Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
whats the difference?

Being a complete newbie with a wish to own an Iliad, I don't understand the difference between Iliad versions.

Is V1 same as plain Iliad and V2 same as Iliad 2nd edition? Is it just the battery that is different?

Is the book edition only missing the WiFi?

And a couple of 2nd hand ones I have seen (online) appear to have had a fix a'la MobileRead info https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30794.

Thanks in advance
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See wiki: iLiad. Some of the V1's got updated batteries from iRex, so the 2nd hand ones are not necessarily using the iLiad Battery Hack for 3rd party batteries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post

Being a complete newbie with a wish to own an Iliad, I don't understand the difference between Iliad versions.

Is V1 same as plain Iliad and V2 same as Iliad 2nd edition? Is it just the battery that is different?
Yes.

v1 = original iLiad = 12 hour battery
v2 = 2nd Edition = 15 hour battery

Some people sent their v1 back to iRex and got the upgraded battery installed, so some of the v1's also have the 15 hour battery.

The only other difference is that they redesigned some of the internal structure of the case to give a little better support to the screen.

Other than that they're identical. They run the same firmware, have the same features, etc.

Quote:
Is the book edition only missing the WiFi?
Correct. The Book Edition is a v2, but without the WiFi feature (and silver instead of black).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

heaps and heaps

That makes sense as I couldn't tell any other differences from the stats.

The next question, if I may ask....

Is is worth the extra for the WiFi as I live in Oz and I don' think it would even work here. One assumes it has to pick up a US signal.

Book edition cost $1099 and V2 $1299 Online in Oz.

I have looked at the Book shop on the irex site, but if you try to buy (pretending at this stage) they always say out of stock and US dealers think Aust is an invalid postcode.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Is is worth the extra for the WiFi as I live in Oz and I don' think it would even work here. One assumes it has to pick up a US signal.
It should work fine. WiFi is a wireless ethernet connection. You'll need a wireless router either at home or whatever site you will use to access the internet. This is different than a 3G connection through a cell phone company, which may be what you're thinking of. The 3G connection that the DR800SG has is US only at the moment.

There's not really a whole lot you'll be able to do with the WiFi on an iLiad though. The main use for it was to receive software updates, but they are no longer updating the iLiad, so as long as you have 2.12.1 you shouldn't need to upgrade. There is a little bit of content that you can access with it, but not a whole lot. I think iRex has a couple newspapers, but only a handful and I don't think any of them are Oz specific. I seem to remember there being a French one, or something like that. The only way to download eBooks off of the internet on an iLiad is by using 3rd party software that you install yourself, it doesn't come with that capability.

What I primarily used WiFi on my iLiad for was to sync content with my PC instead of using the USB cable. I have a home network and could load eBooks from my PC to the iLiad anywhere in the house, by using the local WiFi. Most people don't really do it that way though, and plugging in a USB cable directly to your PC works just as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Shaggy,

Now I think I understand.
It would be like my laptop that connects to the router by wireless and the other computers that have to be plugged in.

If I had V2 it would be like the laptop, and book edition would be like the other PCs. So it is for access to the computer, NOT to any network to directly download any books.

Cheers