Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Readlists: turn a list of sites into an ebook

Played around with this today after seeing it on Lifehacker, and it looks sweet. It's a new web app by Readability (you don't need an account) that lets you drop in links, then stitches them all together into an ebook with the ads and such stripped out. You can download or email an EPUB of the results, or send it straight to a Kindle or iOS device.

You'll see on the front page that it also shows you lists that other people have put together, so it can be fun to browse and explore, too.

Readlists.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm loving this! I always wanted a way to turn the articles I stumbled upon to Kindle friendly pages. Could be used for all sorts of creative things too!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Hmm. I'll have to check this out when I get home. This looks like it could be fun and useful.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Just tried it with a blog post, but it doesn't add the comments at the end like Web2FB2 does.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Just tried it with a blog post, but it doesn't add the comments at the end like Web2FB2 does.
That's a feature The formatting is Readability standard. I've never used Readability (I got started with Pocket/ReadItLater and it's a pain to switch), but if you sign up there might be a preference you could toggle. I'm kind of thinking there's not, though.
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Isn't that piracy?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
This looks *awesome.* I've wanted one of these for *ages.* Thanks!
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
BigJack
BigJack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There's a lot of fan fiction , (Back to the Future) for example, on the web in HTML format .. this is perfect for converting it in one step
BigJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Tried it with Stealing Alabama from Asimov's site, an article on Edmond Hamilton's Super Moby Dick of Space from Seqart and a death metal hard sf story Words Beyond the Veil from Ian Sales' blog and they all worked nicely. The Super Moby Dick of Space ebook had all the images included correctly etc. Pretty cool.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
As the Lifehacker comments point out, its good if you have a static list. Not so good if you have a constantly updating list of links that you want to read later.

My solution: Flipboard, (for discovering articles) plus Pocket (formerly Read it Later).
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
As the Lifehacker comments point out, its good if you have a static list. Not so good if you have a constantly updating list of links that you want to read later.
Well yes, hence the "book" format. In other news, spoons are good for soup but not so good for cutting steak.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
Is this different (in function) than SqueeBook?

http://www.squeebook.net/

I've used to convert LiveJournal posts (story over many posts) into ebook format. SqueeBook does not grab the comments either.

PS: I haven't tried Readlists yet. May try it out....but I tend not to use the automated ebook makers in the end as its still sloppy formatting. I code by hand...yes I'm a code snob.

As for being piracy. I only do this for my own consumption, it's posted publicly, for free, so I do not consider this piracy. If I want to share my ebook version of a fic I ask the author if they are ok with it being in this format (and give them the ebook to review). If they are not it doesn't leave my hands...but I do like having it on my mobile device for reading when away from a internet connection.

Last edited by Kaylee Skylyn; 05-27-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
zxybangla
zxybangla began at the beginning.

Device: none
confushed

what is it?
zxybangla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i've found this app to be best used for multi-chaptered web fiction loving it so far
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
That is it's designed purpose (multi-chapter web fiction, each chapter on different page).

I certainly would not use it for anything else...there are better tools for converting other formats I would think (calibre).
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote