Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Should I hold out for k4?

I just got a k3, but am now wondering if I should return it and wait it out for k4. Seems like they hit summer releases a lot. Thoughts?
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Enjoy and use your K3. If the K4 comes out this summer (unlikey, but possible), you can either ignore it, or buy it and sell your current K3. The K3 will continue to have a resale market for some time. When the K3 came out 6 weeks after I bought my K2i, I basically ignored it for several months, but then gifted the k2i to a friend's son, and bought the K3. The only reason I made the change was because I really wanted the lighted cover. Though I definitely appreciate the improved screen contrast.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'll bite. And if they don't release something this summer? How long will you wait and what will you do between now and WHENEVER? Of course, you can always wait - you've probably been without an ereader much of your short or long life so a bit longer probably does not matter. I like my k3 and it has increased my reading habits.

In other threads, I've seen where folks have sold their k2's to someone interested in the cheaper/used/older tech and purchased a newer unit so you could follow that route if the k4 appeals to you.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
For my usage I can't imagine any change that they could make to the K3 that would make a K4 a "must have" upgrade. The screen has reached a level of readability that is more than good enough, the page turns are fast enough (I don't even notice them anymore), the size/shape/weight are great, the battery life is phenomenal, etc... It's very rare that I feel that way about an electronic gadget, so that's saying a lot. It probably has to do with the fact that it's meant to (and designed to) disappear in your hands, to become something that you don't actively think about while you're using it.

I guess that's a long way around to say that I can't see any reason to wait.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, I would say that if you had waited this long, why not wait 4-5 more months and see if they announce one?

OTOH, since you didn't wait and bought a K3 and are now having remorse, well, I would say keep it. I mean, why should Amazon lose money taking back a return just because you are indecisive?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
K3 is a great device, I wouldn't waste time waiting for K4.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Rule of thumb: 6" K3: buy now; DX: wait.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
The only thing I would want improved upon in my K3 is collections management. That could be addressed in a firmware upgrade.

I can't imagine anything that would sway me to want a K4.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ya already got it. Keep it. It's a great reader!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post

I can't imagine anything that would sway me to want a K4.
Really? You don't think ereaders can get any better than the k3?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Please see my other post about the new micro processors and their effect on the electronic book market. The processors have become available to the general public, anyone can buy a chip, if you are into building PCs or book readers you might want to buy the processor. This means that the Kindle 4 should be around shortly and will feature better graphics resolution and better battery life then the 3. Do you have a smart phone already? That might be the way to get your feet wet without buying the 3 just yet. I would immagine that it won't be too long now before the 4 is made available.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Looks like the K3 wifi is going on sale with a few twists. Maybe an indication of a K4 announcement in the near future?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200671290

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Long and the short of it, I would keep your K3, I just got one myself, and not worry about the K4. First, Kindles seem to hold their price pretty well. K2s are selling for $100, sometimes more. Second, why wait based on the possibility of enjoying something when you could be enjoying it now. Third, if the K4 is released during the summer you will probably want to wait a bit any way so that the glitches can be worked out.

I decided to get a K3 because a smaller device is nice while traveling. I love my DXG in the house but it was a bit big on the plane. (shrugs). I kept a K1 up until the DXG was announced but I had been wanting a DX for a while. I was waiting for a price drop and the new screen and collections were wonderful bonuses. I have no idea what features they might add for a K4 but the K3 does what I need it to do and does it well.

I would be surprised if a new device was announced this summer. The K3 is still new on the market and there is no way of knowing how the earthquake in Japan could be effecting parts for the Kindle.

We know that car companies have seen a reduction in available parts for cars after the quake. I know friends in the film industry who have been talking about problem getting video tape and electronic parts for cameras after the quake. It stands to reason that there might be a similar problem for ereaders and other electronic devices.

Even if plants were not damaged by the quake of tsunami that followed there are problems with delivering electricty because of the reactor crisis.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i already ordered my k3 and should be getting it this thursday, but even if the k4 came out a few months after that, i'd still want to wait for possible glitches to get fixed and the initial price to possibly be reduced :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Return the K3 and get the KSO (Kindle with Special Offers) instead. It's only $114 and has ads on the screensavers and home page only.

I'm getting the KSO and giving my K3 to a family member. By the time I'm done buying some of the items being offered, it'll be free for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote