Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Baen's 1635: The Eastern Front CD is now available

I have made the book promotional CD for Baen's new release of Eric Flint's 1632 Series novel available on my site.

You can find it at The Eastern Front CD.

It's free. It's legal.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Woo Hoo.. Thanks..

Any word on the release of Cyroburn?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Woo Hoo.. Thanks..

Any word on the release of Cyroburn?
Just like this CD, I am waiting for the book to start appearing in bookstores and in people's hands, so it will probably be a few weeks.

Even when I get the CD significantly in advance of the book's release, I don't want to give Toni over at Baen any headaches, so unless she gives me a go-ahead, I usually sit on the CDs.

I have Cryoburn ready to go, just waiting for the book to ship.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I have Cryoburn ready to go, just waiting for the book to ship.
Thanks for all your work.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the head's up. I love the 1632 books, and this looks like a great collection of all kinds of stuff, some of which I bought some time back.

Last edited by carld; 10-03-2010 at 11:07 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Thanks for the heads up and the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post

I have made the book promotional CD for Baen's new release of Eric Flint's 1632 Series novel available on my site.

You can find it at The Eastern Front CD.

It's free. It's legal.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
I really love the way Baen promotes the books and their authors! This is why I have a shelf full of dead-tree editions of theirs at my place and couple of Webscriptions...

Why don't other publishers follow good examples?
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I wonder if they are going to keep these promotions.

One of their ideas is that if people like what they are reading, they will prefer to buy a paper copy instead of reading on screen.

But as ereaders become more and more common, I wonder if that will still be the case.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
As always, you're freaking awesome. Thanks for making the CD available to us.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

One of their ideas is that if people like what they are reading, they will prefer to buy a paper copy instead of reading on screen.

But as ereaders become more and more common, I wonder if that will still be the case.
I can only tell you that Baen has made money from me on ebooks because of the availability of the CDs
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post

Well, they added a "Donation" button to their free library because enough people *asked* for a way to pay for Free Ebooks they liked. (Kinda validates the idea that *in their market* if you treat people fairly, they'll treat you fairly in return.)

And free samples of ebooks don't have to result just in increased sales of pbooks; nothing prevents customers from buying the ebook edition.

Baen's key insight so far is that they sell "stories", not files. (They have other tricks in their arsenal but that one is the key to their success.) Everything else flows from that idea; that a sale is a sale regardless of whether its print or digital.

Whether they can prosper indefinitely with those practices depends on the customers' behavior and Baen knows better than anybody how their customers behave since they have the sales and download numbers. So far they haven't found reason to modify their practices so they're probably happy with the bottom line.

Basically, they're working on the Honor system.
(In more ways than one.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Actually, I think in long running series like the 1632 universe, CD's like this can help bring new readers into the series -- even if it means they won't buy earlier books in the series. I can't tell you the number of times I didn't buy a book in a book store because I realized it was in the middle of the series and the previous books were not available at the book store. Even if they were, it can be a bit discouraging to find out that there are 5-6 books to buy. This way, new readers can catch on the series and then start spending money on the newer books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for sharing the CD. And thank you Baen!

I found Flint's Worlds collection on the CD too. It's not linked from the start page. It seems to be missing an epub version.

Also, I get a file not found for the ebook links on The Trouble With Humans in the online version. It works w/ the CD.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Hi Dahak! Long time listener, first time caller. Thanks for all the effort you put into sourcing and hosting the CDs.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by atidball View Post
Thanks for sharing the CD. And thank you Baen!

I found Flint's Worlds collection on the CD too. It's not linked from the start page. It seems to be missing an epub version.

Also, I get a file not found for the ebook links on The Trouble With Humans in the online version. It works w/ the CD.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm willing to bet it's simply a typo in the link. They must master the CDs on a Windows box or some system with a file system that isn't case-sensitive. If they have a capitalization change, it breaks under the version of Linux my server uses.

I'll check those links on the server tonight.

-Joe