Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Question Battery holding charge?

How long does your DR hold a charge if you don't use it?

Charge it up.. turn it off and let it sit for a couple of days...
Do you still have power in the battery?

I don't....

Valky
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

Sometimes, I get a really long charge - after several days, charge is still at 60%. Sometimes, the next morning device is already dead.

I suspect two things. First, i think the battery meter isn't reliable yet. Second, I think the device wakes up from time to time, but fails to go back to sleep/off.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
To clarify: You mean you completely turn off the device, correct? I've also noticed that the battery sometimes drains itself even when the device is completely shut down. I suspect that the device does not always shutdown completely (even if the screen goes white), and the processor or something else keeps running. This happens pretty rarely though.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well the battery & processor can never truly shutdown, otherwise it wouldn't wake up since the buttons are capacitive.
I must admit I've never been able to leave mine long enough to determine the quiescent discharge rate though. I keep using it. However, when I go away on vacation later, I will find out as I'll take the Cybook rather than the DR. So I'll charge the DR before hand & see after 5 days or 2 weeks whether it has lasted the course. In the meantime, it would be interesting to see other peoples experiences.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

I'd love to know what you all are getting...

It seems if I leave it for 48 hours it has no charge when I come back...
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Several days without losing almost any charge (but that happens seldom since I tend to still use it regularly).

Even though I haven't had a problem since the 1.5 update, I still double-check if it's properly shut down (i.e. no top LED flashing, no reaction of the buttons)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Several days without losing almost any charge here, too.

I can't remember when I last started up my DR - maybe early-mid last week. Today, Monday, its still showing as full battery (its been switched on for an hour).

I check its fully shut-down each time I switch it off, too, with a press on a (non-menu) button to check it is not responsive.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
DavidP
DavidP began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000SW
I have just turned my machine on and it is showing two bars.

I charged it a week ago and then used it for note taking on Tuesday during a three hour meeting. I used it briefly Wednesday and then left it alone for over four days until I turned it on this morning.

In use for taking notes it only lasts about a day but turned off it keeps the charge for several days at least.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
[QUOTE=cbell;419648]Several days without losing almost any charge here, too.

I can't remember when I last started up my DR - maybe early-mid last week. Today, Monday, its still showing as full battery (its been switched on for an hour).

[QUOTE]

Exactly the same with my device.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
I didn't use it all weekend. I recall the battery gauge read something in the 60s on Friday, it reads 64% now.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
To clarify: You mean you completely turn off the device, correct? I've also noticed that the battery sometimes drains itself even when the device is completely shut down. I suspect that the device does not always shutdown completely (even if the screen goes white), and the processor or something else keeps running. This happens pretty rarely though.
Yes, this is a known issue. They made some fixes in the 1.5 firmware to address this, but I don't think they completely solved the problem. I believe they are still working on it.

I think the current theory is that some of the documents don't close completely for whatever reason, and the device looks like it shutdown, but is really still running (basically the open documents get hung). Some people have said that making sure you close all of your documents first, and even removing the SD card, will make the shutdown much more reliable.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
i haven't used the device for several days , except minutes. it didn't go much down , 5% each day , but losing all charge on two days , there is definitely a charge leak somewhere i guess
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
My DR is 6 days old. Last night, when I finished reading and shut it down, there was 53% battery left. Tonight, when I tried to turn it on, the DR was dead. Thanks I have been in this forum for months and I have seen the similar problems. So I was NOT surprised, NOT worried I just peacefully connected it to the computer and charged it for about 20 minutes. Now it is alive again. Very interesting experience. I feel I like a white mouse for some experiment. I think it is necessary to buy a battery charger now. O!!! My money...
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
yingwu, it's good that you didn't panic, but just calmly put your DR on charge. A charge can solve so many problems, not just with DRs, but all e-Ink devices

As you'd know, the battery indicator icon isn't fully reliable for the first few charges.

There's advice for managing battery charging at
http://www.irextechnologies.com/batteries

While this document is written for iLiads, I expect it's also applicable for DRs (just ignore the parts about stylus, wifi, usb stick)...
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #15
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
yingwu, it's good that you didn't panic, but just calmly put your DR on charge. A charge can solve so many problems, not just with DRs, but all e-Ink devices

As you'd know, the battery indicator icon isn't fully reliable for the first few charges.

There's advice for managing battery charging at
http://www.irextechnologies.com/batteries

While this document is written for iLiads, I expect it's also applicable for DRs (just ignore the parts about stylus, wifi, usb stick)...
I see. Five charging-cycles...
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote