Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
acitore
acitore began at the beginning.

Device: none
Map building for books

Hi there-
I have no idea if anyone on here can help me. I've created a guide book for a certain city. My next step is to create maps for each section of the city with the points of interest. I want to insert these at the beginning of each section and then sell the book most likely in print-on-demand method. Due to many travelers being dissatisfied with maps that don't download well onto e-readers, ebook isn't really an option. So, here's my problem/dilemma/question... how do you create a map that can then be inserted into a book? I will most likely use Yandex map site for the mapping as it seems straight forward. However, the map builder is for inserting into websites, not programs. Is it possible to save it and add the map page to a MS Word/Open Office document? I have no idea how companies or other individuals do this.

Anyone with any input from personal experience? Thanks.
acitore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitore View Post
I will most likely use Yandex map site for the mapping as it seems straight forward. However, the map builder is for inserting into websites, not programs. Is it possible to save it and add the map page to a MS Word/Open Office document? I have no idea how companies or other individuals do this.
You're going to want a resolution around 300 dpi at what ever the final print size of the map is. This is usually hard to do using "web resolution" maps from a website.

You'll need to check with Yandex, or whoever you end up sourcing maps from, about a commercial license for whatever maps you plan to use. When doing so they may have more info on getting high quality map images for print.

Not 100% sure how it is with the POD services, but traditionally a book would be layed out in layout software like InDesign or Quark on a page by page basis.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-28-2015 at 07:56 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
acitore
acitore began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Anemic. So in essence, I'd be entering complicated, time consuming territory if I continue? I'm not technologically advanced as it is, so I'm not interested in what this sounds like it'll become. I did wonder about that licensing aspect, but figured most individual authors used google or whatever with no problem. I'll try contacting a few of them seeing what they ended up doing.
acitore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitore View Post
So in essence, I'd be entering complicated, time consuming territory if I continue? I'm not technologically advanced as it is, so I'm not interested in what this sounds like it'll become.
There are services that will do the formatting for you (such as the one run by forum member Hitch), but I can't tell you what kind of cost is involved. I think some POD providers also offer formatting services for an additional fee.

Quote:
I did wonder about that licensing aspect, but figured most individual authors used google or whatever with no problem. I'll try contacting a few of them seeing what they ended up doing.
All of the map providers I can think are only free for non-commercial use.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
All of the map providers I can think are only free for non-commercial use.
Most are. OpenStreetMap (www.openstreetmap.org) is a notable exception. You can also export their maps in a variety of formats. Not sure if high resolution bitmap formats are available, but vector formats are, and high resolution bitmaps could be created from those.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote