Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #61
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Both my orthopedist, who owns a Kindle, and her PA, who owns a silver Sony, were admiring my RED 505 while I was at the doctor's office.

Most people just ask 'is that a Kindle?'

Too bad Amazon's marketing is so much more penetrating than Sony's. I might have to answer some different questions.

I think I'll tell my orthopedist about decalgirl. She was bemoaning the fact that the Kindle is ugly. Might help to dress it up a bit.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #62
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
As to Ereader vs paper

A no more paper cuts
B no time wasted turning pages, a flick of a finger and I'm on the new page.
C no cramped hands holding pages open on a new book
D no dust, mildew or mold
E no pages stuck together, or miscut at the publishers.
F No stains, glops, chocolate smears, or otherwise illegible words.
G no missing pages
H no covers falling apart, pages slipping out.
I no getting up to go search for a new book when I finish one.
j no lugging a backpack around if I am going to be gone for a few days.
my E-reader has an estimated years supply of reading, all near instantly accessable.

Just read as fast as my eyes can read and my finger can caress the page turn button.
Its bloody awesome! I enjoy reading much more than I used to, not less.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #63
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
As to Ereader vs paper

A no more paper cuts
G no missing pages
my E-reader has an estimated years supply of reading, all near instantly accessable.

Just read as fast as my eyes can read and my finger can caress the page turn button.
So basically to get the maximal pleasure from an ebook reader, you need to be inept with paper books, physically disabled, and passive.

I do agree with some of the points though! Perfect-bound paperbacks will fall apart too quickly, and bad storage can lead to some nastiness on the mold front.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #64
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Is that a Kindle?
"No its better than a Kindle"
You like the Jetbook better than the Kindle?
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #65
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I frequently read on my device(s) in public. Like many have said, I get "Is that a Kindle?" a lot.

I also get, "Is that one of those...you know..." *hands waving about excitedly*

Me: "Ebook reader?"

They: "YES! One of those!"

Once someone asked me if it was an electronic Bible. I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps they see people at church with the Bible on ebook readers? Or perhaps PDAs.

I am usually happy to tell curious onlookers about my devices and answer questions. I rarely get negative feedback. Either they keep it to themselves or they were interested anyway if they asked a total stranger about it. And I tell everyone to visit mobileread.com (among other sites).
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #66
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
As to Ereader vs paper

A no more paper cuts
G no missing pages

I second your list. If I may add:

K - For someone who moves frequently, no more hiring trucks only to move my books around. No more paying for storage (I have done this, couldn't part with my collection - ended up donating it to the local library in the end). No more paying excess luggage fees just because I need to have 10 books with me.

It's just easier, really.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I frequently read on my device(s) in public. Like many have said, I get "Is that a Kindle?" a lot.

I also get, "Is that one of those...you know..." *hands waving about excitedly*

Me: "Ebook reader?"

They: "YES! One of those!"
Yeah that too.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #68
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I've never got a paper cut from a book... had no idea it's even possible.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #69
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Gatton yes for me the Jetbook is a better fit.
But then I don't read Mystery/Thrillers/top 10 current favorites.
Those can be harder to find for the Jetbook.

Your paying to read those books, which is fine if you can afford it.
I go through 3 - 5 books per week, and I'm on an extremely tight budget.
So I simply can not afford to go with Kindle , so for me the Jetbook works better.
I don't need the wireless, the online store, etc.

To me it comes down to where do you want to get your books.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #70
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!

Well I am physically disabled, so yes my views reflect that.
Passive, no, not at all. Inept, well I'll just let that one lie there on the floor and quiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
So basically to get the maximal pleasure from an ebook reader, you need to be inept with paper books, physically disabled, and passive.

I do agree with some of the points though! Perfect-bound paperbacks will fall apart too quickly, and bad storage can lead to some nastiness on the mold front.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #71
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've got a 1 inch scar on my left hand where it meets the wrist that proves it is possible and is even a permanent reminder of it. Got the paper cut at the local library when I was 5 flipping through a big pirate book that had glossy pages. I still remember what that felt like, and that was 31 years ago.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #72
Bob T
Enthusiast
Bob T began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
I've got a 1 inch scar on my left hand where it meets the wrist that proves it is possible and is even a permanent reminder of it. Got the paper cut at the local library when I was 5 flipping through a big pirate book that had glossy pages. I still remember what that felt like, and that was 31 years ago.
Ouch....that made me cringe this reading that....

Bob
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #73
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Oh yes! It is very possible. You are very, very lucky or blessed with very thick skin (literally!).

In college I majored in English and therefore spent quite a bit of time in the library. It did not take long for me to start carrying disinfectant, ointment, and band-aids with me all the time. Especially if I cut myself on a book in the old stacks in the morning by the time I made it home at the end of the day it would be infected, red, swollen, and quite miserable. The newer books were not so bad for infected cuts, but those old thick pages were the bad. New books were mostly sharp & thin cuts. I do not have as many book caused papercuts these days, but trying to eat lunch, hold a playing baby, have 2 cats trying for lap space & attention, and read a few pages all the same time is not exactly graceful and when the book falls it can slice you on the way down. If my big 17 lbs cat decides the hand holding the book needs to be petting him, the book is going flying when he starts pushing with his huge head.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #74
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Once someone asked me if it was an electronic Bible. I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps they see people at church with the Bible on ebook readers? Or perhaps PDAs.
There was, IIRC, a device that came pre-loaded with the Bible. This was pre-ebook and (again, IIRC) it was similar to the electronic spellers & thesaurus's (thesauri?) that were available around that same time. Basically, you didn't read the Bible on it-you used it to look up quotes.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #75
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I second your list. If I may add:

K - For someone who moves frequently, no more hiring trucks only to move my books around. No more paying for storage (I have done this, couldn't part with my collection - ended up donating it to the local library in the end). No more paying excess luggage fees just because I need to have 10 books with me.

It's just easier, really.
I'd like to add no more paying hundreds and even thousands of dollars for public domain books! English lit (or any sort of lit) students on a tight budget probably appreciate this the most.

also: no more expensive shipping fees for people who live in places where the books they want aren't as readily available.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote