Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #901
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You really should give the Patrick Tull versions a try. I think he is a better storyteller, and I do find Stephen's accent just wrong with Simon Vance.
Aha! You have fingered the flaw in the Vance rendention. I admit it, I was put off at first by his Maturin but I got used to it. Reason enough to give Tull a try and I will, but in the meantime...

...now that it's August (barely!), I've cracked and started Desolation Island with Vance. I had put it on my Aerb to be listened to after another book and I just couldn't resist. But this has to be it for a few months!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #902
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Man, I held off buying The Magic Engineer for months, finally ponied up the $8-9 on Amazon this week, and today it drops to $2.99

Oh well, I still got the ebook plus audiobook for less than the cost of an audible credit. I'm in a catch 22 with audible right now where I don't want to cancel my subscription because I have a stack of credits, but the credits keep stacking up because everything is cheaper as an ebook + audiobook package through Amazon.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #903
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Alas, Silkworm came to an end! I really loved both the story and narration. I am surely looking forward to J. K. Rowling's next novel. Not sure what to start but the discussion between issybird and CRussel is pushing me towards Aubrey/Maturin series.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #904
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Alas, Silkworm came to an end! I really loved both the story and narration. I am surely looking forward to J. K. Rowling's next novel. Not sure what to start but the discussion between issybird and CRussel is pushing me towards Aubrey/Maturin series.
Well, you won't go far wrong with it. The discussion with issybird has me starting the series again, and I'm enjoying it all over again. Even though, IMO, Master and Commander is not even the best of the series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #905
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Well, you won't go far wrong with it. The discussion with issybird has me starting the series again, and I'm enjoying it all over again. Even though, IMO, Master and Commander is not even the best of the series.
But it should be read in that order?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #906
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And no, I think he hit his stride with the second book, Post Captain, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
But it should be read in that order?
...they absolutely must be read in order. And M&C is enjoyable on its own merits.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #907
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agree completely. M&C provides all the basis for the relationship between the two, while also setting several other things. And it is more than worth the read!! It is only in the context of having read all(or at least several) of the books that it is less. Look at it this way - we all get hooked on the series by reading it, and the series just gets better and better.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #908
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold and narrated wonderfully by Grover Gardener. This is the first book in the Miles Vorkosigan saga, but I recommend listening to the 2 books with Cordelia and Aral first.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #909
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm listening to Harlan Coben's Stay Close. I intended to read Hold Tight, but I own both and got the titles mixed up, so for the first few chapters of Stay Close, I was quite confused when the plot (secrets about a long-ago disappearance) didn't seem to match the synopsis of the book I wanted to read (overprotective parents spying on their kid's computer). Duh. Wouldn't it be nice if titles could be a little more distinctive?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #910
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Just finished Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold and narrated wonderfully by Grover Gardener. This is the first book in the Miles Vorkosigan saga, but I recommend listening to the 2 books with Cordelia and Aral first.
Yes, these are excellently narrated by Grover Gardner. And while I agree, it's useful to read Shards of Honor and Barrayar first, it certainly isn't required. And the "first" book in the universe is Falling Free. IAC, all good books. And one of my favourite authors.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #911
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Recently finished Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch book one of the series it was Ok I'm not sure I'll be in a hurry to continue on with the series. They are making a tv show out of this which I've seen the preview for and it looks like it will be sticking very close to the book.

After that I started Sand by Hugh Howey and I'm really enjoying it. I'm already over halfway through and although I'm keen to see what is going to happen, I'm not in a hurry for it to end!
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #912
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've listened to 6 Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson in a row (#5 through to #10). I have somehow become hooked, and because the storyline is a steady progression, each related to the same "otherworldliness", it has been like reading one loooong book. Narrated well by Christopher Price (these are the Brilliance Audio versions), although he is terrible at accents. Difficult sometimes to tell if the character is supposed to be Irish or Pakistani, but despite this I prefer his delivery to some of the other versions I have heard.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #913
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know, I'm lucky! I was aware of the books and don't know why I apparently decided they were not for me, until early this year when a friend forced me to promise to give them a try, after her gentle suggestions had had no result.

So I read Master and Commander and it was sheer delight. And then, when I decided I wanted to try audiobooks, I saw Post Captain, read by Simon Vance, on Overdrive. It was more delightful still. I've thought books two through four were even better than the first, but whether it's because O'Brian hit his stride or Vance brings something extra, I don't know.

While I now own all the ebooks, my first run-through is going to be with Simon. Speaking of whom, I know you give the edge to Patrick Tull. I picked up his Master and Commander on a BOGO at Audible, so I'll try him eventually, but he'll have to be very good indeed to displace Simon Vance in my affections!
Quote:
If you started with Simon Vance, the chances are you'll continue to prefer him. Having started with Patrick Tull, I have a preference for him. But I've listened to the Simon Vance versions, and they're really quite good, so I don't see a strong reason to change. That being said, there is at least one other reader out there, and I was not impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Aha! You have fingered the flaw in the Vance rendention. I admit it, I was put off at first by his Maturin but I got used to it. Reason enough to give Tull a try and I will, but in the meantime...

...now that it's August (barely!), I've cracked and started Desolation Island with Vance. I had put it on my Aerb to be listened to after another book and I just couldn't resist. But this has to be it for a few months!
OK, all this discussion has me back to re-reading Master and Commander (the Patrick Tull version). What FUN. This really is a great series. There are other naval Napoleonic War series (C. S. Forester and Alexander Kent are the best known), but they don't measure up to the Aubrey/Maturin books. Even though I enjoy them as well.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #914
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
What FUN.
The books are just so darned witty and even absurd at times. Totally chortle-worthy.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #915
TheRevolutionist
TheRevolutionist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm currently listening to The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, read by George Guidall - really magical, brings to life both 1899 New York and the backgrounds of the various characters across the world vividly.

I'm also listening to the Doctor Who 11 Doctors, 11 Stories short story collection by Penguin, written by various children's book authors, which is rather fun, and each story is a nice digestible length at around an hour each.
TheRevolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations