Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #61
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I'd say we're more in danger of masses simply being illiterate than eReaders creating a reading class.
Excellent point.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #62
jseay
Devotional Writer
jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!jseay rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Motorola Droid
I think the ebook revolution may actually increase readership.

1. More authors who would not be traditionally published or published in print will begin to offer ebooks.

2. Ebooks can already be read on personal computers and smartphones. Mobile phone applications will continue to evolve which would make ereading available to most people who own a cell phone.

3. As the technology matures, dedicated ereader devices should decrease in cost. This would enable more readers to have access to a nicer ereading experience.

I'm excited about ebooks and think that they will change the way books are consumed.
jseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #63
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
The ease of publishing will also help. One author actually called me up because he self published the book and he said my review on amazon is what caused a publishing company to decide to print it.

If you want to read a rant by an author on writing rather than policies I highly suggest the snippet at the end of Fahrenheit 451. In a nutshell he writes a story not for people but to write a story.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #64
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
While a very disappointing situation, it isn't a new thing, Bill Hicks has been dead since 1994 and even in one of his routines he had the following joke:

"I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show, I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm eating, I'm alone and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, what you readin' for?' Is that like the weirdest fucking question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading ... for. 'Well, God damn it, you stumped me. Why do I read? Hmm ... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is ... so I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress.'

But then, this trucker in the next booth gets up, stands over me and goes: 'Well, looks like we got ourselves a reader.' What the fuck's going on here? It's not like I walked into a Klan rally in a Boy George outfit, God damn it. It's a book!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI

Last edited by Froide; 09-25-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #65
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseay View Post

I'm excited about ebooks and think that they will change the way books are consumed.
Aren't they already doing that? At one time I'd have to either go to a brick and mortar store or order a customer catalog from a publisher and hope the prices of the books were still the same. In fact that very problem happened to me once. I had ordered some books of Philip Jose Farmer's riverworld series among others and only part of my order was shipped to me because it turned out the price of the books had gone up since I'd gotten the catalog. I ordered the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper via a book store in Janesville mall (they didn't have copies on site) and had to wait a couple weeks for them to arrive and a note sent out that my order was ready. Now I can go online, see a book I want, buy it and be reading it within 5 minutes or less. And the books often cost a lot less than their paper siblings. Sometimes they're even offered for free for a day or so. When was the last time you saw someone giving away free copies of a paper book?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #66
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Yesterday I saw an ebook, 4.3 inches of screen size, for thirty euros. I paid eight times that for the 5 inch reader I had in 2010. The elite has not lasted.

BTW, way to necro a 4 year old post
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Yesterday I saw an ebook, 4.3 inches of screen size, for thirty euros. I paid eight times that for the 5 inch reader I had in 2010. The elite has not lasted.

BTW, way to necro a 4 year old post
I didn't notice til you mentioned it how old the thread is. At least Froide beat me to it.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #68
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Slaughter seems slightly alarmist, especially given that the upcoming basic Kindle is only £59 in the UK, which is pretty damn good value for something like this.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #69
BookAdmin
Enthusiast
BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookAdmin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I agree with Waylander, there are also lot of free ebook for people who can't afford to buy "classics" books.
BookAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #70
sl42
Enthusiast
sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sl42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
Seems to be a rather badly thought out argument - first, an inexpensive dedicated reader can be found for the cost of two or three print books (I payed $48 for my Kobo Mini), and second you don't *need* a dedicated reader if you already have a tablet or "smart" phone. Finally, ebooks are generally slightly cheaper than print editions and if someone has *no* income that doesn't need to be spent on necessities like rent and food, anyone with an Internet connection can download a copy of any book they want any time they want - as pointed out by Cory Doctorow in this article ( http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Issues/...ommentary.html ) it takes the same number of "clicks" to pirate a book as to purchase it, making it the reader's choice whether to pay or not.
sl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #71
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookAdmin View Post
I agree with Waylander, there are also lot of free ebook for people who can't afford to buy "classics" books.
A lot of the "Classics" are also in the PD and therefore available at sites like Gutenberg and Mobile Read at no charge.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #72
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Four years ago the concern was that ebook reading was too expensive and would become an activity solely for the elites--today it is the elites fretting that it has become too cheap and everybody can play both ends of the game.

That's pretty common, actually, in professional handwringer circles.

For example, back in the 70's, the big concern was that since we are smack dab in the middle of an ongoing ice age, any sign of cooling was a precursor of catastrophe:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cooling-Ne.../dp/013172312X

Give it a couple years and the wheel will turn and we'll be back to worrying about yesteryear's fears.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #73
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantsa View Post
"Will eBooks create an elite reading class?"

I am of the opinion that simply READING has become an elitist class.

EDIT: Not that I'm saying readers are elitist in general, but some people see you as a snob if you read heavily. I don't know about you, but I have a dead-end job filled with knuckle-draggers (elitist? me? no! ;> ) and we have conversations throughout the day. I like to talk about my hobbies and likes. My co-workers are much the same, except for the reading part... Sometimes, I do sense a certain degree of "I bet he thinks he's better than us" responses or looks. Although, I bet when some of them are talking about whatever it is they do, I probably have the same attitude sometimes...

But my point is, they seem to view reading itself as elitist. I wonder what they teach their children.
I work with a lot of very smart people, but only a few of us read a lot. Reading does not necessarily equate to smart or not in my experience. I do find people that read a little more interesting, but that's only because it is another common talking point.

Will eReaders create an elite class. Maybe. But I know almost everyone has a smartphone and most of them can be used as an eReader so I don't buy the argument much.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #74
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I work with a lot of very smart people, but only a few of us read a lot. Reading does not necessarily equate to smart or not in my experience. I do find people that read a little more interesting, but that's only because it is another common talking point.
Reading isn't an elite activity. Contrary to popular belief, most Americans (76%) read; the median number of books read is 5. Beyond a certain point, reading doesn't scale with education; the number of books read by people with some college, a college degree, and a graduate degree are all fairly close.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #75
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I suppose it also depends on how you classify "reading." My husband doesn't read many books every year (and rarely reads fiction), but he reads the news daily and spends a lot of time researching financial topics. He's far more up on current events than I am.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote