Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
.LIT --> Cybook Compatible Format on a Mac

Hey guys. I have some unlocked books in the .LIT format that I'd like to convert for use on a Cybook Gen3 in any format that you MobileReader's would think would look and convert the best.

I have a Mac but I also have access to a PC I could use. I know this questions has probably been asked before, but I'm just confused on all the different programs and formats to convert it into. So I guess I have two questions.

1) What destination format would look best on the Cybook?
2) How do I accomplish the conversion from the .LIT format to the answer to the above question.

Thanks guys.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
1) What destination format would look best on the Cybook?
2) How do I accomplish the conversion from the .LIT format to the answer to the above question.
1. Mobipocket
2. Mobiperls lit to mobi. If the LIT files are DRM protected though you will need to use convertlit to "liberate" them first. You can do this on the Mac... but you need to create your keys file on the PC.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-08-2008 at 03:55 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
1. Mobipocket
2. Mobiperls lit to mobi. If the LIT files are DRM protected though you will need to use convertlit to "liberate" them first. You can do this on the Mac... but you need to create your keys file on the PC.

BOb
They are not DRM protected. Is there some website with screenshots that will explain how to perform this conversion?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are not DRM protected. Is there some website with screenshots that will explain how to perform this conversion?
Yes, follow this https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Install_Mobi2Mobi_Mac on how to get mobiperl working on a Mac. Once you have it installed runing lit2mobi is pretty easy.

BOb
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Is there some website with screenshots that will explain how to perform this conversion?
See the mobi2mobi on Mac section of Visual Kindle Guide. You want lit2mobi, but that is just another command in the MobiPerl package (like mobi2mobi).

This is a bit easier on a Windows PC, because there are Windows binaries for MobiPerl, but once you have Perl on your Mac there should be little difference.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Badandy
Connoisseur

It seems as though I might lack the technical expertise to do this; There are a lot of steps. This might come off as extremely needy, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum who has done this before could possibly do it for me? I already have the .LIT files and I could email them rather easily. If no one is up for it, I'll keep trying to understand all those programs on the wiki, but if it's not too terribly time intensive I'd be really appreciative. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It seems as though I might lack the technical expertise to do this; There are a lot of steps. This might come off as extremely needy, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum who has done this before could possibly do it for me? I already have the .LIT files and I could email them rather easily. If no one is up for it, I'll keep trying to understand all those programs on the wiki, but if it's not too terribly time intensive I'd be really appreciative. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks guys.
There are alot of steps... but you don't really need any "technical" expertise to follow them. Just know how to type and use the mouse. Although, it is possible to run into issue due to differences in Mac OSX versions and such as I have found out from a few people.

It is much easier on the PC. You basically use the .exe's and you are good to go. If you do have access to a PC.

BOb
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
It WAS a whole lot easier to set up on a PC (just get the .exe files) than on a Mac. I haven't yet tried "lit2mobi" but I use "html2mobi" from the same package. It's wonderful!

As a pay-it-forward for the help I got while getting it setup on my mac, I'd be glad to convert your files for you. Send me a PM (private message) from the User CP link at top of page; I'll be glad to help!

Oh yeah -- THAT's how to do a PM. Click on my name to the left here (name, not pic) and one of the options is "send a private message to". So, do that!

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 12-08-2008 at 06:48 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote