Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Movie Recommendations

I haven't seen a thread for this here, so I'll start one off.

Here's two recent releases I highly recommend.

Moon

A real sci-fi movie without big guns or war or any of that rubbish. It cost a fraction of James Cameron's "Dances with Smurfs" otherwise known as Avatar and relies solely on a single performance by the awesome Sam Rockwell.

Thirst

Korean director Park Chan-woo's (Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, I'm a Cyborg But that's Okay) latest is an erotic poetic comedy horror (yes I know, but it really does have all these elements) about a Priest who is infected with vampirism through a blood transfusion.

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Korean director Park Chan-woo's (Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, I'm a Cyborg But that's Okay) latest is an erotic poetic comedy horror (yes I know, but it really does have all these elements) about a Priest who is infected with vampirism through a blood transfusion.

Every movie by Park Chan-woo's a good movie! He's up there with the big Q.!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Got half way through 'Moon', but lost interest.

I haven't seen any recommendable films since 'The Wrestler'.
'Up' was ok, but not brilliant, as were 'Watchmen' and 'Star Trek'.

A recent film that turned out to be a pleasant surprise was 'X-Men Origins - Wolverine' - I had low expectations of that one, but it was pretty good.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I enjoyed this on DVD recently

Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
I enjoyed this on DVD recently

Yes, that was an excellent movie. God, how I feel like the old guy at the beginning of the movie some days. "...you can live your whole life and never know who you are" is about right.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Yes, that was an excellent movie. God, how I feel like the old guy at the beginning of the movie some days. "...you can live your whole life and never know who you are" is about right.
Sounds mighty interesting. I'm gonna try to find that one over here. I never saw it announced anywhere!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Moon was such a stark film. It's sci-fi that gives you a few ethical questions to roll around in your head on the drive home. Loved it.

Look, even though it's a slightly girly movie, it's great for anyone who has had their heart broken. 500 days of summer.

And also BLACK DYNAMITE. Excellent homage to black exploitation films of the 70s. Impeccably done and hilarious.

Last edited by fugazied; 11-17-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Fixed links
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'd recommend the following movie:

Time (a romantic drama from Korea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zQE-CSzodg

This is an excellent movie that will keep you guessing until the very end.

Although its not a movie, but a 13-episode anime OAV, I'd strongly recommend the series "Figure 17."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eic3BjdIT5g

Although at first glance it looks like a typical alien-fighting series, there is far more to the series than that.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Forbidden Planet. One of the greats. The dialog is dated, but it was well-plotted. It also demonstrates that great special effects didn't begin with 2001 (my all-time favorite sci-fi movie).

[/url]
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Look, even though it's a slightly girly movie, it's great for anyone who has had their heart broken. 500 days of summer.

I badly want to see this!!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

This is one of my all time favourites.

Kuroi ame (Black Rain) Dir: Shohei Imamura Year: 1989

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't find a uTube video of this, but Man Facing Southeast (Argentina, 1986) was one of the best sci-fi films I've seen. It touches all the bases -- religion, philosophy, speculative science, and psychology. The scene where the mental patient Rantés interrupts a concert to take over the maestro's duties to conduct Beethoven's Ninth is unforgettable. (The makers of the 1993 US movie, "Mr. Jones," evidently thought so also. They ripped off that scene without shame.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't find a uTube video of this, but Man Facing Southeast (Argentina, 1986) was one of the best sci-fi films I've seen. It touches all the bases -- religion, philosophy, speculative science, and psychology. The scene where the mental patient Rantés interrupts a concert to take over the maestro's duties to conduct Beethoven's Ninth is unforgettable. (The makers of the 1993 US movie, "Mr. Jones," evidently thought so also. They ripped off that scene without shame.)
Can't find it anywhere on DVD and I'm not buying a VHS player just to play one VHS, so I'll go the alternate route and watch it this weekend thanks to the plentiful bounty of the internet
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Can't find it anywhere on DVD and I'm not buying a VHS player just to play one VHS, so I'll go the alternate route and watch it this weekend thanks to the plentiful bounty of the internet
I couldn't either. My old copy is in VHS format (Spanish with English subtitles). Evidently there was a DVD version, but it's no longer available. I hope the DVD version is re-released soon.

In the meantime, I rented K-Pax. When reading the customer reviews of Man Facing Southeast at Amazon, I noted that one reviewer said K-Pax was an inferior rip-off of Man Facing Southeast, while another said that it wasn't the same movie, but they could see similarities. I'll watch the K-Pac movie this weekend and decide for myself.

If I discover where you can get a DVD version of MFS, I'll let you know.

This wonderful Argentine film is a real gem. That it isn't available on DVD here is a mystery. I can only suppose that the subtitles and lack of explosions make it unsuitable for most movie-goers here in the U.S.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

i watched "Where the Wild Things Are" last night and it is now in my top 5 of all time favourite movies. I don't know how Spike Jonze did it, but he's created a masterpiece that captures every frightening and wonderful thing about being a child, and reminded me of that child that lives inside all of us no matter how old our bodies may look on the outside.

Here's a trailer.