Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #46
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
If the schools you went to didn't require grammar and correct spelling I can see why you have this opinion. The ones I went to did.
But you obviously didn't learn to read... I said "no longer" not "I didn't" so you either read what you want to see (or expect to see) or have trouble reading in general... hey, those are the things that affect editing and proofing, not so easy after all...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #47
Omega Supreme
Omega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iPhone, Nook STR, MyTouch 4G
I'll join in the fracas. I just edited my brother's first ebook, and not that long ago edited my own. When I publish my next ebook, I'd greatly prefer to find someone who is willing to edit it. Editing is far more than just proofing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and is far more tedious than writing.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #48
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
4th grade grammar and correct spelling aren't what editors are for.
Yes, but the comment that I replied to was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you write it then you don't do more than rough proof it with spellchecks and read through but the result will not be good because, as the author, you know what is supposed to be there and your mind will gloss of over errors and see what you expect to see... proofreading is a skilled occupation and not a casual "well, I can read so I'll proof this" past time... this is self evident in the ever growing number of appallingly proofed books appearing from everybody ranging through big pubs to indies and one-offs.
Everybody makes a big deal out of the fact that authors can't see their own spelling mistakes.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #49
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
But you obviously didn't learn to read... I said "no longer" not "I didn't" so you either read what you want to see (or expect to see) or have trouble reading in general... hey, those are the things that affect editing and proofing, not so easy after all...
And I said "if". Any author that you would be talking about wouldn't have just finished the 4th grade, so at least at one point in their past they were expected to be able to spell. When did they lose this ability?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #50
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm not very good with titles. SO I'll omit them here. As I recall it John Grisham's first bestseller was his second or third book. That is the one I read first. The same goes for Dan Brown. Because I enjoyed them I looked for other works, I didn't know that I was getting older books.
Once reading them it was immediately obvious that these books had not gone through the same scrutinizing editors as their respective bestsellers. It wasn't spelling mistakes or grammatical oddities, it was that here were sections of "transportation" text meant to take you to the next scene that were contrived or tedious, that didn't forward the plot. Things like that a good, nah even a mediocre, editor will seize upon.
You can't expect the author, unless he/she is very experienced, to find those passages on their own.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #51
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
4th grade grammar and correct spelling aren't what editors are for.
Correct, in a nutshell. My husband and I often write articles and documents intended for various types of output/publication. We find it very helpful to read and criticise one another's work. Sometimes what gets picked up is simple, like wearisome repetition, but sometimes it's more structural, such as getting the points of an argument in the wrong order.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #52
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And I said "if". Any author that you would be talking about wouldn't have just finished the 4th grade, so at least at one point in their past they were expected to be able to spell. When did they lose this ability?
When they started typing rather than writing by hand? I'm always making typing errors that I would never make when writing.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
An interesting--and perhaps illuminating--article from the Guardian: The Lost Art of Editing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #54
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
When they started typing rather than writing by hand? I'm always making typing errors that I would never make when writing.
There should be a course for that.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #55
DMB
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
An interesting--and perhaps illuminating--article from the Guardian: The Lost Art of Editing.
That really was interesting. I was tickled to discover that Jane Austen, usually thought of as a peerless prose writer, had great need of editorial help. See this http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130838304

Of course, that hardly detracts from her ability to write very entertainingly -- here letters are testament to that -- but she wasn't as polished as everyone thought.

Last edited by DMB; 09-19-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #56
DMB
Old Git

Quote:
There should be a course for that.
I've been typing for decades. But I don't get better. I did once go on a touch-typing course.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
I'll join in the fracas. I just edited my brother's first ebook, and not that long ago edited my own. When I publish my next ebook, I'd greatly prefer to find someone who is willing to edit it. Editing is far more than just proofing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and is far more tedious than writing.
If you're a professional writer, you should be using a professional editor. Editing is a skilled profession - it's not something that anyone can just pick up and do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #58
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Maybe 90% of the US market. I doubt it's 90% globally.
Barnes and Noble claim to have 25% of the ebook US market. Amazon is more like 65%
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #59
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
My two cents:

I'm in the process of finishing up my first novel. I plan to do three rigorous edits on the book -- once, reading through on the computer screen and editing as I go. Twice, reading through on a paper print out with a highlighter and fixing after I finish the reading. Third time, reading out loud from a paper copy with a highlighter handy.

Then I'll be sending out to a few hand-selected beta readers, gods bless their souls. And I'll fix anything THEY find.

Tedious? Yes. Time-consuming? Yes. Cheaper than some of the professional editing quotes out there that are more often than not lacking in any references or guarantees? Yep. Worth it? I think so.

Will every single error be caught? Probably not. But I think 99.99% of them will be. I hope, anyway. We'll see.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #60
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm in the process of finishing up my first novel. I plan to do three rigorous edits on the book -- once, reading through on the computer screen and editing as I go. Twice, reading through on a paper print out with a highlighter and fixing after I finish the reading. Third time, reading out loud from a paper copy with a highlighter handy.
Have you considered adding text-to-speech to the list? The brain will compensate for some errors that we see written, but things might stand out more if a software program does the reading.