3. The Broken God by David Zindell
4. No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre
5. The Collector by John Fowles
6. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
7. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
8. Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison
9. The Gunslinger by Stephen King
10. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

I have read many of the classics, but my first love is still in the SF genre. My #1 pick has been there since I was ten years old - I'm reading it for the 4th time right now.

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
maggie*
PRS addicted...
maggie* began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
That's tough.... but it's a great post to find something you might like to read... you know similar tastes...

Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
Anna Karenina Tolstoy
The Lord of the Rings Tolkien
His Dark Materials Philip Pullman
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams
Dune Frank Herbert
North and South Elizabeth Gaskell
Lord of the Flies William Golding
Harry Potter Series J. K. Rowling
Dracula Bram Stoker

Well I've read these this last few years so I remember them, I'm sure there are so much more I enjoyed before...

m*
maggie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #33
ronnn
ronnn began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
My 10 books or series of books :

1 - Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
2 - the neverending story - Michael Ende
3 - Robots and Foundation cycle from Asimov
4 - The Discworld serie - Terry Pratchett
5 - Le comte de monte christo - Alexandre Dumas
6 - Wuthering heights - Emily bronte
7 - Brave new world - Aldous Huxley
8 - Hamlet - Shakespeare
9 - Hercule poirot mysteries serie - Agatha Christie
10 - The lord of the rings - J.R.R Tolkien

Last edited by ronnn; 10-01-2009 at 04:40 PM.
ronnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #34
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Foundation series (of course)
Hobbit and LOTR series
A Fire Upon the Deep series
Black Beauty
Nova by Samuel R Delaney
The Once and Future King and/or Morte de Arthur
Starfish series by Peter Watts
Discworld series
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #35
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
My honest top ten list (not my still an an english major after all these years list)

1) Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)
2) Breakfast At Tiffanys (Truman Capote)
3) Anne of Green Gables (LM Montgomery)
4) Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
5) Confessions of A Failed Southern Lady (Florence King)
6) A Town Like Alice (Nevil Shute)
7) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert Heinlein)
8) Hotel New Hampshire (John Irving)
9) Prodigal Women (Nancy Hale)
10) Hitchhikers Guide (Douglas Adams)
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #36
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Master and Margarita by Mihail Bulgakov
Dune by Frank Herbert
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hasek
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
Foam of the Daze by Boris Vian
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #37
dmen1
dmen1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
john updike rabbit run
richard russo empire falls
john steinbeck winter of our discontent
dmen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #38
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
2. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
3. The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
5. Ben Hur by Lew Wallace
6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
7. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. World War Z by Max Brooks
10. The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #39
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
So, is that 3 weeks now? Curious to see the results (but too lazy to tabulate them myself).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
So, is that 3 weeks now? Curious to see the results (but too lazy to tabulate them myself).

Mel
Yep - it's my job for the weekend so I'll hopefully get some results out by this Sunday.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank you Sir!

Will look forward to the results.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #42
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The Results !!

OK - having said that I would compile the results at the weekend, I actually started (and finished) it tonight.

For both the lists below, I have shown all the entries that garnered three or more votes and then listed them in descending order (i.e. 'winner' first). The final number in each line is the number of votes gained.

Firstly, the most popular single books (or series of books) were..... ......

Lord of the Rings trilogy - J R R Tolkien -11
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - 8
Foundation Trilogy - Issac Asimov - 6
Dune - Frank Herbert -5
1984 - George Orwell - 5
The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien - 5
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - 5
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie - 4
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley - 4
The Count of Monte Christo - Alexandre Dumas - 4
Harry Potter series - J K Rowling - 4
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen - 4
Watership Down - Richard Adams - 4
The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger - 3
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck - 3
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - 3
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut - 3
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein - 3

Secondly, the most popular authors were..... ......

J R R Tolkien - 16
John Steinbeck - 10
Douglas Adams - 8
Issac Asimov - 8
Alexandre Dumas - 7
Agatha Christie - 6
Frank Herbert - 5
Robert Heinlein - 5
William Shakespeare - 5
George Orwell - 5
Jane Austen - 5
J K Rowling - 4
Richard Adams - 4
J. D. Salinger - 4
Jules Verne - 4
Aldous Huxley - 4
Kurt Vonnegut - 4
Joseph Heller - 3
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 3
Arthur C. Clarke - 3
Charles Dickens - 3
David Zindell - 3
Mary Stewart - 3
Robertson Davies - 3
Stephen King - 3 **
Terry Pratchett - 3
Walter Scott - 3
Harlan Ellison - 3
Victor Hugo - 3

** One book co-authored with Peter Straub.

Probably no real surprise to see LOTR and JRR Tolkien at the top (?), but interesting to see the range of styles and eras of authors represented. I think it shows the breadth of membership that MobileRead attracts.

Thoughts etc.. please?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #44
bcumyns
bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300
Wow - this is really personal. I think I'll call my list Ten Great Reads

Ten Great Reads
1. Anna Karenina Tolstoy
2. Moby Dick Melville
3. Catch 22 Heller
4. Infinite Jest Wallace
5. Cold Mountain Frazier
6. The Prince of Tides Conroy
7. The Magus Fowles
8. The Corrections Franzen
9. Huckleberry Finn Clemens
10. The Recognitions Gaddis
bcumyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #45
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Too late, I kow, but I'll add my thought.

Otley Victorious - Martin Waddell
Red Harvest - Dashiell Hammett
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Dracula - Bram Stoker
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
The Long Goodbye - Raymond Chandler
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote