Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #766
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Ownership Info

Having just accidentally left an ereader on a plane, I'd like to suggest a place to optionally enter ownership info, and if the info is entered it gets displayed when the reader is off, and there is tile on the home screen for "Ownership Information"...

(The airline was great, called me the next day to say the reader would be back at my airport later that day, but I think only because I had a business card tucked into the cover. Now if they'd only get around to dropping the pointless requirement of shutting off devices during takeoff/landing. Some crews ignore ereaders, some however...)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #767
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think it is more interesting that you can use the reader only with an active account at Kobo.
So it is possible that foreign people can happily buy ebooks with your reader.

P.S. What's about an good old name tag on the reader or in the bag for it?
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #768
bits
bits began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Beginning with Kobo Glo Firmware 2.6 some things are not good anymore

1. The configurable black bar in the bottom has gone, I want it back. The irregular illumination is disturbing. This was one of the reasons to buy the Glo and not the Amazon Paperwhite.

2. The light controls are now very unergonomic reachable. It requires not several hand moves, this is annoying. I want it back to the bottom where it was very ergonomic to use.

3. The margin in the top is missing. Looks ugly. Please restore it to previous state and make it configurable.

New feature requests:

4. Introduce password protection. This is badly missing. Amazon i.e. has it ! Its too much work to re-login to kobo shop again and again when using a real "save password" of 20+ Upper/lowercase characters, numbers, etc. Please store the password encrypted on the device.

5. Everything which is related to Font, Fontsize, Borders, Spacing, Font thickness, etc ...:
- add numbers so that its easier to restore to the previous settings
- add user profiles where you can save / store these settings
If I do changes on my own or loan the reader to another person its so much work to finetune it back to the old settings

6. For people who loan books, show information when the loan expires, i.e. in the format "dd:hh:mm left".
Show this on:
a) home screen for the currently read book below "xx% read", i.e. in the format "dd:hh:mm left"
b) in the list of books, also in folders in a new line below the file type and size information, i.e. in the format "dd:hh:mm left"
c) when reading the book in the bottom, but not permanent while reading, only when user is tipping top or bottom to reach other selection. I would place it at bottom right beside "xx% read", i.e. in the format "dd:hh:mm left".

7. I am badly missing a "mark unread" functionality
Sometime I erraneously click onto a book title and then it stays in the status 1% read. Thats not good.

8. If you should read multiple books for some reason I would like to have on the desktop a meta folder for books being read. This could be the case if you use Kobo to read technical books for work and in parallel things for leasure. Also useful if several persons share the Glo.

Advice to programmers:

Do not change the good things :-) cross check whether your change is bad for ergonomics or ask the community. If possible instead of introducing "hard changes", make things configurable.

You make more friends with users if you let them a choice, as many things are matter of taste and habits. Potentially you kill a feature which was important for a user to favor the Glo over another reader.

Many thanks
Bits

Last edited by bits; 08-21-2013 at 07:29 AM.
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #769
lsmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
Advice to programmers:

Do not change the good things :-) cross check whether your change is bad for ergonomics or ask the community. If possible instead of introducing "hard changes", make things configurable.

You make more friends with users if you let them a choice, as many things are matter of taste and habits. Potentially you kill a feature which was important for a user to favor the Glo over another reader.
Thank you - you are writing my thoughts.

I have an additional point:

Don't make a device worse then it could be.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #770
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donads View Post
The option for having your last read book's cover shown in full screen as your screensaver when sleeping/powered off is great, though I REALLY would love being able to disable that ugly box which shows the Sleeping/Powered off state, % read and estimated time left.

It ruins the cover and I think it'd look much better turned off.

As I've found nothing regarding this, I really look forward to seeing it implemented soon.

Thank you,
Yan.
I completely agree about the ugly box. I wish that info was back on the bottom of the screen where it belongs and not in the middle of the book cover.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #771
adaminc
adaminc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I didn't go through all the others, so these might have already been requested. I have an Aura HD.

So, if I choose a book from a shelf, when I press to bring up the menu, I would like to see a back button beside the home button so I can go back to the shelf I was at when I opened that book, or back to the books library if I chose from the books library and not a shelf.

Instead of having to go Press for Menu > Home > Library > Shelves > Choose specific Shelf again > Choose book

I'd rather go Press for Menu > Back > Choose book. Possibly cutting out 3 steps with 1 simple button function.

I would also like more control over the tiles on the Home screen. If I long-press in a blank area, I would like a "clear all tiles" option. I would also like to see an "add tile" option, and then a listing of what kinds of tiles to add, like say adding a specific Shelf, adding a specific Book, adding whatever tiles are possible. It would also be nice to be able to lock specific tiles so they can't be removed unless they are first unlocked.

I don't care about the "Reading Life" thing at the bottom of the home screen, so I'd like to be able to remove it.

I would also like to be able to see more than 6 books per listing, maybe 8 or 10 would be nice.

That's all I can think of right now.
adaminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #772
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
My 2 cents:

The bottom menu (contents, font size, tools) should be completely merged into the bottom status bar...

The bottom status bar should also show clock and maybe battery status.

Tap on page / total number of pages indicator should open a goto location menu: table of contents, goto page, bookmarks.

And there should be a history button popping up a list of previous pages - including other books, making it easier to jump around and read books side-by-side.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #773
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
Lightbulb A stop reading alarm

Something that I'd find really useful is a method to set a time limit to my reading session.

I tend to read at lunch time in the park near my office and can get very engrossed. To counter this I set my phone to chime after 50 minutes so that I can get back to my desk within the hour. It'd be great if I could do this on my Kobo by perhaps having it pop-up a user defined reminder after a similarly user-defined interval and/or at a specific time.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but the time at the top always seems to be correct when I press the centre of the screen, and the reading stats are aware of the time taken to progress through a book.

chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #774
salinda
salinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watchsalinda is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo glo, bebook club s
go to page, yes, would be nice
and shelves in a shelve, so, if i make a bookshelve, named fantasy, there i can make a new shelf for series, and so on. i find it difficult to use calibre, because i am dutch, i don't always understand the tutorials.
for the rest i can only say, this koboreader is the best that ever happened to me.
salinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #775
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Next to the home button, add a books button (takes you to books in your library).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #776
lsmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
The bottom status bar should also show clock and maybe battery status.
Very good idea!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #777
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
The dictionary feature could be significantly better. I don't see why there isn't a way to access the dictionary without going through opening a kepub or an epub. Frankly, a standalone dictionary in an ereader seems like an infinitely better suited "Extra" for the device than Sudoku. Furthermore, the Kobo devices should maintain a log of the words that one has looked up. These are the kinds of bush league firmware omissions that really turn me off Kobo. And, of course,
widows, orphans
widows, orphans
widows, orphans
widows, orphans
widows, orphans.
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #778
pakoe
pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo mini
Screen is fully refreshed all the time in situations other than page turning

Starting with Version 2.6.1, the screen is fully refreshed much more often in situations other than page turning. For example tapping the screen just to remove header and footer bars always fully refreshes the screen TWICE! I hope this will be undone in a future version. I am using the dictionaries heavily and this makes my Kobo mini blink and flash all the time, although I have set "PAGE REFRESH" rate to "6 pages" in the "Reading settings". Highlighting a word (I mean adding a marker "annotation" without text) takes FIVE full screen refreshes, looking up a word in the dictionary (just one tap on the screen!) produces two or three full screen refreshes, and so on. (Moving around a PDF page in zoom mode is a flashing nightmare, but better forget about PDF on a Kobo reader anyway.) I think this reduces battery life immensely and hardly can believe that this survived another firmware release cycle.
It shouldn't be very difficult to use the full page refresh counter in these cases, too.

Last edited by pakoe; 12-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.
pakoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #779
bits
bits began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Something that I'd find really useful is a method to set a time limit to my reading session.

I tend to read at lunch time in the park near my office and can get very engrossed. To counter this I set my phone to chime after 50 minutes so that I can get back to my desk within the hour. It'd be great if I could do this on my Kobo by perhaps having it pop-up a user defined reminder after a similarly user-defined interval and/or at a specific time.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but the time at the top always seems to be correct when I press the centre of the screen, and the reading stats are aware of the time taken to progress through a book.

As nice as things like this are. The reader has surely limitations in regards to CPU and DRAM, as its primarily designed to be an eBook reader. The Kobo Glo is already a bit laggy responding to your fingertips and not always recognizing actions reliably. Kindle was much better.

So my suggestion is to priotize things and concentrate on the real required stuff for a reader. If then a little performance is left we might think about other stuff.

Do you know Acronis True Image for PC Backup/Disk Images ? Then you know what I mean. A wonderful product until they started to pump it up with functionality which is not expected/required so that at the end the total quality of the product went nada nada ... I wouldn't like this for the Kobo.

Last edited by bits; 08-30-2013 at 06:14 AM.
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #780
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
As nice as things like this are. The reader has surely limitations in regards to CPU and DRAM, as its primarily designed to be an eBook reader. The Kobo Glo is already a bit laggy responding to your fingertips and not always recognizing actions reliably. Kindle was much better.

So my suggestion is to priotize things and concentrate on the real required stuff for a reader. If then a little performance is left we might think about other stuff.

Do you know Acronis True Image for PC Backup/Disk Images ? Then you know what I mean. A wonderful product until they started to pump it up with functionality which is not expected/required so that at the end the total quality of the product went nada nada ... I wouldn't like this for the Kobo.
I agree for the most part especially as Kobo has so many problems in basic functionality.
What Chromedome suggested should be very easy to incorporate and take up very little additional time. A time could be entered and checked in the routine for processing input such as the light switch or touch screen. Only significant time used would be the occurrence of the pop up when the time is reached.

But certainly they should get the touch screen input working perfectly first.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo