Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
sandramonica
sandramonica began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipad
Question Which format is best for color cookbook

I have been scanning the internet far and wide to get some answers on which ebook format would be best for publishing a cookbook that contains color images as well as offers interactive content with links and video. I have looked at Barnes & Nobel's nook format and that does partly what I would like to achieve. But, then I would also like what 'flip books' offer, eg page turning and text wrap around images. I also would like the cookbook to be viewed off line. Then I wonder about security options. How is it possible to secure the book from being copied multiple times? So to sum up I would like to produce a cookbook that is interactive with the web, but also can be viewed off line, has the feel of a flip book with flipping pages and sound and has security in place to stop it from being copied. It also should be possible to download it on a laptop as well as ipad.

Ideas, anyone, or is this the 'holy grail'?
sandramonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It sounds like you want to publish only for iBooks (which does not work on a pc). Consider your potential market. If you want protection against copying, you are going to have to require the use of DRM.

It might be possible to do most of what you want via PDF, but most ebook readers will not do a good job of displaying a PDF file.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Actually, it looks like you want to create an application, rather than a book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
ePUB and PDF can have video embedded. They can also have DRM but you should know nearly all DRM can be circumvented (and for those that can't right now, just wait a few months).

But you shouldn't worry about that if the content is good -- and why wouldn't it be good since you're willing to go as far as to add videos to them ?

Page flipping is somewhat of a gimmick. AFAIK, Blio is the only Windows application that can flip pages, except it's tied down to a .xpm-something format (the main reason I unsubscribed from their newsletter, it was disappointing that a year later they failed to provide ePUB support like they said).

On Apple devices there's iBooks and that's about it... Stanza also flips pages but last time I checked it doesn't work with DRM ePUBs.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, cookbook, flip book, ipad