Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Tibor
Enthusiast
Tibor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Who can help me? html2xxx => Chess problems

Hi

I have a tool which generate html files with chess problems to solve. Part of those html have images of chess pieces.

I have been trying same possibilities for convert them into a valid eBook (lrf, html or rtf) but have not success. Images are not showed. I have trying calibre also, but have the same problem.

I attach the file. It is a zip file, you only have to start in index.html
http://rodin.chess.googlepages.com/chess_problems.zip

Does anybody be so kind in trying to find a method to convert them into a eBook?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
FS
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Could you embed the board diagram as a jpeg image?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Could you embed the board diagram as a jpeg image?
No, I can't. I use an external tool which generates html files from a set of epd files (a special format which aech line represent a text position). That tool uses those png files and not the overall board.

The only thing it cames to my mind is to replace those png files which jpgs and make a bulk replacement of .png text for .jpg into source code. It is a lot of work, but dont know exactly if it will run. Maybe will need some programming. The ideal would be a method with the original files.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Having a quick go with Mobipocket Converter seems to work partially. Two changes should make it work completely.

(1) Do the board as a 9x9 table, with graphics for the column and row labels as well as for the squares. The board itself converted OK, but the conversion didn't cope with the two tables that are supposed to overlap.

(2) Don't generate into folders, but have a very flat one-folder output, containing both the html and the graphics. It may not be necessary, but it will certainly mean there's less chance of links going wrong.

I wouldn't bother with your index, but add a heading to each puzzle, and then generate a table of contents from that.

Make sure you specify a page break before each of the solution pages, so that there's no chance of seeing another solution when looking at a different one.

It looks like it shouldn't be too hard to make a really nice little Mobipocket ebook. Although to work optimally on both PDA sized screens and larger eInk screens as mobipocket, you might need to investigate having two different sized sets of images for the boards. See http://207.97.195.131/dev/article.as...ile=images.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Hi

I have a tool which generate html files with chess problems to solve. Part of those html have images of chess pieces.

I have been trying same possibilities for convert them into a valid eBook (lrf, html or rtf) but have not success. Images are not showed. I have trying calibre also, but have the same problem.

I attach the file. It is a zip file, you only have to start in index.html
http://rodin.chess.googlepages.com/chess_problems.zip

Does anybody be so kind in trying to find a method to convert them into a eBook?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
FS
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have the solution to the problem... CALIBRE!!!!

use html2epub to generate an ePub file that will work on your 505..

Code:
html2epub --margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0 --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --base-font=20 index.html
That is what I used from the command line and it worked fine. Granted, I did not use any of the options to put in proper metadata.

You might want to fix the HTML so the ToC shows the board number and you may want to remove the index links from the top of each page.
Attached Files
File Type: epub index.epub (832.1 KB, 310 views)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have the solution to the problem... CALIBRE!!!!

use html2epub to generate an ePub file that will work on your 505..

Code:
html2epub --margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0 --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --base-font=20 index.html
That is what I used from the command line and it worked fine. Granted, I did not use any of the options to put in proper metadata.

You might want to fix the HTML so the ToC shows the board number and you may want to remove the index links from the top of each page.
I like this solution, which is similar to use mobilepocket
a few more questions:
if I make a book with more than 300 problems (I am testint with 1300), I get this error msg:
Code:
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\html.py", lin
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 226, in depth_first
e 196, in __eq__
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
how can I skip this error?

and also, when reading on my sony prs505, the board is justified at right, and not in center like in html files. Is there any way to use center aligment?

thanks
FS

P.S: I am tempt to program my own html generation to use large square images.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
I like this solution, which is similar to use mobilepocket
a few more questions:
if I make a book with more than 300 problems (I am testint with 1300), I get this error msg:
Code:
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 233, in depth_first
e 226, in depth_first
e 196, in __eq__
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
how can I skip this error?

and also, when reading on my sony prs505, the board is justified at right, and not in center like in html files. Is there any way to use center aligment?

thanks
FS

P.S: I am tempt to program my own html generation to use large square images.
Open a ticket and post the source files that cause this error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open a ticket and post the source files that cause this error
Hi Kovid,

At the end, I have made my own "chess problems epub generator tool" in order to make it more "standalone".

I have seen you have fixed the error problem. Thank you very much!!!!. I have made a donation for your effors, and also because I like calibre... it is very usefull.

About the other problem of this thread, the center-aligment of the board, I have seen it is not a calibre problem. It looks like a bug in the sony viewer or a problem in the xhtml code. I have just created a new thread about it in the ePub forums (this link). Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks very much again.

Also thanks a lot to pdurrant and JSWolf. Your help has been very valuable, because I started with any idea and you put me on the way...

Best regards,
Fermin
Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, calibre is a general purpose tool, so a custom tool will always be able to do a better job. And the donation is much appreciated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chess problems, conversion