Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #886
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've tried to convert epub to lrf using Calibre, with varying success. Could some nice techie please tell me how it's done properly. One problem I have with Calibre is font size; it often comes out too large or too small. I've never managed to get the settings correct.
Another reason I don't like epub is that I prefer justified margins. The right margin is always jagged on an epub.
Epubs can be justified under look and feel and IMO calibre does a pretty good job even compared to some that come already justified and many do.

Calibre does convert to lrf but stopped additional support when Sony did. The support is much better for epub.

Some people like lrf and I did too at first, but when I saw support becoming minimal I bit the bullet and switched.

If you were to post in the calibre conversions forum with a MR book you have problems with, probably I or someone else could get your font/justification problems ironed out.

Not saying you should abandon lrf, but it doesn't hurt to be comfortable with the alternatives.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #887
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Epubs can be justified under look and feel
Not on the PRS-505. It has a VERY early and primitive version of Adobe's ePub software on it, which doesn't support full justification for ePubs.

The real answer is to move with the times and get a more modern reader. The PRS-505 was a good reader in its day, but that day was long, long ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #888
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not on the PRS-505. It has a VERY early and primitive version of Adobe's ePub software on it, which doesn't support full justification for ePubs.

The real answer is to move with the times and get a more modern reader. The PRS-505 was a good reader in its day, but that day was long, long ago.
A good alternative to getting a new reader is to install the eBookApplications firmware on the PRS-505. This does include full justification for ePubs, plus fast and easy control of fonts and margins.

In fact, the 505 is currently my preferred reader with this firmware on it, due to the PDF reader being far and away the best I've come across for reading scanned PDFs.
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #889
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Never had a 505 so don't know. But it seems a tad odd that if a book has been converted in calibre with the justification on that the early adobe engine would have been sophisticated enough to change it. Not arguing mind you as I am sure you are correct and have tested it yourself.

My Kobo devices refuse to change justification if it has been set in the calibre conversion. PITA

Helen
Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #890
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't change anything, Helen; it simply doesn't support full justification. I did indeed own a 505 at one time (and a 500 before that).
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #891
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It doesn't change anything, Helen; it simply doesn't support full justification. I did indeed own a 505 at one time (and a 500 before that).
As Harry says it is not a case of the 505 changing the justification applied by Calibre. Justification does not change the document. The document is not changed by any of the CSS functions. It is the display of the document that is changed. If the reading device is not able to support the justification feature then it doesn't matter what the document asks the reader to do.

All features of an ePub are done by requesting this feature to be accomplished by the reading software. The document is simple text and a lot of tags requesting the program to do specific things with the text contained within the tags.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #892
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As Harry says it is not a case of the 505 changing the justification applied by Calibre. Justification does not change the document. The document is not changed by any of the CSS functions. It is the display of the document that is changed. If the reading device is not able to support the justification feature then it doesn't matter what the document asks the reader to do.

All features of an ePub are done by requesting this feature to be accomplished by the reading software. The document is simple text and a lot of tags requesting the program to do specific things with the text contained within the tags.

Dale
Ahh, now I sort of understand.

Thanks

Helen
Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #893
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
So I either purchase a new ereader, which I really don't want because I don't like any of the readers currently on the market, or I take Garry Lancaster's suggestion of installing eBookApplications firmware. How do I do this? What effect would it have on the reader? Thanks for the suggestions.

Otherwise I'm stuck with the old lrf's and substandard epub display.
Are the books being uploaded as txt versions, if so I can convert to RTF which looks great on the 505, except that it doesn't handle illustrations. I love the illustrated books which MR members put together. I can only ask, nay beg, that they're uploaded as epub AND lrf
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #894
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
So I either purchase a new ereader, which I really don't want because I don't like any of the readers currently on the market, or I take Garry Lancaster's suggestion of installing eBookApplications firmware. How do I do this? What effect would it have on the reader? Thanks for the suggestions.
Download the PRS-300/505 firmware from here:

http://ebookapplications.com/downloads/

Then just extract the contents of the zip file to the internal memory of the PRS-505. You can also put your preferred fonts into the fonts/ directory that gets created. I prefer Gill Sans, Helvetica Neue or Caecilia; the former looks pretty good in 28pt on the 505.

Whenever you start up the reader (or disconnect it from USB) you'll now get a boot menu allowing you to select from the eBookApplications firmware or the standard Sony firmware. It takes a short while to start the new firmware (with nothing obviously happening).

The changes don't affect the built-in firmware of the PRS-505 at all, and if you don't like it you can just delete the files that were extracted from the zip file, which will remove all trace from your reader.

There are a few rough edges with this software, but it's certainly worth a try to see if you like it.
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #895
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please excuse my lack of techiness, but which bit do I download? The link leads to a page with lots of possible downloads and no obvious zip folder. Please tell me what to do. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #896
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This thread is for discussing books we're working on for the MR library. I'd appreciate it if you could take the other discussions to the appropriate forum, which, in this case, would be the Sony forum.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #897
BookCat
C L J

Sorry, Harry, I was just asking if the books could be uploaded as lrf and the conversation sort of turned into one about my old Sony and epubs. I'll start a thread on the Sony forum.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #898
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - I appreciate that.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #899
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I'm finishing up Mark Twain's "The Gilded Age," thanks to a great big helping hand from Jellby. This book has more CSS than I have ever worked with before, and lots of embedded Unicode fonts for multiple languages, as well as having over 200 illustrations. So it has been an adventure. I hope to have it ready for upload in a few days.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #900
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I'm finishing up Mark Twain's "The Gilded Age," thanks to a great big helping hand from Jellby. This book has more CSS than I have ever worked with before, and lots of embedded Unicode fonts for multiple languages, as well as having over 200 illustrations. So it has been an adventure. I hope to have it ready for upload in a few days.
Great. Looking forward to your next Twain instalment. Are you planning to do Life on the Mississippi some time?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote