Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #811
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Why does this topic exist? Shouldn't we be asking Kobo to fix the current problems now.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #812
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Why does this topic exist? Shouldn't we be asking Kobo to fix the current problems now.
As the title of this thread suggests, it is for suggestions for new features that people would like to see added to firmware. Items such as adding Twitter integration to go with the Facebook integration or allowing zooming images in epub files which do not exist in the current firmware.

Bugs in the current firmware have their own thread -- see the Kobo Bug Thread if you want to complain about/comment on/whatever what you see as a bug in a current firmware release.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #813
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Show page numbers in the table of contents, the way old Sony PRS (pre-Android) did.
Given that epubs don't have fixed page sizes unless you have one of the few fixed layout/non-reflowable ebooks (possible under the EPUB3 standard but the few samples I've seen are not very usable and have a very poor user experience much like trying to use pdf files on an small eInk screen), showing page numbers in the table of contents would be very, very messy to implement. Even using the Adobe pseudo page number algorithm would be messy since that would require scanning the entire file and then somehow adding the page numbers to the table of contents. Just to add to the complexity, are we talking about an embedded table of contents or the toc.ncx file? You can use either with a Kobo ereader.

Regards,
David
Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #814
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Here's something that I don't know whether to call a bug report or a feature request...

I picked up a neat little gizmo from SanDisk that's a "Wireless Flash Drive." Short form: it's a chunky thumb drive with a built-in WiFi router. It's designed to be a way for multiple mobile devices to connect to a common data pool - for instance, store some music on it and different people can connect to the drive's network and access it. The important consideration is that it's a LAN; its purpose is to let devices interact without needing to access the internet.

Anyway, my idea was to store a copy of my DRM-free ebooks on the drive, so I could delete 'em after reading but be able to connect to the drive "in the wild" if I wanted to access 'em. Sounds reasonable, right?

My Kobo Glo will see the drive's network and let me attempt to connect to it, but always comes back with a vague error message. My Kindle Touch does the same thing, but gives a clearer message: it won't let me connect to the drive's WiFi because it can't get from there to the internet. It seems logical that this is likewise the case on the Glo.

I'd like to see that restriction removed. Sometimes you really do just want to connect to a LAN, and the Kobo firmware should permit that.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #815
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that epubs don't have fixed page sizes unless you have one of the few fixed layout/non-reflowable ebooks (possible under the EPUB3 standard but the few samples I've seen are not very usable and have a very poor user experience much like trying to use pdf files on an small eInk screen), showing page numbers in the table of contents would be very, very messy to implement. Even using the Adobe pseudo page number algorithm would be messy since that would require scanning the entire file and then somehow adding the page numbers to the table of contents. Just to add to the complexity, are we talking about an embedded table of contents or the toc.ncx file? You can use either with a Kobo ereader.

Regards,
David
Looks like they have everything they need. They do display page numbers now. They know the total number of pages (they are displaying the total number of pages). They know/calculate the particular page when you navigate using the table of contents. So when the TOC is shown, showing the page numbers should be trivial.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #816
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendron View Post
Yes, definitely.

And while they are at it, how about not having my Kobo turn itself completely off after being idle for a while? Just sleeping would be fine with me. It is very irritating to put my Kobo down for 30 minutes and then be forced to wait a minute to get back to reading.

I'd also like my Kobo to return to the book I was reading when it is turned on. Right now, I get the I'm Reading list first, and then I have to click my book.
Have tried setting the Power setting under Settings/Light, sleep and power to Never?

Seems to work for me to have my Aura HD not automatically power off.

Regards,
David
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #817
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Looks like they have everything they need. They do display page numbers now. They know the total number of pages (they are displaying the total number of pages). They know/calculate the particular page when you navigate using the table of contents. So when the TOC is shown, showing the page numbers should be trivial.

Actually, navigating using the table of contents uses links not page numbers. So calculating the approximate page number and then inserting it into the file to be displayed is not that trivial and totally non-standard. To make it even more fun, are we talking pages displayed in terms of the number of screens? A page number using the Adobe page counting algorithm? A fixed page number using the non-standard Adobe page-map?
Page numbers in a fixed layout epub? For the joy of reading a fixed layout epub, try reading a pdf.

While you're at it, take a good look at the Adobe algorithm used for calculating the page numbers that Kobo display in the right margin (if enabled) and for the footer. Look at a chapter file, count the number of 1024 byte blocks of compressed data remembering to always round up (1023 is 1 page, 1025 is 2 pages but the page number will be split at 512/513). If the epub has Adobe's ADEPT DRM, use the fudge factor for DRMed epubs since it adds a few bytes to each file. Now try to get those synthetic page numbers to relate to page numbers in a dead tree book.

And just to add more joy, the page numbering algorithm used by the ACCESS renderer is slightly different as well.

Regards,
David
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #818
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, navigating using the table of contents uses links not page numbers. So calculating the approximate page number and then inserting it into the file to be displayed is not that trivial and totally non-standard. ...
I don't think anyone was talking about inline TOC.
Quote:
To make it even more fun, are we talking pages displayed in terms of the number of screens? A page number using the Adobe page counting algorithm? A fixed page number using the non-standard Adobe page-map?
use whatever they are using now for page numbering.
Quote:
Page numbers in a fixed layout epub? For the joy of reading a fixed layout epub, try reading a pdf.

While you're at it, take a good look at the Adobe algorithm used for calculating the page numbers that Kobo display in the right margin (if enabled) and for the footer. Look at a chapter file, count the number of 1024 byte blocks of compressed data remembering to always round up (1023 is 1 page, 1025 is 2 pages but the page number will be split at 512/513). If the epub has Adobe's ADEPT DRM, use the fudge factor for DRMed epubs since it adds a few bytes to each file. Now try to get those synthetic page numbers to relate to page numbers in a dead tree book.
this sounds to me like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just pick a numbering scheme. Or heaven forbid, provide an option.
Quote:
And just to add more joy, the page numbering algorithm used by the ACCESS renderer is slightly different as well.
Again, more overcomplicating the problem.

Cheers,
John
Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #819
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
In the PDF reader, please make page turning bars wider.
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #820
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:

this sounds to me like you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just pick a numbering scheme. Or heaven forbid, provide an option.

I don't believe you understand his point.

He's not overcomplicating the problem; you're oversimplifying it. Your reader uses multiple different ways to calculate page numbers, depending on context, and some of those bear little resemblance to the "real page numbers" found in a printed book. That makes it impossible to "just pick one" without harmonizing all of those systems...which is a much taller order than you might think. I just finished a book last night that has a print page count around 380, but an electronic count closer to 260. Which one is right?

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 10-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #821
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I don't believe you understand his point.

He's not overcomplicating the problem; you're oversimplifying it.
ebooks have been around for a while now. The varying page numbering schemes are understood. I still don't see the problem.

Quote:
Your reader uses multiple different ways to calculate page numbers, depending on context, and some of those bear little resemblance to the "real page numbers" found in a printed book. That makes it impossible to "just pick one" without harmonizing all of those systems
which...is a much taller order than you might think. ...
For epubs, I assume it would be easier to use the numbering system that the ADE engine is using. So use that.

For kepubs, either change to the ADE page numbering system, or use screen page numbers.

Quote:
... I just finished a book last night that has a print page count around 380, but an electronic count closer to 260.

Which one is right?
I don't see a problem with this. Nobody is asking for miracles. Implement what you can.

They can bring an ereader to market, I have confidence they could implement page numbers if they wanted to.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #822
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

Cheers,
John
So you don't want the inline TOC to display the page numbers as well as the TOC displayed by parsing the toc.ncx file?

For me the only reason for having page numbers instead of, oh shocking thought, just navigating to a chapter would be to match the page numbers with a dead tree book. In a dead tree book, the page numbers are fixed and you need to flip through the pages to get to a chapter which is rather different from tapping on "Chapter 10 – The Wager Lost By Winning" and being deposited at that position in the ebook.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why you would want a number that lacks any true relevance to be displayed?

I really don't think that I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I however do seem to realize how the page numbers displayed in an epub format ebook are synthesized. If you can point me in the direction of a easy bug free method of inserting page numbers into the toc.ncx file -- remembering that we have a limited number of characters and several times I have seen TOC entries that required a tap to display the full chapter title and other entries that used an image file.

Regards,
David
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #823
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So you don't want the inline TOC to display the page numbers as well as the TOC displayed by parsing the toc.ncx file?
On the book menu, there is an menu entry "Table of Contents". When that is selected, a window is shown that says "Table of Contents" at the top. This is where I would like the page numbers. I assume this is what you are referring to as "TOC displayed by parsing the toc.ncx file"

Quote:
... For me the only reason for having page numbers instead of, oh shocking thought, just navigating to a chapter would be to match the page numbers with a dead tree book. In a dead tree book, the page numbers are fixed and you need to flip through the pages to get to a chapter which is rather different from tapping on "Chapter 10 – The Wager Lost By Winning" and being deposited at that position in the ebook.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why you would want a number that lacks any true relevance to be displayed? ...
Multiple reasons. It would depend on how they implement it. If they implemented ADE page numbering, I would use it for syncing between different devices and determing time to read.

Quote:
... I really don't think that I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I however do seem to realize how the page numbers displayed in an epub format ebook are synthesized. If you can point me in the direction of a easy bug free method of inserting page numbers into the toc.ncx file ...
Could you explain which TOC.ncx file you are talking about?

In case I haven't made it clear, I know next to nothing about epubs/kepubs.

And I'll just restate what I said before, selecting an entry in the table of contents, I see a page displayed with a page number at the bottom. I would like that page number displayed in the table of contents; I'm not saying the current API supports it, I do think it should be "easy" to display the page number. I do realize that it is easy for me to say, but so far, I haven't heard a good reason why it isn't easy.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #824
John F
Grand Sorcerer

David, you do stuff with Calibre? Are you thinking of making changes for Calibre? My comments weren't made with regards to Calibre, but with regards to the kobo devices.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #825
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
ebooks have been around for a while now. The varying page numbering schemes are understood. I still don't see the problem.
I open an ebook in Sigil and correct a couple of typos. Depending on which compression engine and settings I use to recompress the files, the ADE page numbering algorithm will give different results -- you do recall that ADE counts compressed data. My ebooks page numbers will no longer agree with those shown by a unmodified copy.

Pretty much the only way to have page numbers that would reflect the viewable characters would require the ereader to open the ebook, uncompress and render the data for all the page files and then calculate page numbers using a currently non-existent standard for a page size.

Regards,
David

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo