Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Introducing Bookish-A New Website from Hachette, Penguin and Simon & Schuster

Received an email about an hour ago from Hachette Book Group

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.bookish.com/home

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Here's an interesting blog post about the new site:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...s-bookishs-tos
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And of course no ebooks available - at least the books I looked at.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And of course no ebooks available - at least the books I looked at.
I only looked at 1222 by Anne Holt, but it had an eBook listed (or maybe you meant having the eBook for sale right on the BookIsh site). B&N's gotta love that the link to them under 'other stores' took me to Amazon though.

As I said on Nate's blog though the prices and formats on the right side of the screen are to big and in your face for me. A subtle link or button to click for more info on buying instead of making me feel like I just walked onto a used car lot with the prices written on the windshields would be better IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
LotR costs more in ebook than in paperback. Always a delight to see such clever marketing decisions.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They don't appear to have a mobile-friendly version of the site, or if they do, they don't redirect mobile browsers to it. It's all but impossible to use the site on my phone
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
They don't appear to have a mobile-friendly version of the site, or if they do, they don't redirect mobile browsers to it. It's all but impossible to use the site on my phone
That seems to be silly oversight, considering the times...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I only looked at 1222 by Anne Holt, but it had an eBook listed (or maybe you meant having the eBook for sale right on the BookIsh site). B&N's gotta love that the link to them under 'other stores' took me to Amazon though.
Yeah.. I meant on the site. No indication that anything exists except hardback and paperback. And my Firefox doesn't like the site. It could be because of the adblock/ghostery plugins because chrome does work (no plugins in it). Not a site that will see much use from me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I'm shocked - publishers are usually at the cutting edge.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yeah.. I meant on the site. No indication that anything exists except hardback and paperback. And my Firefox doesn't like the site. It could be because of the adblock/ghostery plugins because chrome does work (no plugins in it). Not a site that will see much use from me.
The site doesn't work fully for me either. Firefox with everything blocked including affiliate links.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Here's an interesting blog post about the new site:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...s-bookishs-tos
Wow, so Penguin got Hachette and S&S in on the "let's not allow any negative reviews" bandwagon. What next, the whole Big Four deciding to go into the vanity self-pub business?

(intended as sarcasm, not prophesy)
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
(intended as sarcasm, not prophesy)
Probably wouldn't be the first time a statement about the BPHs turned out to be both.

I think the site is okay. Since I signed up for the beta thing, I got an email when it went live. Which is good, because I had totally forgotten about it. Some of the authors I follow are on imprints from those three, and it is kind of nice to have somewhere to find a list retail links that actually seem to work. It's attractive, has moderately interesting content. Haven't added any books to my list thingies so I don't know if the recommendation feature is worth anything yet.

They need to get more samples going. For any book with an ebook available, there's really no excuse for not having a sample available. I like that their samples open in an overlay window that fits on my laptop screen nicely and seems to work well, unlike sites that seem to have chosen completely arbitrary dimensions for their online preview. (I'm looking at you, Amazon, with your too-tall "look inside" feature.)

Within the next couple of days I will try their Android reader app on my tablet.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That seems to be silly oversight, considering the times...
Yes. I can't remember where I saw it, but I read a while ago that something like 20% of all internet traffic is mobile, and the figure is going up rapidly. I'd have thought that a site that sells ebooks would get more than the average amount of mobile traffic, as people look for things to read on their phones & ereaders.

I left feedback about it (not easy on a phone), and got a response this morning, which says:

Quote:
Hello Russ,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate customer input regarding new features and changes to our web site.

This problem will be forwarded to our Bookish Team for investigation.

Best Regards,

ChristineSupport
Nothing really surprising or notable, but I do wonder why the name isn't just "Christine" or even "Christine (Support)". The use of CamelCase in this context looks odd to me.

Last edited by avantman42; 02-06-2013 at 05:59 AM.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Well, that's confusing. I thought this thread was going to be talking about major* Australian ebook site Booki.sh, which has been around for several years.

* unfortunately, as it's a technological clusterflop of a site.

ETA: So. They spent all that extra time vetting and re-vetting the TOS, supposedly, and yet they ended up with this?

Quote:
"Your User Content may not include any negative comments that are connected to race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation or physical handicap ".
[But mental illness and intellectual disability is fair game? Someone really didn't think this through.]

Last edited by meeera; 02-06-2013 at 02:22 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm shocked - publishers are usually at the cutting edge.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote