Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
drtom
drtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Any monitors with E Ink Vizplex technology?

I would like to hook an external monitor with E Ink Vizplex technology to my laptop. but I really don't need a ebook reader.

Any ideas?
drtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
If there were such a monitor, and I don't believe there is, it would surely cost more than an ereader.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The nearest to what you want is the EnTourage eDGe, which has a LCD and an EInk screen. However, I don't think you can easily set it up as external monitors.

If you have a netbook, see Pixel Qi netbook display replacement kit on sale. This isn't EInk, but it does have a reflective mode.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
If you're serious, you'd better have some serious cash. Vizplex charges $4000 for a 9.7 inch test bed with a display controller for development purposes, and you can hack it up from there. No one makes a dedicated computer monitor based on e-Ink; this display tech only works with text and static images, as the refresh rate is orders of magnitude too slow to display motion or even to work well with fast typing, and then there's the whole color issue.

Until this kind of technology is able to refresh in the 20 to 30 frame-per-second range at an absolute minimum AND can produce millions of colors AND can be produced in quantities that can make its unit cost rival LCD, you will not see e-Ink in a computer monitor anywhere except for very small niche markets, mostly for testbed, development purposes where the panel is ultimately targeted for a specific device such as a reader or a photo frame, and as you can see from Vizplex's price quoted above, such testbeds tend to be quite expensive.

If you're looking for something that will allow sunlight readability for your laptop, you may want to consider PixelQi's offering. It is a total screen replacement for your computer display that is a LCD panel with sunlight-readability characteristics.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
drtom

thanks for so many nice responses. The reason why I am proposing this idea is I really need a external e-ink monitor for my laptop or desktop computer. I am typing a lot and reading all kinds of documents on the LCD all the time. An e-ink monitor would definitely relieve my eyes from the stresses caused by LCD.
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom View Post
thanks for so many nice responses. The reason why I am proposing this idea is I really need a external e-ink monitor for my laptop or desktop computer. I am typing a lot and reading all kinds of documents on the LCD all the time. An e-ink monitor would definitely relieve my eyes from the stresses caused by LCD.
No it wouldn't.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom View Post
Have you looked into polarized screen filters? A whole lot cheaper.
Or computer glasses?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...65_1440&fsc=-1

Even cheaper is to tweak your screen display contrast and brightness, set text display for, say, light blue text on dark blue background or amber on black.

If you are particularly sensitive there are several options that might do the job and cost way less thann a new monitor of any kind.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
drtom

hi, fjtorres. thanks for the nice information. But do they really work? for the gunnar glasses, as you know, I am near sighted, do they have clip-on gunnar glasses?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No it wouldn't.
Nice try. The correct answer is yes it would, but it's not the only way.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
For a lot of the work I do, an eInk display would be cool. Have it as a secondary display, to display status info, or for use with a terminal.

Many people would like something of this sort, but it would still be a niche product.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An eInk monitor would be just ghastly for things like word processing, due to the slow update speed, and I notice the original poster says that he does a lot of typing. It really wouldn't work, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Eink does allow for partial screen updating, which would make things somewhat better, but for serious word processing, Pixel Qi would be a better alternative.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An eInk monitor would be just ghastly for things like word processing, due to the slow update speed, and I notice the original poster says that he does a lot of typing. It really wouldn't work, I'm afraid.
Exactly. eInk was designed to display a static document with infrequent changes (turning pages). Completely different goal than a computer monitor.

If they want to put a static document on the "eInk monitor" and don't expect to be doing typing/changing on it, just reading, then it would theoretically not be a bad idea. They don't exist though, as others have already mentioned.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Nice try. The correct answer is yes it would, but it's not the only way.
No, it wouldn't. If anything, a low-contrast EPD in insufficient light could worsen whatever problems the poster attributes to LCDs.

Of course, if he's squinting to read LCDs in bright direct light with lots of glare, then a reflective screen will be a good change. Somehow though, I doubt that's the case.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No, it wouldn't. If anything, a low-contrast EPD in insufficient light could worsen whatever problems the poster attributes to LCDs.
That's one specific example where it wouldn't. That doesn't mean "no it wouldn't" for all cases.

Quote:
Of course, if he's squinting to read LCDs in bright direct light with lots of glare, then a reflective screen will be a good change.
Ah, so you admit there are cases where it would.

How about if (like many people) the actual problem is that the backlight on the LCD is too high, which is causing the strain. Will an eInk screen make that better... yep. Will turning down the backlight (if they can) make it better... yep.

There are probably multiple solutions to their problem. One of them could be eInk, it depends on exactly what is the cause of their eye strain. Dismissing it outright just shows an anti-eInk bias.