Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Portable Linux version of Sigil

http://portablelinuxapps.org/ has created a self-contained, no install (portable*) Linux version of the 0.2.4 release.
This file has been created as AppImage with all dependencies included** and is tested to work on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 32-bit, OpenSUSE 11.3 (GNOME) 32-bit and Fedora 12 (GNOME) 32-bit.

They also made a short How To available at
http://portablelinuxapps.org/forum/v...c.php?f=5&t=69

Maybe something like this can be made available at the official download site?
You could
- easily upgrade your Linux distribution (just use the new AppImage)
- run it from external drives
- run it without installation and you wouldn't even need admin rights

*Like any other Linux application, an AppImage normally stores its configuration data in your home folder. It'll even use your configuration data from previous installations of that application. And just like any other Linux application, you can change the location by „export $HOME=/some/path ; ./Sigil*“.
** Only dependencies, not part of the base-installations of the three tested distributions, are included.

readx

Last edited by readx; 08-29-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: correction
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thumbs up

Quite interesting initiative.

It can prove sometimes to be very handy. As far as Sigil is concerned, it saves tons of place...

Sigil on my Ubuntu Lucid takes "normally" about 50 megs to download but occupies 238 megs on my /opt folder plus 30 in the /home for its scratchpad.

With this system, it needs 24 megs...No comparison. 10% of its former place!!! This is much better. The full weight of Qt is gone. But maybe it's using the Qt library already installed on my system by the previous Sigil?

Thanks for the tip, I'll also learn how to produce one out of a deb.

Last edited by roger64; 08-30-2010 at 02:16 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
If you're running a 64-bit Linux, don't bother. PortableLinuxApps only supports 32-bit OSes.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, they are just beginning. They demoed some 32bits applications but I think there is no forever impossibility about producing later 64 bits ready applications. Their distribution is not yet out...

By the way, I suppressed my previous Sigil 32bits install with its full qt kit. The Sigil AppImage (32bits) is working perfectly and uses only 24 megs. I keep it.

Last edited by roger64; 09-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I think there is no forever impossibility about producing later 64 bits ready applications. Their distribution is not yet out...
There is no technical reason that 64-bit versions couldn't be produced, as you say. However, given the opinion they've expressed (there's no legitimate reason for running a 64-bit OS other than to support gobs of RAM) I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
By the way, I suppressed my previous Sigil 32bits install with its full qt kit. The Sigil AppImage (32bits) is working perfectly and uses only 24 megs. I keep it.
Sorry, I'm not following you here. I'm not sure "suppressed" is quite the word you were looking for.

--Nathanael
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
there's no legitimate reason for running a 64-bit OS other than to support gobs of RAM
Whoever says that is wildly ignorant. See the wikipedia article. The most important changes (beside the larger address space) are the new registers (both GP and XMM) and making SSE instructions core (which makes it safe for compilers to use them since they have to be supported).

These other changes alone make the Sigil x64 versions consistently 10% faster at common tasks. The same is true for lots of other programs. Just the doubling of the number of GP registers from 8 in x86 to 16 in x64 moves register pressure from "extreme" to "manageable".

True, pointers getting bigger (from 32 bits to 64) hurts cache locality, but the other improvements generally make up for it.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post

Sorry, I'm not following you here. I'm not sure "suppressed" is quite the word you were looking for.

--Nathanael

How to say it ? I tried to say that it's no more on my computer, it's gone, erased, destroyed. I don't use it anymore. I only keep the AppImage.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Whoever says that is wildly ignorant.
You won't get any argument from me. But the folks over at PortableLinuxApps seem a might contrarian. From an admin post in their forums:

Quote:
If you are running a 64-bit (x64) system (as is useful only when you have very large amounts of RAM installed), then you need to install 32bit compatibility libraries in order to use the AppImages from this site. However, most desktop users should have no need to use a 64-bit (x64) system at this time.
For those of us looking for to 64-bit portable Linux apps, I guess we'll have to start rolling our own.

--Nathanael
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard

I did not see it. You are right, and probably you will have to wait a bit or try to build your own.

My bet is that they will have to change their minds about it quickly enough. Let's remember their project is in its infancy and Paris has not been done in one day.

Nobody is perfect, even me ...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Nathanael
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

How to say it ? I tried to say that it's no more on my computer, it's gone, erased, destroyed. I don't use it anymore. I only keep the AppImage.
"Erased, "deleted" or "uninstalled", I think will do. I'd love to be able to run the portable Sigil; but as I run a 64-bit OS, I'd need to install all the 32-bit libraries, which is not only a hassle, but would end up consuming more disk space than Sigil does.

Oh, well.

--Nathanael