Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
anyone else wish you could change the frontlighting colour?

For reading before bed, a white light seems far from ideal since it messes up your circadian rhythms. Similarly for use while camping or another low-light situation white light will ruin your night vision. In both cases a red light would be ideal, which is why I use a red headlamping when reading in these situations, since they don't engage your rod cells at all.

Does anyone else think it's a bit impractical that front-lit ereaders all have extremely-bright-even-at-lowest-setting white lights? Also am I wrong in assuming that any white LED can just as easily be adjustable, since it by necessity includes three colour phosphors? Really wish they would do something about this...
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Does anyone else think it's a bit impractical that front-lit ereaders all have extremely-bright-even-at-lowest-setting white lights?
They don't. The Kindle Paperwhite has light levels adjustable between "1" and "24". I find the 10-12 level perfect for reading in the dark. At "1" the light is a bare glimmer, even in pitch darkness.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I didn't know I had rod cells.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They don't. The Kindle Paperwhite has light levels adjustable between "1" and "24". I find the 10-12 level perfect for reading in the dark. At "1" the light is a bare glimmer, even in pitch darkness.
A few people using the new Kobo find the lowest light setting much too bright for them: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194786

I only have the lighted case for my kindle, there's no way to adjust it. I think it's perfect, not too bright, not too dim. I've used reading lights that were ridiculously bright and would be disappointed if the lowest light setting were like those ones.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Brightness is a comfort factor, but colour is also important imo since it's the difference between retaining your night vision vs. losing it for an extended period. Particularly if you're outdoors at night it can be a big issue.

Also I'm not sure what impact very dim white light has on your circadian system i.e. internal clock but a red light has none.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know if your eyes are insensitive to light or mine are too sensitive but 10-12 in the dark would blast my retinas out! I use 2-4 in the dark.

I can see the light from 1 even with the lights on. And I can using 1 in the dark. It's dim, but I wouldn't characterize it as a bare glimmer.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly. I'm an astronomer, so well acquainted with the use of red light to preserve night vision. But I wouldn't want red light on a book reader. It's not comfortable to read by - at least, I don't find it to be so. I find the Kindle Paperwhite, on a low light setting, to be excellent for night-time reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote