Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
How to get Facebook integration to work on non Amazon bought books

I have purchases books on other sites in epub format and converted the to mobi using Calibre; however, when I take and do a highlight for facebook on the kindle it 90+ percent of the time always says "Personal Document". The thing is some of the books that I have done that way "The Overton Window by Glenn Beck" for example, have shown up just fine. It shows the thumbnail on the facebook post and the title and all. Is there something specific that has to be changed to fool the kindle into thinking you purchased it from amazon's site? Really enjoy the facebook feature but I don't always get my books from amazon.

Thanks for the help.

TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Might not be this - but somewhere in the conversion process there is a tag called PDOC, I think it is under the MOBI output settings somewhere. Try taking that out as I think it might tag to save as Personal Docs to the Kindle.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
TonytheBookworm
Addict

Wonderful I will get that a shot thanks both of you so much for the help!!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
TonytheBookworm
Addict

i removed the pdoc but it didn't appear to help anything. I seen somewhere about a tag that was ebok could that be used in calibre?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
Um, you can you the Facebook feature with any book. It just sends a post with a link to your highlight/note on kindle.amazon.com. And if the book didn't come from Amazon, then it just says from a personal document.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
TonytheBookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
Um, you can you the Facebook feature with any book. It just sends a post with a link to your highlight/note on kindle.amazon.com. And if the book didn't come from Amazon, then it just says from a personal document.
Right, I understand that. But I was curious to know what lets it know that is an Amazon book. Because I have some books I have downloaded that are in mobi but I didn't purchase them from amazon yet when i highlight and send to facebook instead of saying personal document it displays the cover and the author and book title.

I was just curious if there was some type of tag, isbn or whatever that amazon is looking for. I know it is not looking at my account for the book because like I stated I didn't buy the books from amazon.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
Oh, ok. Sorry, didn't understand the issue.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
lacon666
lacon666 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Don't know if you still looking for this...

I was using Calibre to change the tag.. either PDOC or EBOK

But as of today.. my kindle2 does not show the options for those 2 tags.
I just got the latest firmware.

It looks like they may have done away with that and added collections. Is this the case for you guys?

-d
lacon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I made a post about this here. I think we determined that Amazon uses the ASIN to determine what the book is. Without that, I'm pretty sure it's just tagged as a personal document. I don't know how to manually put an ASIN into a mobi file, though. If you figure it out, please share!
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
TonytheBookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I made a post about this here. I think we determined that Amazon uses the ASIN to determine what the book is. Without that, I'm pretty sure it's just tagged as a personal document. I don't know how to manually put an ASIN into a mobi file, though. If you figure it out, please share!
yeah i was thinking the same thing with the asin embedding. My assumption is it uses the amazon webservices api on that specific asin.

I wish I knew how to decompile a azw file and actually look at the headers to see if i can see anything in there might throw a clue.