Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Pocketbook 902 Will Not Start

I have used my 902 for 12 months or more, with no problems.
As recently as yesterday, I downloaded a few more books from Calibre.
The battery was fully charged, and everything worked fine.
Today, it will not start.
I press the on/off switch, and it simply stops at the Welcome screen (the one with the kids' alphabet soup all over it).
That is also as far as it gets when I connect to the PC: the device is not recognised by Calibre, and neither the device nor the SD Card shows up in Explorer.
I cannot get through to the Main Menu page.
I have tried resetting it, both with and without Power On, and with and without it connected to the PC, with no success.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Uh, Jozawun, sorry to read this. Most things one could advise you've already tried.
What else? You could try taking out the battery for a while or start it without the sd-card.

I guess your device is still updating the internal book database after you've loaded some books onto it. So if it comes back it may be good to clean the database.

I wish you that your Pocketbook will start working again soon!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Billi.
I tried starting it without the SD Card, and it went alright, but this doesn't actually get me any further, because
- then trying to start it again WITH the SD Card still doesn't work;
- and if I start it WITHOUT the Card then stick the Card in while it's on (yes, yes, I know it's a no, no, but what the hell?), it then hangs permanently at the Library prompt.
Looking at other historic threads, it has been suggested that this problem is caused by a badly-titled book on the SD Card, so what I might try next is scrubbing the most recent downloads off the Card (direct from the PC, as soon as I get hold of the right size Card Reader/Adapter), then seeing if I can restart it with the Card in that older state.
You mention in your post "cleaning up the database"; how would I go about that?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a good answer because it quite clearly shows that there is something wrong with the sd-card or with the files on the sd-card.

You clean the database with these steps: Configuration -> Maintenance -> Clean state
Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Jozawun
Fanatic

Thanks again, Billi.
Yes, it seemed logical to check the Card and its files, so I got it out and hooked up to the PC.
There did not seem to be anything wrong with the Card, so I deleted the last upload of PDF books, then tried it again in the PB.
But still no dice.
The first time, it got past the welcome page to the Main Menu, but then hung up when I tried to open the Library.
The next time, we were once again hung up at the Welcome page.
So now I will reduce the volume on the Card by deleting all the epubs, just leaving the PDFs and DJVUs, and then try the PB again (and if it does get to the Main Menu, I'll try the clean-up).
If that doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion about the battery.
And if that doesn't work, I will carefully and calmly hurl it straight through the front window.
(and if
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
You may also try booting without SD -> shutdown. Boot with SD and enter Favourites instead of Library ( even if it's empty) and from there access the Library. Did the trick for me some times.

All this adding and deleting files direct on the computer makes things only worse.

Best is simply to reglash the firmware,you can do no harm there and all your settings and other stuff will survive...
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Jozawun
Fanatic

OK, thanks very much to both of you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

First, I opened it without the SD Card, and did the clean up as suggested by Billi.

Then I opened it with the Card, and got into the Library via Favourites, as suggested by troll05, and it worked.

So we're up and running again, thank you.

PS, not for the first time, I've just been wondering, what is a "Harmloser Idiot"? Or, come to that, a "Zuhause"?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post
So we're up and running again, thank you.

Glad it works again!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOZAWUN View Post

PS, not for the first time, I've just been wondering, what is a "Harmloser Idiot

Inoffensive idiot

Quote:
"? Or, come to that, a "Zuhause"?
At home
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
Jozawun
Fanatic

Thank you for the info, you learn something every day; and that's actually 2 things today.