Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
NOTE: I moved these from another thread because I made a mistake and took the thread off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
I do not think XDXF would work well because it is a single file. Russian-English dictionary is 100 meg XML file: loading that in handheld memory would be challenging. So, at a minimum, single XML needs to be broken into pieces. Also, it is not an issue how to represent the content: it can be done either by CSS-styled XDXF snippets or CSS-styled XHTML with classes. This part is OK, no changes to the standard are required. The issue is how to build an index that can quickly guide reading system to the appropriate part of the content. Note that a single index file won't cut it - it will likely be too large. Some sort of hierarchical structure broken between several files is needed. That, I think, is an extension to EPUB that needs to be defined (or borrowed).
I see the index as a feature of the reader software, not the Epub format. That's how Mobipocket Reader does it. When you look at the index of a dictionary in MobiReader, what you see on the screen was generated on the fly by the software. You're not looking at the contents of a file.

The Kindle does create index files, true. But it indexes all the ebooks on the device, not just the ones with Mobipocket's reference tags. This is a software feature that can be implemented now, without using these tags.

Besides, I thought the purpose of these tags was to remove the need for a separate index file.

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I see the index as a feature of the reader software, not the Epub format. That's how Mobipocket Reader does it.
Are you sure about that? I have always assumed that a MobiPocket dictionary contains an index.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure about that? I have always assumed that a MobiPocket dictionary contains an index.
I'm fairly certain that it's a result of the reader software, and not part of the ebook.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'm fairly certain that it's a result of the reader software, and not part of the ebook.
I am fairly certain that my Cybook does not index my dictionary. But I am a bit unsure about what you mean by indexing.

You realize that the html tags on MobiPockets homepage is not a description of the MobiPocket format? Running mobigen the html files can be converted to anything and an index can be added to the book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I am fairly certain that my Cybook does not index my dictionary. But I am a bit unsure about what you mean by indexing.

You realize that the html tags on MobiPockets homepage is not a description of the MobiPocket format? Running mobigen the html files can be converted to anything and an index can be added to the book.
Exactly, the performance issues clearly dictate that some sort of Index be provided. Searching the dictionary as linear database would take way too long.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:

I'm talking about something you can't do with the Cybook. It lacks the software because it's running an early generation of Mobipocket Java code.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm talking about something you can't do with the Cybook. It lacks the software because it's running an early generation of Mobipocket Java code.
Actually the Cybook runs the latest generation of Mobipocket java code and does support dictionaries. It is currently the best implementation of Mobipocket available in any eBook device with the possible exception of the Kindle.

Dale
Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the Cybook runs the latest generation of Mobipocket java code and does support dictionaries. It is currently the best implementation of Mobipocket available in any eBook device with the possible exception of the Kindle.

Dale
No. The Hanlin V3 runs the latest version. This has been demonstrated.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Okay. I went and built my World Fact eBook again. The log shows the that the indexes are built in to the book. I was wrong.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No. The Hanlin V3 runs the latest version. This has been demonstrated.
the Hanlin has no dictionary support at all and its font support is quite limited. If it is the latest version then Cybook has done some serious modification. One thing I want to see in the Hanlin mobi support is to decrease the font size on superscipt items.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the Hanlin has no dictionary support at all and its font support is quite limited. If it is the latest version then Cybook has done some serious modification. One thing I want to see in the Hanlin mobi support is to decrease the font size on superscipt items.
I hadn't known that the V3 doesn't have dictionary support. That's odd. Jinke must have screwed up when porting the software.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I see the index as a feature of the reader software, not the Epub format. That's how Mobipocket Reader does it. When you look at the index of a dictionary in MobiReader, what you see on the screen was generated on the fly by the software. You're not looking at the contents of a file.
That's a legitimate point of view, of course. The problem is that building index on the device would be slow and drain the battery and building it elsewhere would mean that special software needs to be used to transfer the book to the device. I think that support for indexing is just too central for a dictionary to leave it out.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
That's a legitimate point of view, of course. The problem is that building index on the device would be slow and drain the battery and building it elsewhere would mean that special software needs to be used to transfer the book to the device. I think that support for indexing is just too central for a dictionary to leave it out.
I believe you are right. I suspect the easy way to generate an index is just to develop a linked list of all the words. Simple to navigate and does not need a separate list of words.

Dale
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
One thing that many dictionary formats miss is that one entry can be indexed by many headwords. This is quite important for languages like Japanese. For example, meguirau, 巡り会う, めぐり会う and めぐりあう are all different spellings of the same word and all should match the entry.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
One thing that many dictionary formats miss is that one entry can be indexed by many headwords. This is quite important for languages like Japanese. For example, meguirau, 巡り会う, めぐり会う and めぐりあう are all different spellings of the same word and all should match the entry.
The entry itself should list all the words that match it IMHO.

Dale