Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Indeed, I've been asked to delete any copies when I have claimed for refunds in the past. I'm sure if you repeatedly returned books you would get a caution.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Unlike Amazon's Kindle. folks using other devices actually can have copies of the book on their computer in ways that the seller cannot control.
A positive effect of DRM?
Because Amazon do control copies of the eBook, they can implement easy refunds.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's just the way the Kindle is linked to the Amazon library, I think. The book doesn't have to be DRMed.

Given that it's quite easy to accidentally buy things with One-Click, I kind of suspect that there would be an uprising if they didn't offer this.

On the other hand, the goodwill is probably worth more than the losses from fraud. (And if you're that keen to avoid paying for a book, there are plenty of other easy ways that leave less of a trail.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Yes, quite ridiculous of me to expect people to take responsibility for their own mistakes.
No, but it's ridiculous to think it's bad when a store is able to protect people from their own mistake. Particularly when almost every B&M retailers would accept a return under similar circumstances...which is why people find it strange that only Amazon offers this.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
With Amazon, users can keep a copy as well, I just don't think that users would do this. If you don't go out of our way to keep a copy, the book will be gone from all your devices as soon as they are connected to the internet again. I guess sellers just need to trust their customers if they want to offer returns.
My purchases from Amazon get dowloaded to my computer. Then I run it through Calibre with Alf's Plugins and convert them to epub. They are then added to my Nook Color and backed up on at least two hard drives. Let Amazon try to take them back.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
No, but it's ridiculous to think it's bad when a store is able to protect people from their own mistake. Particularly when almost every B&M retailers would accept a return under similar circumstances...which is why people find it strange that only Amazon offers this.
I don't believe I offered an opinion on the good or bad aspect of anything, I simply asked why the OP should get a refund.

According to the original post there was nothing wrong with the book, he had to open the file to realize HE made a mistake and purchased the wrong one.

Instead of receiving an answer to my question, a feeble, if not pathetic, attempt was made to insult me.

If people are only interested in having their hand held and their illogical beliefs reaffirmed, they should probably turn to a close, personal friend. Expecting the same treatment on a public forum requires a suspension of reality I have no interest in supporting.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It's just the way the Kindle is linked to the Amazon library, I think. The book doesn't have to be DRMed.

Given that it's quite easy to accidentally buy things with One-Click, I kind of suspect that there would be an uprising if they didn't offer this.
I have accidentally bought a Kindle book many times. Speaking of return policy. Audible is currently experimenting with a one. Listen to a book you don't like you have up to a year to return it for something else.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
A year?! Wow. That's better than most B&M stores. I must say, with digital media when you can't try before you buy, having this sort of policy is very attractive.

It seems that to deal with Kobo one must telephone. Stuff happens when you do that. By e-mail you get nowhere quickly. It seems they issue in store credits in situations such as this. So, like Diesel, whilst they say "no returns" it looks like you may be able to get one if the circumstances are right. Still, it does seem that Diesel's policy is more open-minded.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
7 day one-click refund policy on Amazon.com for any reason. Not all stores have this type of policy: I don't think Barnes and Noble let you return ebooks.

Also, I sometimes get formatting and editing updates to ebooks in my library. They get delivered automatically. I love Amazon.
Wasn't Amazon blocking people from amazon store for doing too many returns? I thought I remembered that from years ago. Its been a long time since Ive heard anything so I could definitely be wrong.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Wasn't Amazon blocking people from amazon store for doing too many returns? I thought I remembered that from years ago. Its been a long time since Ive heard anything so I could definitely be wrong.
That's Merchandize. People abusing Prime and having multiple accounts to take advantage of offers or returning a large number of high dollar items.

You can auto return a ebook for up to a week. It as simple as clicking a option on MYK page. It's automated now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
This from Diesel:

Thanks for the note. Our general policy is that we do not refund an ebook after it has been downloaded. If there are errors, we can get a new feed from the supplier or refund at that time. We try to keep our clients happy and loyal.
This is how I read the above: if you call and complain enough (but nicely), we just might give you a refund.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post

Yep. If you do too many returns - whether it be ebooks or physical merchandise - they may close your account. Amazon is not the only retailer that will do this.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've had people ask for refunds after buying my books. It's clear that some people are taking advantage, but not everyone. I don't understand why people would ask for a refund after reading my free book. That's weird. It's not like their time can be refunded. As for me; I've never asked for a refund for a book, digital or otherwise. I take my chances, but then I can afford to do so.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I've had people ask for refunds after buying my books. It's clear that some people are taking advantage, but not everyone. I don't understand why people would ask for a refund after reading my free book. That's weird. It's not like their time can be refunded. As for me; I've never asked for a refund for a book, digital or otherwise. I take my chances, but then I can afford to do so.
That's funny! "Give me back my time!!"
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I don't believe I offered an opinion on the good or bad aspect of anything, I simply asked why the OP should get a refund.

According to the original post there was nothing wrong with the book, he had to open the file to realize HE made a mistake and purchased the wrong one.

Instead of receiving an answer to my question, a feeble, if not pathetic, attempt was made to insult me.

If people are only interested in having their hand held and their illogical beliefs reaffirmed, they should probably turn to a close, personal friend. Expecting the same treatment on a public forum requires a suspension of reality I have no interest in supporting.
Umm, you are clearly offering an opinion. Your question was rhetorical and was an attack on the OP for expecting the same level of service from online sellers as he would expect from a B&M retailer...even if the mistake was his.

I don't know why you would expect any different reaction.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote