Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Question/suggestion on putting an Omnibus into the Series column

Many publishers are now creating what they call an Omnibus which is a collection (usually in a series) of two or more books into one volume. It would be nice if there were some way to mark the series (in Calibre) as an Ombinus and which numbers from that series were included in the Omnibus.

So far I haven't found such a way if there is one.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Many publishers are now creating what they call an Omnibus which is a collection (usually in a series) of two or more books into one volume. It would be nice if there were some way to mark the series (in Calibre) as an Ombinus and which numbers from that series were included in the Omnibus.

So far I haven't found such a way if there is one.
I mark the Omnibus of books 1 , 2 and 4
series_name[124]

It is not perfect and would fall apart on some really prolific series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I mark the Omnibus of books 1 , 2 and 4
series_name[124]

It is not perfect and would fall apart on some really prolific series
I tried a similar method and discarded it for that very reason. Now I am manually breaking the books out and entering them individually plus entering the omnibus with "series-name Omnibus[0]". Not entirely satisfactory but that's why the suggestion.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Some alternatives I've tried using same exact series name for omnibus and individual members in a series. Omnibus series index = choices below.
The advantage of large numbers is it puts the omni's after the individual series numbers. But all alternatives I tried were clunky. Another way is to give it whatever index is convenient, then append to title: (Omnibus 1,2,3,4)
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Must you have ebook file with metadata? I add empty books, fill in metadata, tag as Collection, enter name of collection into appropriate custom column field and into comments (just in case and maybe will change that).
So sorting shows them all in right order, actual collection is first and single one with book formats and has toc in comments.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Must you have ebook file with metadata? I add empty books, fill in metadata, tag as Collection, enter name of collection into appropriate custom column field and into comments (just in case and maybe will change that).
So sorting shows them all in right order, actual collection is first and single one with book formats and has toc in comments.
I have no 'Collections' on my reader. Not all devices have a fancy management system. The file name is it
Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I don't have any 'collection' features in palm either, but I understood slayda asked about Calibre.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I was also thinking in the same direction as slayda. Add the book, with series index 0. But what if there was an omnibus, containing books 1, 2 and 3 and a new omnibus containing books 4, 5 and 6?

I'm still undecided how to add them... Right now, I simply reformat them as single books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many digits will the series index allow? I just tried this on my one test book and it seemed to work. Idea is to put all the omnibuses at the end of series with a high number, using the first 2 or 3 digits to designate omnibus, such as "100", followed by volume number list.

SeriesIndex [10012345] translates to Omnibus with members 1 through 5 of series.

Edit: can be adjusted by adding a decimal point to help sort it right.

TitleX ThisSeries [100123.45]
TitleY ThisSeries [100678]

Last edited by unboggling; 08-22-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
How many digits will the series index allow? I just tried this on my one test book and it seemed to work. Idea is to put all the omnibuses at the end of series with a high number, using the first 2 or 3 digits to designate omnibus, such as "100", followed by volume number list.

SeriesIndex [10012345] translates to Omnibus with members 1 through 5 of series.

Edit: can be adjusted by adding a decimal point to help sort it right.

TitleX ThisSeries [100123.45]
TitleY ThisSeries [100678]
It used to accept 2 Integers and 2 decimals.
We, the users, asked for more
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
unboggling
Wizard

Is there a tweak to adjust number of decimal places higher than 2 ? At the moment mine's at only 2 decimals.

(I couldn't find one.)

Last edited by unboggling; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Added last line
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Is there a tweak to adjust number of decimal places higher than 2 ? At the moment mine's at only 2 decimals.

(I couldn't find one.)
Sorry I implied that the number of decimals had changed.
I used to be forced to use 12.34 as that was all allowed.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sorry I implied that the number of decimals had changed.
I used to be forced to use 12.34 as that was all allowed.
Yeah, I think I remember that from back in January and awhile after.

So the large number solution won't work in all cases, but should cover a lot of them.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've been using a simple:

SeriesName [1.3] to indicate books 1-3 of a series.
SeriesName [4.5] to indicate books 4&5 of the series

This allows individual titles to sort correctly in the sequence where I have standalone versions of books that I also have in omnibus editions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've been using a simple:

SeriesName [1.3] to indicate books 1-3 of a series.
SeriesName [4.5] to indicate books 4&5 of the series

This allows individual titles to sort correctly in the sequence where I have standalone versions of books that I also have in omnibus editions.
same here, but a tiny irritant is that it gets displayed as 1.30 instead of 1.3.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote