Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Where does the new Kindle for PC put the books?

As the title really.

I have now downloaded the new Kindle for PC app, and it doesn't appear to put the book in the My Kindle Content folder anymore.

I use Calibre to sideload the books I buy from Amazon and now after buying and downloading a book, I can't find it anywhere!
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You've posted this in the Kobo forum.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
You've posted this in the Kobo forum.
I've moved it to the Kindle Forum, although since they plans to import the books to their Kobo, I can see why they posted it there.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There should be a setting in the options to change the location of your library. It will display the current location.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Windows 8 Kindle app doesn't store its books in an accessible way - they're stored in fragments, in a database.

Install the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" instead. It stores its books in "My Documents\My Kindle Content". You can have the Win8 and Win7 Kindle apps installed on the same PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Windows 8 Kindle app doesn't store its books in an accessible way - they're stored in fragments, in a database.

Install the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" instead. It stores its books in "My Documents\My Kindle Content". You can have the Win8 and Win7 Kindle apps installed on the same PC.
As I just discovered a few minutes ago when I did a search of a book I bought recently. I did a search for B000FC1PJ8, which is the Amazon number for Burglars Can't Be Choosers [Kindle Edition] by Lawrence Block <http://smile.amazon.com/Burglars-Cant-Choosers-Lawrence-Block-ebook/dp/B000FC1PJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395843636&sr=8-1&keywords=burglers+cant+be+choosers>. I found it on my own PC at C:\Users\X1\AppData\Local\Packages\AMZNMobileLLC.K indleforWindows8_stfe6vwa9jnbp\LocalState\cache\B0 00FC1PJ8 and it was broken up into well over 150 fragment files.

Sorry. Looks like either the publishers have pushed Amazon into a new scheme to prevent reproduction of their books or Amazon doesn't want people reading Kindle books on anything but Kindles or Kindle apps. Either way, it appears you're pretty well screwed.

If they eventually bring this system to the Kindle itself, it will be the end of my buying books at Amazon.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sorry. Looks like either the publishers have pushed Amazon into a new scheme to prevent reproduction of their books or Amazon doesn't want people reading Kindle books on anything but Kindles or Kindle apps. Either way, it appears you're pretty well screwed.

If they eventually bring this system to the Kindle itself, it will be the end of my buying books at Amazon.
No, not screwed at all. As I said, you can happily install the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" on a Windows 8/8.1 system. You can have both the Win 8 app AND the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" installed on the same PC.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not screwed at all. As I said, you can happily install the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" on a Windows 8/8.1 system. You can have both the Win 8 app AND the Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" installed on the same PC.
That's good news. Thanks for that, Harry. I started to ask if this was a special circumstance only relevant to the Windows 8 version.

Do you think Kindle will eventually go this route of fragmenting files?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unfortunately my crystal ball isn't telling me . Time will tell.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Do you think Kindle will eventually go this route of fragmenting files?
I'd bet money on it.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
I'd bet money on it.
The rumor mill has it that Amazon will be coming out with a new Kindle soon with some killer features. I had planned to upgrade at that time, but now I think I'll wait first to see if a fragmented file system is introduced at for it. If it is, not only will I never buy another Kindle, but I'll never buy another e-book from Amazon, and I know I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the years on Amazon books. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I'm sure it's been well over a thousand dollars easily.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The Win8 app has been out for a considerable length of time now (over a year, certainly) and there's no sign of plain old files being superseded in any other device or app. Amazon have released several new hardware Kindles since the Win8 app came out, with no change in their file storage. Why they chose this approach for the Win8 app specifically I've no idea, but there's no evidence to suggest it's some sinister machination to make life more difficult for friends of Alf.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The recent expiration of all but the most recent version of the xp/vista/7 version of the app could suggest that a pretty big change is in the wind. Of course, it could just be a timed thing too. It's been a while since the last forced update.

There have been several updates to the xp/vista/7 version since the new Windows 8 local storage revamp has made its splash, though. If they really wanted to change it (the older app), they've had plenty of time and opportunity to do so.

We'll see. It could be the Windows 8 app is just more akin to the Cloud Reader. Its offline storage has been file fragments stored in a db since its inception.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would definitely assume the Win8 Metro app is just acting like your average mobile app, in storing data in a non-accessible way hidden from where people might do stupid things. While the full-fledged desktop program will not be changed in that way at all.

They're not going to change it. For one, it would kill your ability to download from MYK and sideload.

It would also make a mockery of "At the publisher's request, this title is sold DRM-free."

Amazon doesn't care what device you read it on, and they couldn't care less what you do with your ebooks, so long as you keep paying them for your ebooks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Amazon doesn't care what device you read it on, and they couldn't care less what you do with your ebooks, so long as you keep paying them for your ebooks.
Well that's the thing, I'm not. I buy some of my books from them, but more from Kobo. So maybe they'd figure if they remove the option to sideload then Kindle users will have to buy from them.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote