Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #26521
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Happy to oblige.

Ti Kwan Yin in my mug.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #26522
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It's a bit cool this evening, so making some fresh decaf Sumatra coffee and trying to decide what to make for dinner.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #26523
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero as usual.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #26524
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Pu Erh, Seven Sons. Trying to wake up and struggling. Two bad nights of sleep Sunday and Monday are making life a bit more challenging even with a good nights sleep last night. Nap this afternoon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #26525
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
Drinking coffee and looking for a laptop. Does anyone here know much about them? I'm looking at this one currently: Toshiba Satellite P875.

It will come to about $750 (Tax and shipping included) for a refurbished one.
I have not bought a Windows based machine in many years... but Toshiba has a good rep, and I know plenty of ppl like it. I would make these general suggestions..

1) At least 8gb of RAM. (and make sure it is upgradable to 16 for down the road in order to compensate for continued software bloat)

2) Go for SSD for the HD if your budget allows (and turn on full drive encryption as soon as you get it, either way).

3) Go for dedicated graphics card

4) Since you are looking at a laptop pay attention to the number and kinds of ports - you will not be able to add any ever so make sure what you have will work.

5) Pay attn to screen size, bigger is not better on a laptop you need to lug around with you. Around 14-15 seem to be a good trade off for most ppl, but go see a machine and get a feel for its size.

6) Get an extended battery

Beyond that... good luck!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #26526
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd go with what VydorScope has to say, except not to bother with a dedicated graphics card if you don't do gaming or graphics intensive tasks. OTOH, if you do, you'll definitely want it. Definitely go for an SSD, it makes all the difference. And while screen a big screen size isn't a plus unless you like carrying it around and you actually need it, screen quality and pixel count do matter at all sizes. Also, make sure you can stand the keyboard. I absolutely love my HP EliteBook, but hate my Asus. Technically, the Asus was slightly more powerful, and had a better graphics card. But the keyboard was totally hopeless and ruined the machine for me.

At 14.5 inches, the HP Elite Book was a much better compromise between functionality and weight. Be really sure you want and need a 17 inch screen before you decide to live with one.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #26527
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'd go with what VydorScope has to say, except not to bother with a dedicated graphics card if you don't do gaming or graphics intensive tasks. OTOH, if you do, you'll definitely want it. Definitely go for an SSD, it makes all the difference. And while screen a big screen size isn't a plus unless you like carrying it around and you actually need it, screen quality and pixel count do matter at all sizes. Also, make sure you can stand the keyboard. I absolutely love my HP EliteBook, but hate my Asus. Technically, the Asus was slightly more powerful, and had a better graphics card. But the keyboard was totally hopeless and ruined the machine for me.

At 14.5 inches, the HP Elite Book was a much better compromise between functionality and weight. Be really sure you want and need a 17 inch screen before you decide to live with one.
Good point, forgot to mention screen pixel count/quality - probably because all I have to choose from in the Mac world is Retina - and that is good enough for me.

I would say that the graphics card is the one place I skimped in my last upgrade, and I notice it in video work (editing vacation videos for example), and other random places outside of gaming. Its not huge, and if it breaks your budget (unless your a gamer, and then well forget your budget), you be better served with an SSD then a graphics card in 90% of what people actually do.

I would definitely watch the refurb market from which ever brand you choose. They are often great buys, and normally come with the full warrenty as long as you buy direct.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #26528
CRussel
(he/him/his)

True about refurbs. But watch out for the age of the machine overall. There's very little you can do to improve a laptop, beyond putting in an SSD or more RAM. So when you reach the effective end of its life, you basically have a doorstop. I never advocate buying on the bleeding edge, but for laptops, I try to stay towards the front of the edge.

And now, back on topic -- Peet's Anniversary Breakfast Blend in my cup.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #26529
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
And a morning cup of Sumatra coffee for me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #26530
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmmm Hubby and I are thinking about a new computer. We each have a desk top but they are getting old. Given that I log onto the computer about once a week, if that, we know that we don't need two. I love my iPad.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #26531
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'll sing you this October song.
Oh, there is no song before it.
The words and tune are none of my own
for my joys and sorrows bore it.

Beside the sea,
The brambly briars in the still of evening.
Birds fly out behind the sun
and with them I'll be leavng.

The fallen leaves that jewel the ground
They know the art of dying.
And leave with joy their glad gold hearts
In the scarlet shadows lying.

When hunger calls my footsteps home
The morning follows after.
I swim the seas within my mind
And the pine trees laugh green laughter.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnJdQ9izto )

Good morning, everyone! Can it really be the other side of the month already? Wow! It goes so quickly.... There is Taylors of Harrogate's "English Breakfast" tea in my mug, a tray of biscuits baking in the oven, and it looks as if today will be another delightful day in the Land of Smiles. We're beginning the process of getting our Thai driver's licenses today... Not even remotely similar to the process in Japan. There it was all about skills. Here it's all about paperwork; certificates of residency from the consulates, medical certificates, application forms in triplicate... Then it's off to the Motor Vehicle Department for an eye test, a 10 question Rules of the Road (which are NEVER followed by local drivers) test, (with help from the proctors) and that's about it. We can pay about $10 in 'tea money' and not have to take the driving test, or pay $3 and take it and be guaranteed of passing it... We 'may' be grandfathered in because of our Japanese licenses, which will mean just the $3 'gift' and no driving test at all.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #26532
Nikola Tesla
Formerly TT
Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikola Tesla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch/ Nexus 7/ Nexus 4
Thanks, VydorScope and CRussel.

I ended up buying that Toshiba this morning. It comes with 8GB of RAM (2X4GB) with two empty slots, and it supports a maximum of 32GB, which is pretty much max on any laptop I've seen. And it has the i7-3630QM so the performance should be pretty good.

It doesn't have a graphics card but I don't think I'll be doing much graphics intensive gaming on it. So the built in one should be fine. And I really don't want to pour a ton of money into a gaming laptop; they seem like a bit of money pit IMHO.

It comes with a 750GB HDD, but it also has a second HDD slot, so I can add an SSD if I want to. And I might do that in a few months once the price for 120GB SSD's are down a little more.

The screen is 1080p and has good reviews, so it should be good.

And I did order a refurbished one, so it should come to about $750 once it arrives (1-2 Weeks).
Nikola Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #26533
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The jack for my netbook's power cord broke without warning yesterday. Man, I wish there was some way to charge its battery pack other than through the netbook.

Anyway, I'm looking for a small laptop myself. I don't do much video work, so I don't need a video card. I do a lot of audio work, but mostly on my desktop. And If I want to use the laptop I have a good external USB sound "card" I can use.

I do, however, want a CD/DVD drive, and that seems to be getting more rare these days.

Anyway, I think I found one.

Now, what I really need, is a short extension for the power cord so I can make a strain relief and not have this happen again!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #26534
VydorScope
Wizard

Traveling so Folgers singles in my mug.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #26535
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Water but I had some Sencha this morning

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?