Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2356
tedwinters
tedwinters began at the beginning.

Device: none
It really needs to be made clearer that to jailbreak version 3.3, you need to use the file corresponding to your kindle model suffixed by -3.2.1........
I didn't have time to read all 157 pages of this thread, somehow missed the ">=" 3.2.1 in the first post, and ended up googling a bunch of different forums for far too long, finding a bunch of different people having the identical issue - Trying to jailbreak 3.3 with the non 3.2.1 jailbreak...
Some people were reverting back to 0.5N to get it to work...

You need a big "Hey Idiots, if you have version 3.3, use this firmware update"
Would have saved me an hour
tedwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #2357
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's already red, and in bold, at the top of the JB installation instructions...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #2358
tedwinters
tedwinters began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's already red, and in bold, at the top of the JB installation instructions...
Sure is, red and bold - but like me, a lot of people will be skimming through the information looking for relevant information, see "3.2.1", and automatically disregard it as it's not for 3.3....
I know that's what I did... Didn't even see the ">=". Just saw "Note for Kindle 3.2.1 users"
Found a few people in this thread that you actually helped out by pointing them to use 3.3...

Eitherway, love your work... Just thought the instructions might benefit from a little added clarity for those of us with comprehension fails.
tedwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #2359
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There are been a lot of posts over time where people did not notice that they need to use -3.2.1 for their 3.3 kindle.

Perhaps "3.2.1 and newer" needs to be added (or a NOTE at the top and bottom of the README file and the download web page)?

I even had trouble with this when I got my first kindle, but I figured it out rather quickly.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #2360
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Kay, I'll try to make this clearer here (and on the wiki, where it's even murkier, AFAIR) .

EDIT: Done.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #2361
Nushio
Nushio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Anyone tried this with the 4.1.0 KIndle 4 NT update? I'm afraid of updating my kindle because I don't want to lose the screensavers :P
Nushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #2362
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Nushio: Good thing you're in the wrong place, then . (Hint: this only supports K2/K3 devices ).

On a side note, from the cursory look I took at 4.1.0, I don't *think* (don't trust/quote me on that) that it would break a screensaver hack. But then again, I don't actually *have* a K4, so YMMV ^^.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #2363
Nushio
Nushio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Nushio: Good thing you're in the wrong place, then . (Hint: this only supports K2/K3 devices ).

On a side note, from the cursory look I took at 4.1.0, I don't *think* (don't trust/quote me on that) that it would break a screensaver hack. But then again, I don't actually *have* a K4, so YMMV ^^.
Whoops! I'm terribly sorry, but you're right, I'm in the wrong thread :P
Nushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #2364
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Since all the 4.1.0 update + ss stories are making me sad, here we go:

BIG FAT WARNING: I don't have a K4, so this was dry-coded, and, more importantly, *UNTESTED*. It might very well not work, or worse, break something. Make sure you're ready/able to play with the diagnostics mode/debricking.

You'll need a jailbroken K4, of course, and it'll need to be clear of any previous SS/Fonts hack, and as always, not a KSO device. And freshly rebooted, to avoid weird issues.

The screensavers hack is probably way safer than the Fonts hack, which I anyway strongly recommend you *NOT* use, because I have no idea how it will interact with the KF8 stuff/the browser, and it's way more intrusive than the ScreenSavers hack, so, yeah....

On the bright side, I remember seaniko7 packaging these for the K4 a while ago, so there's hope that it actually does work .

If it is deemed safe enough, this'll eventually move to the first post with the rest, but in the meantime, consider it alpha untested crap. .

EDIT: The ScreenSavers hack has been moved to the front page (with proper K4/K5 binaries). The Fonts hack package here has also been updated to use proper K4/K5 binaries.

EDIT²: The Fonts hack is now out of beta, too. Moved to the front page.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #2365
msubbu
msubbu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
is there a jailbreak for kindle 1st gen?
msubbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #2366
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@msubbu: If by 1st gen you do mean the K1, with the ugly design and LCD ruler, then, uh, no, there isn't, because it doesn't need one. The update system doesn't expect/requires signed packages/files. (That may have changed in v1.2, but I'm not sure, the first device I had was a K2i, so I have no real experience with the K1).
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #2367
msubbu
msubbu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
@NiLuJe - yes. except i think ugly = quirky picked it up for $20 on craiglist in perfect working order.

if i sound like a novice, its because i am - if the update system doesnt expect signed packages - does this mean i can ssh into the system and run scripts like any other linux box? i am trying to install some useful apps on it, like an email client, or even upgrade to full ubuntu for ARM.
msubbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #2368
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@msubbu: if you manage to get an SSH server on there, then yes. Barring that, the serial console is your friend.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #2369
Huckfu
Huckfu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
3.2.1 Screensaver hack not working on version 3.3

The notes in the thread for loading the jailbreak were crystal clear, including using the 3.2.1 bin file, and both the jailbreak and screensaver updates loaded perfectly, no issues encountered. I added some pics (a few of the original kindle writers) as a test in the linkss screensavers folder and after the restart, the ads still show up. Any thoughts?
Huckfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #2370
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckfu View Post
... I added some pics (a few of the original kindle writers) as a test in the linkss screensavers folder and after the restart, the ads still show up. Any thoughts?
Perhaps because the screensaver hack is not an ad-remover hack?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet