only thing that identifies my device as a kindle is the obvious "Anabran's kindle" title in the upper left corner.
Is your Kindle Fire rooted?

The reason for asking is that there are things like ever-changing wallpaper that can only be corrected by rooting. (or is my knowledge obsolete and there's a way to keep the wallpaper from automatically changing without rooting?)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
If you press and hold the Phone, Person, etc icons on the bottom row you
can change them (not sure if you knew that). it makes it look less like a phone.
I have tried Go launcher at least 5 more times since I had an issue with it. All works well for time and then I experience a freeze up which, it seems, can only be remedied by uninstalling it (after a bit of fiddling to avoid that). Have you experienced this at all? I do still use the Kindle reader and occ go back to the stock launcher while I have GL installed. Any ideas? One would have to be crazy not to prefer an alternate launcher as the boring bookshelves get to you after awhile. I also experienced the same problem with the ICS launcher. I thought ADW was ugly. Any tips?
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"Is your Kindle Fire rooted?

The reason for asking is that there are things like ever-changing wallpaper that can only be corrected by rooting. (or is my knowledge obsolete and there's a way to keep the wallpaper from automatically changing without rooting?)"
No I am not rooted.
I am running an app called"rotating wall paper"

it allows you to chose from your own sets of wall papers bypassing the built in amazon ones
you can set to rotation frequency from minutes or up to a month if you wanted the background to stay constant you could stack your rotation set with identical images and your background would appear to stay constant.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"I do still use the Kindle reader and occ go back to the stock launcher while I have GL installed. Any ideas?"

HI since the reason go launcher problems persisted was never truly solved for some users, I cant offer any advice as it remains a mystery why people like me can run it& rotating wallpaper while others can not.

But My personal solution for reading all book types without switching back over to the ugly Amazon carousel,
was to install the "cool reader" app
with it I browsed over to my Default "books" directory
to open the few .mobi books I got from Amazon
All of my other books are Epub and are read with Aldiko premium.
This helps my avoid having to do alot of conversions with caliber.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
For Microsoft to compete, they have to improve the Zune Store. I believe they will buy B&N and Netflix for this purpose.
Jeez, I'd hate to see Microsoft screw up Netflix. They are just recovering from trying to screw it up themselves.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
But I can still run pretty much any app that works on Windows 3.1 beyond on Windows 8, which is my point. They needed to completely ditch the backwards compatibility which makes Windows prone to security issues in the first place. The fact that Windows Mobile and Windows Phone use Windows Embedded instead of just Windows makes them much more secured.

WinRT will be ditching that old framework, but the versions that run on Intel won't.
It might be more than eye candy but it's god awful.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But I can still run pretty much any app that works on Windows 3.1 beyond on Windows 8, which is my point.
Can you? That's true of the desktop version of Windows 8, but I was under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the tablet version was a totally new o/s which was NOT backward compatible with Intel apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you? That's true of the desktop version of Windows 8, but I was under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the tablet version was a totally new o/s which was NOT backward compatible with Intel apps.
That's only if it's ARM based (it's a whole other architecture). The Intel based hardware machines will be able to still run old apps.

I don't know if they have plans to make Intel based tablets with Windows 8, but they have made XP, Vista, and 7 ones for like ever now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote