Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #17371
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Midway through Miles Cameron's The Red Knight. Lots of fighting and magic, hints of the beginning of gunpowder, many characters and venues (needs a map). I will be looking forward to the sequel The Fell Sword release Jan 28 2014.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #17372
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #17373
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished "March to the Stars". Great series by Weber and Ringo but I am taking a break before "We Few" since the end of book made me sad.

During my break, I will be reading "2312" by Kim Stanley Robinson. I love his hard sci-fi stuff but was a little disappointed with Galileo's Dream. His forthcoming book, "Shaman" takes place in the Ice Age......might be interesting.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #17374
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm re-reading The Dresden Files series for the 4th time. Great series for anyone that loves Urban Fantasy. Some say the first couple of books were a bit slow but I've enjoyed every one of them over and over.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #17375
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished reading Roddy Doyle's new Barrytown novel The Guts. I am more impressed than ever by his use of dialogue. I am even more amazed that someone can write a book about cancer and aging without producing great depression in the reader. Fair play to yeh, Roddy Doyle.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #17376
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Just started reading Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Have been awaiting this book for a good while.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #17377
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe2 View Post
I'm re-reading The Dresden Files series for the 4th time. Great series for anyone that loves Urban Fantasy. Some say the first couple of books were a bit slow but I've enjoyed every one of them over and over.
Me too, though I haven't been posting about it here this time around, as it seemed somehow to be redundant to do so. Instead I've posted my progress in 'The Dresden Files' thread. I think this is also my fourth time reading the series, but I'm unsure of that as I seem to have lost track of the count. Of course each re-read I do gets just a bit longer as each new book in the series gets published. I'm one quarter of the way through the 7th book, so I'm almost halfway finished with this re-read! Then in December the fifteenth book gets published

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 AM   #17378
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm back to the Mary Russell series - nearly halfway done with Justice Hall, the sixth book, now, and again enjoying it quite a lot.

I find myself almost reluctant to take a break from this series after this one, but I know myself and I don't want to overdose on something I'm enjoying this much, as that might risk enjoying the later books in the series.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #17379
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Partners In Crime" by Agatha Christie. This was her 11th book, and was originally published in 1929.

Although this book has an overall "plot", it's essentially a short story collection featuring "Tommy and Tuppence", who first appeared in Christie's 2nd novel, "The Secret Adversary". In this book they are running a detective agency, and each chapter (or sometimes 2 or 3 chapters) describes one of the cases they tackle.

The interesting twist in the book is that they are themselves big fans of detective fiction, and in each case they try to adopt the methods and quirks of a famous (famous at the time, that is - most of them are now long-forgotten to most modern readers) fictional detective. Thus in the first story they adopt the methods of R. Auston Freeman's forensic investigator Dr Thorndyke; in a later one they try to solve the crime in the manner of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown, and so on. Amusingly, in the final story they adopt the methods of Christie's own Hercule Poirot, and poke fun at Poirot, and specifically at Christie's book of the previous year, "The Big Four" .

A fun book. Well worth reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #17380
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The interesting twist in the book is that they are themselves big fans of detective fiction, and in each case they try to adopt the methods and quirks of a famous (famous at the time, that is - most of them are now long-forgotten to most modern readers) fictional detective. Thus in the first story they adopt the methods of R. Auston Freeman's forensic investigator Dr Thorndyke; in a later one they try to solve the crime in the manner of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown, and so on. Amusingly, in the final story they adopt the methods of Christie's own Hercule Poirot, and poke fun at Poirot, and specifically at Christie's book of the previous year, "The Big Four" .
A book with a similar theme that I can recommend is The Poisoned Chocolates Case by Anthony Berkeley.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #17381
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Partners In Crime" by Agatha Christie. This was her 11th book, and was originally published in 1929.

Although this book has an overall "plot", it's essentially a short story collection featuring "Tommy and Tuppence", who first appeared in Christie's 2nd novel, "The Secret Adversary".
I like the way Tommy and Tuppence aren't unaging. We see them moving through their lives, unlike, say, Miss Marple and Poirot, who remain almost unchanged from book to book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #17382
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading the second of Allan Mallinson's Mathew Hervey series The Nizam's Daughters. I started with the first in the series, A Close Run Thing: A Novel of Wellington's Army of 1815, and liked it so much that I went on to the second. If you like Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey–Maturin series you will like this one. Instead of the British Navy it is the British Calvary. His attention to detail and his descriptions are wonderful. If you dislike the Aubrey–Maturin series you might want to pass. If you like Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series you would also like this one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Close-Run-Th...lose+Run+Thing
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #17383
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
A Clash of Kings is over and before starting A Feast for Crows I'm reading Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I really like it.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #17384
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I like the way Tommy and Tuppence aren't unaging. We see them moving through their lives, unlike, say, Miss Marple and Poirot, who remain almost unchanged from book to book.
Especially when we consider that Poirot retired from the Belgian police force at the start of WWI. If he was 60 then, he would have been 62 when we first met him in 1916 during "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", 93 when he announced his retirement from active work in 1947 after "The Twelve Labours of Hercules", and 121 by the time of his final case, "Curtain" .

Last edited by HarryT; 08-13-2013 at 09:34 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #17385
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
T&T were practically kids in their first appearance; there was plenty of room for them to grow. Miss Marple was already elderly and if memory serves me correctly, Poirot was already retired in his first appearance. There wasn't a lot of room for them to age and still continue their habit of breathing.

Damned iPad autocorrect wants to change Marple to Marilee.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote