Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The 1978 edition of the World Book Encyclopedia. My parents bought it as a Christmas 1977 present . Each time a new volume came (once a month one letter at a time) I read it cover to cover. I have since read each one beginning to end at least 6 times. Even now every once in a while I will just pick one up and read it.

I still have the whole set including the "Science Year" and "Year Book" volumes for '79 and when ever my oldest has a question about something we break out the world book..
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
The 1978 edition of the World Book Encyclopedia. My parents bought it as a Christmas 1977 present . Each time a new volume came (once a month one letter at a time) I read it cover to cover. I have since read each one beginning to end at least 6 times. Even now every once in a while I will just pick one up and read it.

I still have the whole set including the "Science Year" and "Year Book" volumes for '79 and when ever my oldest has a question about something we break out the world book..
. . . . . . . . . *mumbles* overachiever . . . . . . . . .

John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hahahahahahaa
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Robert E. Howard's Conan series and also the Doc Savage series. Discovered them early in life and they made me the avid reader I am today!
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The Grapes Of Wrath Steinbeck of course.
Awakening The Buddha Within Lama Surya Das
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #21
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Plenty of books have changed my life, but there are two in particular. The first I won't mention, in case anyone reads it. The second - The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - gave me some perspective on what the first idiot had to say.

I can't say I'm an Ayn Rand fanatic, but I certainly appreciated hearing a different side of the story at an important time in my life.

Taken together, I've been left without political allegiance.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #22
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Mine was H. Rider Haggard's "She". My father read it to me when I was too small to read it myself - it started me on a love of books and reading.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
More than one book changed my life. However, the first book that made a major impression is probably 'Lord of the Rings'. I first read it when I was about 10 years old and it had a major impact on my reading and view of the world. I soon read the letters, which put his stories in a different setting with regards to his youth, WW1 and so on.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Godel Escher Bach
Zen... was my first thought too.

I'd also probably have to include the Thomas Covenent Chronicles and Lord of the Rings as they started me early down the reading path.

In more recent times, I'd say If This Is A Man and The Truce by Primo Levi.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #25
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Venus Boy, by Lee Sutton. It was the first SF I ever read (my parents tried to keep me from reading the stuff). I have been trying to buy a copy for a decade or more, but it was apparently only sold to a few libraries, and prices are obscene. As in "could buy three or four whole ebook readers" obscene.

Star Man's Son by Andre Norton. It was the first SF I ever owned (despite parental oversight; it came from the Scholastic Book Club) and it made all the difference in the world.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. The movie is nothing at all like the book, by the way. It will make you think. A lot of my beliefs about honor and duty came from that book.

Silverlock, by John Myers Myers. It changed my life not so much for itself, but by introducing me to a whole world of literature. I'm still following up allusions, decades later.

There are more, a lot more, mostly SF and fantasy. Andre Norton's books, especially the early ones. The Robert Heinlein juveniles. Tom Swift and a few other products of the Stratemeyer Syndicate. Horatio Alger. Hugh Walters. H. Beam Piper. There are more that I'm not thinking of right now (one word: Cataclysm) but they contributed, too. Every book I read adds a little, pro or con. I think that's what being a reader, instead of just someone who happens to read books, is all about.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #26
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
The Fountainhead.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
The Persian Boy
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #28
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose". Somehow stimulated a long dormant desire to relearn Latin, which lead to Ancient Greek, to ancient and medieval philosophy, to modern philosophy....
Funny how that happened!
(And for some personal philosophy - Seneca's letters)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
The Hobbit, A Tale of Two Cities, Sherlock Holmes

The Hobbit got me really interested in reading. I never realized how engrossing reading a book could be until that one.

A Tale of Two Cities made me appreciate all the things we take for granted today. Mostly, not being persecuted unfairly. (at least not to that degree, hehehe)

Sherlock Holmes has caused me to think things through and notice details that are telling in things.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #30
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I wouldn't say that there is any one book that changed my life. I think acquiring the love of reading at an early age is what had a great impact my life.

There are books that have opened my eyes to new ideas and challenged my perceptions of the status quo. Examples would be:

The Pity of War - Niall Ferguson - made me realize just what a colossal waste WW1 was

1919 - Margaret McMillan showed me how the seeds of WW2 and many of the other conflicts that occurred in the latter part of the 20th century were sown at the peace tables for WW1

Why we Act Like Canadians - Pierre Berton introduced me to an interesting perspective on why two countries that have peacefully shared a common border differ so greatly in some things. NB: I don't always agree with him but it was interesting.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote