Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Is it possible to generate an inside cover?

Hi,

I know it's possible to generate different covers for a book in the Metadata.

What I want to know; is it possible to generate a cover for inside the book (first page)?

Let me explain further:

most of the e-books that I have bought or acquired, already come with a front cover. I know that you can change this if you like in the Metadata.

In many of the books, the front cover is also shown as the first page in the actual e-book viewer.

I had one book that was in PDF format and I changed it to epub format. It did not possess a proper front cover so I generated one from the web that shows up in the Metadata but does not show up as the first page in the e-book viewer.

Is there a way you can change the first page of the e-book viewer to show the front cover of the book as it is shown in the Metadata? Or is this not possible?

If it can be done, can somebody please tell me how to do it?

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Preferences » Conversion » Common Options » Structure Detection » Insert metadata as page at start of book
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Preferences » Conversion » Common Options » Structure Detection » Insert metadata as page at start of book
Wow! That was quick! I only literally posted just a second ago.

I will try your answer to the puzzle

HB
Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The "Insert Metadata as page at start of book" I have now checked. I assumed I also had to click "Apply" at the top left of the page to make it stick.

I checked the book in question and it had not made any difference. It did not show the book cover as the first page in the e-book viewer. Have I done anything wrong?

HB
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
The "Insert Metadata as page at start of book" I have now checked. I assumed I also had to click "Apply" at the top left of the page to make it stick.

I checked the book in question and it had not made any difference. It did not show the book cover as the first page in the e-book viewer. Have I done anything wrong?

HB
That only applies after conversion.

You might try the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154371 that allows updating metadata without converting (again).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That only applies after conversion.
Sorry, I misunderstand. What only applies after conversion?

The book in question I have is in PDF format and epub format.

Are you saying I need to put in a plugin from the link you gave me for it to work?

HB
Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Are you saying I need to put in a plugin from the link you gave me for it to work?

HB
I think calibre also stores individual conversion settings per book. If you've already converted it once, it's probably not using the new settings. On the conversion dialogue, clicking on the "Restore Defaults" button would probably do the trick.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

HB
Covers (metadata) only update if you convert (EPUB to EPUB).
Updating PDF, I don't know about. it is a terrible format that I stay away from and would never go TO.

The plugin side-loads the metadata without additional conversion (I have had other things happen when I did a same format conversion.It might be my fault, but the PI eliminates that chance )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
Heathside Boy
HB

That did the trick

A big to both of you and your help

I also agree, PDF is a horrible format but with some of the books I've acquired, that's the format they come in.

HB